RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My O.E.M. Bridgestone has 20,159 miles on it.(The front was replaced at 14K.)

What is the highest mileage you've gotten out of a rear tire?

·
Banned
679 Posts

What is the highest mileage you've gotten out of a rear tire?
Changed my front at 10k...rear is still going at 14k.

·
Banned
357 Posts
3,700 rear

5,433 front has state required 2mm of thread left to pass inspection. Tire to be changed within next 600 miles.

Pirelli Dragon Super Corsa Pros.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I got 8,600 out of the rear. At 11,500 now, the front will be changed in 1,000 miles or so.

·
Registered
10,328 Posts
It is not typical for the rear tire to outlast the front. You must be hard on the front brakes and corners, but real easy on the acceleration and rear braking.

What are your OEM tires?

·
Registered
462 Posts
I replaced both of the OEM BT021s at 6500 miles. Both were pretty far down on the tread. More importantly, I believe, they were 4 years old.

P.S. I bought the bike used.

·
Banned
679 Posts
It is not typical for the rear tire to outlast the front. You must be hard on the front brakes and corners, but real easy on the acceleration and rear braking.

What are your OEM tires?
Yea my mechanic said the same thing. I like to think I ride the corners hard and I accelerate hard but not so much from a stop. I only use my brakes at stop lights, traffic situations and emergencies and I like to think I apply front and rear equally but I'm prob relying on the front more being that that where 90% of the braking is. Battleaxe 021s I think

·
Registered
10,328 Posts
Yea my mechanic said the same thing. I like to think I ride the corners hard and I accelerate hard but not so much from a stop. I only use my brakes at stop lights, traffic situations and emergencies and I like to think I apply front and rear equally but I'm prob relying on the front more being that that where 90% of the braking is. Battleaxe 021s I think
Where did you get the 90% from? I've always heard 70%. The original tires on the '07 were BT020s. Both were worn at the same time and somewhere around 9000 miles..

·
Banned
679 Posts
Where did you get the 90% from? I've always heard 70%. The original tires on the '07 were BT020s. Both were worn at the same time and somewhere around 9000 miles..
Not sure where; but some body once told me that it was 90% in the front. I don't recall the tire spec, could be 20s; the sport touring tire. My front wheel was worn unevenly, more so on the left side... mechanics said it was probably a combination of a few things, being better at left turns (which was true at the time) and roads being curved for rain runoff. They were shocked to see how intact my rear was tho. But we'll see how this front wears...keep in mind that was my first set of tires on my first street bike ever.

·
Registered
366 Posts
NO WAY! (unless you ride at a snail's pace or put it in gear for hours on a rear stand). The front tire mileage sounds right tho.

Best was 7,100 with the OEM BT020, average 6,500 on several different brands.

·
Registered
10,328 Posts
NO WAY! (unless you ride at a snail's pace or put it in gear for hours on a rear stand). The front tire mileage sounds right tho.

I do know that the BT021s came on the later bikes and are supposed to have improved mileage. I have them on my bike now. Of course now they have the BT023s for sport touring.

I agree though that that much mileage sounds too good to be true.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I do know that the BT021s came on the later bikes and are supposed to have improved mileage. I have them on my bike now. Of course now they have the BT023s for sport touring.
I've tried the 021's too, didn't get any better mileage or traction than I do with the Shinko Ravens & 021's were more expensive.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I got 9000 out of my 005 front Shinko, and 13000 out of my 009 rear.

As far as braking goes, I'm beginning to realize that the % numbers we all hear so much seem to be based on cruisers more than sportbikes. When I have ridden cruisers, the rear brake seems to remain effective even under hard application of front binders; on sportbikes, heavy application of front brakes renders the rear less useful or airborne. I think it has much to do with how the chassis is engineered.

while heavily braking on my father's Vrod, the rear is quite effictive, as well as on my roomates cx 650. On my ninja, heavy front brakes makes the rear so light as to be ineffective.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Yeah those braking percentages vary from bike to bike. But I think the real point of those numbers is to show that the front brake has more stopping power than the rear.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

WAY!

I use the bike about 90% for commuting, on backroads, running an indicated 10mph over the limit. On the weekends, the wife and I will put on a couple hundred miles, in the mountains.

Front tire was worn smooth when I replaced it, but the stock Bridgstone rear, just keeps going. (Just barely now, down to the first wear indicator.) I have run about 36 psi, in the tire, since it was new.

Heck, the chain wore out, a couple months ago. I can't figure out, why this tire is lasting so long.:confuse:

·
Registered
540 Posts
all these mileages are unbelievable to me... 5k.. maybe?.. lol

·
Registered
10,328 Posts
WAY!

I use the bike about 90% for commuting, on backroads, running an indicated 10mph over the limit. On the weekends, the wife and I will put on a couple hundred miles, in the mountains.

Front tire was worn smooth when I replaced it, but the stock Bridgstone rear, just keeps going. (Just barely now, down to the first wear indicator.) I have run about 36 psi, in the tire, since it was new.

Heck, the chain wore out, a couple months ago. I can't figure out, why this tire is lasting so long.:confuse:
Did you buy this bike new and these are the stock tires that came on the bike? Or did you buy it used and the PO happened to put a new tire on the rear because of wear or a flat?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Just over 9500 on stock B-stones and I will be replacing both soon, Rear is past wear indicators and the front is right at the wear indicators. Hoping to have them last through January - when our real winter comes in and then add fresh meat for this spring.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Did you buy this bike new and these are the stock tires that came on the bike? Or did you buy it used and the PO happened to put a new tire on the rear because of wear or a flat?
I bought the bike new. Chalk it up to driving like an old fart.

Tire is down to the wear marks now, but I'll easily get thru the winter, and replace them both in March. I'd like to try the new Shinko 011's.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts