RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Gold Member/Community Dad
5,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kind of curious about this Honda Beast, huge torque, V-twin, but doesn't have the pose factor or something. I see a bunch of slightly used ones for sale and heavy discounts on the New 1800's. Guess the 1300's aren't gonna do alot better since they look the same.

Not interested in one, but wondering if anyone noticed that or even cares about this cruiser.

·
Wants to be "Fade"....
2,600 Posts
Berto said:
Kind of curious about this Honda Beast, huge torque, V-twin, but doesn't have the pose factor or something. I see a bunch of slightly used ones for sale and heavy discounts on the New 1800's. Guess the 1300's aren't gonna do alot better since they look the same.

Not interested in one, but wondering if anyone noticed that or even cares about this cruiser.
Not.........:laugh:

·
Registered
131 Posts
I think most riders felt it was too big but the power was nice. The 1300 has gotten positive reviews in the press and seems to be the better buy. The 1300 is a more balanced machine. I'd love to ride a VTX just to experience the massive torque.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Berto

I've heard that there is just too much too these things. Like Camelotknight was saying, the smaller ones are getting better reviews. For a little less umph and weight, you have a more usefull bike. I think the stigma has been that these things were never as impressive as the Harleys were, and the goal was to outdo the displacement. Zuke, kawi, and Yami have proved that they can build big beautiful cruisers. This one was a frankenstein.
The 1300 is the better bike.
Ed Gray

·
The Deer Slayer
7,382 Posts
I remember a television bike magazine(remember those, what happened?) that reviewed it very favorably when it first hit. I see them around, and I like them actually. I like the street rod makeover look rather than the classic cruiser look. Meaning, there are loads of ways to easily customise this bike.

But, I think the Yamaha's are the most popular. You see them everywhere, often in groups. I've talked to many Yamaha riders who have switched from Harley. Those are mostly classic cruiser like bikes.

Honda's all over the place in the big cruiser bike market though. Also with the flat 6 engined bikes. Can't wait to see one of the "Ruin...Rune...how is it spelled?" on the road.

·
West Coast Moderator
12,996 Posts
I pulled up next to a 1500 Mean Streak last week. If I were to buy a cruiser, that would be the one sitting in the garage at night.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I've always thought the VTX series was ugly. That headlight ruins the entire bike, but it's not like the rest of it is that great looking either.

I like the Warrior (except for the exhaust), the Meanstreak is pretty cool, and I am actually kind of fond of the V-Rod. I'm still a V-Max fan, too, but my favorite is far and away the new Vegas.

D

·
0 Posts
Similarities

Let's see . . . oversized, heavy, loud, image-driven, not real useful in day-to-day living - sounds just like my brother-in-law! I guess that's why he just bought one.

It fits him to a "T" and I like that bike about as much as I like him.

·
The Commander
5,020 Posts
It's the same as the V-Rod. Just wait a year..... you'll be picking it up for a tiny fraction of the outrageous asking price on the used market! :laugh: It's just a flash-in-the-pan marketing ploy to come out with the "baddest" cruiser around, sell a s&*t-load of them to all of the "baddest" wannabe's around in the first two years of production, then move on and try to create the next "baddest" cruiser. Now that the newness of the "largest v-twin on the planet" has worn off, people are realizing that the bike is everything Douglas noted (except I can't confirm the brother-in-law comment...). ;)

·
Silver Member
336 Posts
Baddest? I'll tell you what is baddest! Spend any significant amount of time in the saddle of one of these low-slung cruisers and you'll have the baddest buttache imaginable. Buttocks lower than knees, and feet way out front equals: uncomfortable.

·
Johnny Blue Lightnin'
12,134 Posts
I never understood how people can say that the cruiser position is so comfortable for long rides. All of your weight is on your butt and your back is arched forward to reach over your feet to the bars. Granted those seats may be 6 inches thick but you can't move. You're locked into that one position. But I guess that since you are supposed to rest the backs of your ankles on the highway pegs and put your feet to sleep you can't stop.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I accidently came accross this thread.. I notice that these posts were back in 2003. I owned 2 vtx 1800C and I love mine.. I love the power and the acceleration... As far as it being heavy . Well it is a 700+ lb bike.. But I am strong so I guess maybe women shouldn't ride one... I find my bike to be comfortable and enjoyable to ride. I get a ton of compliments on my bike everywhere I go. As fas as being loud, well stock it isn't but I made mine loud. As an old biker told me once "son, Loud pipes save lives", they might not see you but they hear you. I am 45 and been riding bikes since I was 12. I enjoy all types of bikes. I was sad all this bashing from a group of people that never even rode one before... Sure the 1800 is a big beast almost 8 feet long with a ton of torgue and HP.. It is not for everyone.. But for me it is a reliable fun bike and I really don't mind the weight.. at 100+ MPH is as smooth as glass on the highway..

·
Registered
3 Posts
I totally agree with mtrcyclmadman.
I picked up mine 3 days ago and so far I love it. It is heavy beast to move, but the acceleration and power are awesome. You can feel the acceleration even at 80 mph. I have ridden with many guys and have no problem to keep up with anyone. I also feel I ride half of the speed (80mph feels like 40mph). It seems to be very comfortable. I will let you know after my first round trip to NYC in one day (250 miles).

·
Registered
630 Posts
One of my co-workers has a VTX1800 (C, I think, but not sure). My first impression on walking around it was, "Jesus, this thing is huge!!!! I can't see how it is remotely practical in an urban environment( I live in Portland, OR), and I can't imagine commuting, or stop-and-go traffic. It was certainly nice looking, good paint and chrome, but it just doesn't add up for me. IMHO, of course........

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just came across this post through google. I had to sign up to reply. I've had my 2002 VTX 1800C since it was new. I got over $1000 off of the msrp. Some dealers offered nothing at the time. I have seen some 2 year old NEW VTX's with very low prices.I don't understand why Between the VTX 1300 & 1800...the price difference wasn't far enough apart. Just the fuel injection and the hydraulic clutch were worth the $$ difference . I LOVE mine. I'm 6 feet tall and weigh 200 lbs, and feel like i'm on a kids toy whenever I've sat on any friends Harley or smaller bikes. The VTX feels so stable, even at high speeds. I do have to keep looking back to see if my girlfriend is still on the back, because of the power.

·
Registered
5,954 Posts
When searching for my first cruiser I went through a lot of different Metric Brands and classes from the Vulcan 900 to the M109R to find my fit.
I was almost on the flip of the coin between the VTX 1800 and the Meanstreak I own today. I've ridden the VTX and honestly that's what did it for me. Gobs of power and torque feel on every stroke that under acceleration made it feel choppy (Not as bad as My V-Max)..I guess if your into that its cool but I wanted a smooth accel. The second factor that swung me over to the Meanstreak was the center of gravity. It was a lot higher on the VTX 1800. I looked at the 1300 (never rode that one) But the performance stats were not as good as the MS..Just my personal View of what lead me to make a MS decision..I know a few people that are 1800 owners and they love the bike and thats great. I jump on one from time to time just to solidify the reasoning of my decision and sleep well knowing I made the right one for me.
Having said all that, I wouldnt challange a VTX1800 to a race unless I had a head start.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank You mtrcyclmadman and thegoodbyte, My husband rides the VTX 1800 and we do a lot of cross country rides. We pull trailers behind us and I’m left in the dust on the up hills...I ride a Yamaha Roadstar Silverado 1700...not a little bike either. The torque on the VTX is ridiculously awesome. Yes it's a big bike but my husband is 6' 5" and solid so it fits him perfectly. I'm 5'3" (Not heavy either) and have ridden his bike with no problem with the weight, however if it was breezy I'd have issues while stoped. I do have a hard time with reaching the ground with solid footing.

As for all the other guys, I can understand the confusion. I too was a crotch rocket baby and LOVED the light weight zippy profile speed demon bikes. In fact, that's all I rode until my third child came a long and I had a rude awakening LOL...I need to be around to raise these kiddos so I traded in my speed demon joy for a cruiser. As for distance, the cruisers are surprisingly comfortable and there are several positions to sit the bike. I find myself reverting to my Ninja days leaning forward over the tank with my feet on the back pegs :) oh yes, comfortable.

Both of our bikes are full dress for the long rides but everything strips off really quickly for the sportier look when we’re feeling the need for speed and a little “Bad ***” moment. They’re quit sexy bikes in my oppenion

I guess all I'm saying, don't knock it until you try it
P.S. My Dad rides the Boss Hoss....now you want to talk big bike!? V8 Corvette engine 350 short block! Now that's a Bad *** Bike!

·
Registered
211 Posts

You might want to read this review on the VTX1800. If I were to go out and buy a new power cruiser I would buy the Harley vrod Muscle. Here is a link for the VTX review. 2005 Honda VTX 1800 Comparo - Motorcycle USA

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Have one, and love it

Seems like it's been a few years since this thread started, and very few who have contributed to it have actually ridden a VTX 1800. I bought an '08 VTX 1800T and love it! It handles very well, at any speed, and has enough power to NEVER be left behind. My ONLY "quibble", is that the windshield is too low. I guess that was to accommodate the poseurs who might have been seduced by the power, but weren't actually prepared to handle this beast. Great looking bike that always gets positive remarks from passers-by. Wonderful ride on the highway, with Honda dependability as a bonus.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts