RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry to bug you, I am a 1100XX Super Blackbird rider and know nothing about a ZR7 750.

I bought it for my G/F to upgrade from a Hyosung Aquila 250

I am doing repairs to it for a roadworthy, But I have no idea on how to get the battery out of it to replace it as it is cactus,

I did quite a bit of searching but couldnt find a thread on it,

Could one of you blokes tell me how to or point me to a thread that will tell me,

Thanks,
Brian,

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
Welcome!!

Amazing bike you have, your Blackbird. I've ridden one, and lusted over them for years! Someday I'd love to have one in my garage.

Here's a pdf manual for a ZR7 ZR-7 and ZR-7S Maintenance Manual Backup | jadz. I downloaded from there with zero trouble, use it often.

Haven't had to pull the battery on my girlfriend's ZR7, but it looks like you would need to pull seat, tank and airbox intake to get to it. Maybe the sidecovers too. Might be a little different with yours, as you've got the half fairing ZR7s.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that, Done 60,000 kays in 3 years on my Bird, Magic missile for the long hauls, Have a double bubble screen on it and 12 inch risers, I sit bolt upright on it,

Very comfortable and superb handling with the risers, I only slow down for real tite hairpins as the long wheelbase isnt designed for tite Twisties which I mainly ride in,

3 day rides are usually around the 2000 kay mark, which I do quite often, The Snowy Mountains in Victoria Australia, When there is no snow,

Cheers,
Brian,

·
Registered
467 Posts
12 Inch risers? I know I'm not familiar with imperial measurements but that seems like alot. That would be a standard ruler length.

To change the battery:
1. Remove seat
2. Remove the two bolts retaining the tank that are located near the airbox.
3. Remove the grey side panels. (don't have to remove them but it will save you breaking the plastic tabs that click into the tank)
4. Lift tank high enough to get clearance to remove the mounting bracket for the tank. Use a block of wood to prop up the tank. Remove the bolts with a 6mm allen key.
5. Unscrew the screws from the air cleaner cover. These are captive.
6. Remove the cover and you now have access to the battery.

I cut the snorkel extenstion so I can have access to the battery without going through the above process and also so I could fit a higher capacity one in.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks peoples for you advice, I have the battery out, and a brand new one charging up to go in, Half hour or so on a trickle charge to top it up,

Those tabs on the side joined to the fairing and tank were a bit tricky, But its out and alls fine, The old battery was kaput totally,

$99-00 for a new one, Katana, Never heard of it, but they reckon there are all right, I was going to put a Yuasa one in, But I have heard their quality has dropped and are having a lot of problems with them,
And very expensive if it craps itself, But She rides long distances by herself, And I dont want her breaking down in the sticks, due to battery problems,

My risers are the same as sitting on a Goldwing or ST1300, Etc,

See piccys below,

Heather trying out her new Kwaka,
The roads I ride on, That particular road is 115 KLMs long and its all twisties, Thats a straight bit in the piccy, Bonang Hwy,
My risers,
Standard clips ons on a Black, Blackbird, They are crap. Hunched over, Aches in the back and arms, cramps in the legs, Long distance through the Twisties, Good grief, PITFA, I dont know how people can ride like that,

12 inches is 300 Millimetres,

Cheers,
Brian,

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Wow, those are some risers. But I certainly understand your reasoning, although mine on the ZR-7S are only an inch up and an inch back, IIRC. And what a gorgeous-looking stretch of road.

·
Registered
5,468 Posts
I know this is an old thread but I wanted to update it with a video I found on how to get at your battery for those that have no idea. This one is for the gastank removal, but the beginning shows you how to access the battery.

Reactions: GreyGhost
1 - 10 of 10 Posts