RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
9,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
raced my buddies honda vtx 1800f the other day. 1st gear roll on took him by about 3-4 lengths, only went to about 110 mph then backed out. same with 4th and 5th gear rolling starts. the vtx is bone stock but it has way more power than my vz1600 but I have done a few things to wake it up.
All in all it was a good beat down:agree:

·
Registered
998 Posts
Lucky for you, your friend doesn't know how to drive yet. A VTX 1800 will spank a meanie with the big 3.

·
Registered
228 Posts
maybe he doesn't know how to ride it properly..? The VTX1800 is supposed to pull a 12.3 sec. quarter mile at 105.5 mph. The stock meanie pulls 13.58 sec. at 98.4 mph.

Does the 'big 3' really improve the streak enough to drop its quarter mile over a full second..?

·
Registered
9,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He has been riding for many years, and yes this bike runs very well. I spank 103 ci 100+hp harleys all the time and do the same to quite a few unsuspecting crotch rockets as well. As for the 1/4 mile times ? But on the street it is a sleeper.
Thanks for all your support:nono:

·
Registered
228 Posts
Do these "100+hp harley" and "unsuspecting crotch rocket" riders actually realize you're racing prior to launch...

..its not about support.. its about reality. Most of us here are aware of where the meanie stacks up and/or fails against the competition. So, unless you forgot to list "big bore" or something else in your sig......

·
Registered
724 Posts
My buddies 1800 routinely packs my lunch, if I jump him, I may hold for a while, but no matter what, he'll pass me at some point, Meanie's just can't hang with the extra 300 cc's (in my case).

Jon

·
Registered
998 Posts
I have raced one VTX 1800 and I did beat him pretty bad (just short of an 1/8th mile track, about 600'), but it was his first time racing it. If he knew what he was doing and was able to get a good take off, it would have been a pretty close race....but I still would've kicked that a$$....lol

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Ok, I'll say it...

Congrats on winning the race! A victory is a victory (and a harley is a harley). HA!!! If it's a confidence booster and makes you love your bike even more, then I see NO problem with that at all. Glad you spanked him!

I've blown by a few bikes in my time, none of which was an all-out race or that they suspected anything, though. ;) But sometimes it's good to think that the person you just passed is sitting there thinking "WHAT THE @#[email protected]#$ JUST HAPPENED?!?!?"!!!!

:D

·
Registered
860 Posts
My buddies 1800 routinely packs my lunch, if I jump him, I may hold for a while, but no matter what, he'll pass me at some point, Meanie's just can't hang with the extra 300 cc's (in my case).

Jon
I was at a friend's outdoor party last summer and rode to it. I parked next to a VTX not knowing who's it was. After awhile of mingling, the bike topic came up and he asked if that was my bike out front and if I wanted to go one on one with him. I asked and confirmed he owned the VTX. When he said yes, I simply said "you win".

The MS can't hang with any of the power cruisers (Warrior, VTX, V-Rod). Then again, I didn't buy it to race, I bought it to cruise.

·
Registered
724 Posts
I was at a friend's outdoor party last summer and rode to it. I parked next to a VTX not knowing who's it was. After awhile of mingling, the bike topic came up and he asked if that was my bike out front and if I wanted to go one on one with him. I asked and confirmed he owned the VTX. When he said yes, I simply said "you win".

The MS can't hang with any of the power cruisiers (Warrior, VTX, V-Rod). Then again, I didn't buy it to race, I bought it to cruise.
Me too, and it does that extremely well.

Jon

·
Registered
18 Posts
My dad has an 1800R and hes is 150lbs heavier than me and his bike is heavier than mine. Theres no contest. The VTX owns me unless he bangs the rev limiter.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Every thing I have read on the MS and its comparison to other bikes - The MS does not stand up to the other bikes in a head to head - But the MS does out handle all of them. I personally have had my lunch handed to me - especially when she doesn't go into 2nd gear from first on the hard accel - more then just a couple times. I to didn't by my bike for the SPEED - I bought her for the MEAN LOOK - I get so many complimants on how my bike looks.

But with that being said - I do agree that a win is a win. Congrats :)

·
Registered
22 Posts

Jon
Cubes are power in most cases I know, but do they not make cams, etc... then porting and inj's for these? Just curious. One would think flow ported heads and/or oversize valves and cams (+/- injectors) would be worth a good 20+ with the extra 15+ you get with a PCIII and normal breathing mods... At 640lbs the HP to weight ratio says mid 11's if so :righton:

·
Registered
724 Posts
Cubes are power in most cases I know, but do they not make cams, etc... then porting and inj's for these? Just curious. One would think flow ported heads and/or oversize valves and cams (+/- injectors) would be worth a good 20+ with the extra 15+ you get with a PCIII and normal breathing mods... At 640lbs the HP to weight ratio says mid 11's if so :righton:
From what I have seen and read, these motors aren't going to make more than ~75HP and ~ 85ftlb TQ with a good "big three" installed. The large bore kits are a whole different story. These things weigh ~ 700 pounds wet, not 640. So, without a bump in cubes, we're done, The 1800 makes 96HP and 120ftlb TQ and weighs about 775 pounds.

Jon

·
Registered
975 Posts
Cubes are power in most cases I know, but do they not make cams, etc... then porting and inj's for these? Just curious. One would think flow ported heads and/or oversize valves and cams (+/- injectors)
You're correct that its not all about cubes, but instead its how you use them. Thats why a 1130cc v-rod will best an 1800 vtx. ..but unfortunately our meanies fail to compete on either end of that spectrum, even with the 'big 3'.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Even with all that you're most likely to only have about 75hp. The VTX has something over 100hp ( I read one time 123hp).
Motorcycle Cruiser did a big bore upgrade to a Mean Streak and could only get low 12s in the quarter. http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/tech/kwasaki_mean_streak_custom/index.html

·
Registered
22 Posts
From what I have seen and read, these motors aren't going to make more than ~75HP and ~ 85ftlb TQ with a good "big three" installed. The large bore kits are a whole different story. These things weigh ~ 700 pounds wet, not 640. So, without a bump in cubes, we're done, The 1800 makes 96HP and 120ftlb TQ and weighs about 775 pounds.

Jon
Figures. I was going off archive threads, where I read they were 634lbs w/ fliuds no gas and the 1600 was 76hp and 88ft.lbs stock. A big bore kit would be easier done repowered with a salvage crasher I'd imagine. Bummer... I have a HP problem with all my stuff. I stopped at just under 1200 on the Durumax. Thanx tho bud...T

·
Registered
998 Posts
640lbs. is a dry weight, and no, those mods will get you low 12's, possibly a high 11 with a light driver.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts