RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
MotoMacGyver
2,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the Bar Snake really work? I know some people swear that the -7 has no obtrusive vibes in the handlebars, but sometimes it puts my hands and wrists numb within minutes for over an hour at a time. I'd really like to get rid of them. How does it work for you?

Emrah

P.S. Someone a while back posted another alternative to this. They put in some kind of caulking in the tubes themselves, then capped them. I think a reply went out asking what happens (if it does) when the caulk dries. I don't think the thread went any further than that. If anyone knows, please add your 2 (or ten) cents in as well.

·
The Commander
5,020 Posts
The bar snake definitely reduces vibration. It not only dampens the vibes, but also seems to change the frequency of the remaining vibes to a lower level, which is much more confortable than the high-frequency vibes. I've been happy with it.

P.S. - If your hands are going numb within minutes, you're holding the bars WAAYYYY too tight. I know, because I used to do the same thing. Relax your grip and make sure your elbows are not locked when you're riding, and you'll find that you can eliminate the numbness without changing anything on the bike.

·
West Coast Moderator
12,996 Posts
You may also wanna change your bar position just a tad. I had a combination of the 2 working against me (grip too tight was my fault), but once I got the "Throttle Rocker" and made myself loosen up, it helped, but it still wasn't enough so I brought my bars closer to me and that pretty much eliminated the problem except on those real long freeway runs. That's just fatigue.

·
MotoMacGyver
2,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I've tried a coupel of positions too, and make sure I have a loose (well, not loose, but not tight) grip.

Actually, I'm glad you (Jarel) mentioned about not locking elbows. I found out pretty quickly during "sporty" mountain riding that unlocking my elbows allows me to lean forward and lower with the bike as I'm going through turns. It allows me to hang off the bike a little better. The results of how well you can take a sweeper (not just speed-wise, mind you, but technique-wise and smoothness as well) quickly become evident. It's almost as if you're "dropping" an elbow into a corner and bike follows.

Before I try the Bar Snake, though, do you think a regular rubber hose would also do the job? Is the Bar Snake solid inside?

Emrah

Z

·
0 Posts
hmmmmm...I've been thinking...I wonder if you could fill the bar with steel shot or BB's? Would that help? It seems that it would not be as messy as the silicone thing.....Any thoughts?

I tried to get the end bars off the other day...How the heck anyone got them off is beyond me....They're on there pretty tight, I couldn't get the screw out without stripping it.....So I gave up trying, I didn't want to strip the screw head...Any ideas from those who did get them out?

Thanks,

Pete
:yell:

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
pete, i got mine out but it was a bear. basically i got a screwdriver that fit the screw perfectly with a great handle. they're in super tight and lock-tited to boot.

but this may not help you as much as you think. the zr doesn't use a standard open ended bar. the ends have plates welded on that are tapped to accept the special ends. i think the 7s has different, larger ends but that the bars are the same.

so removing the ends would only give you two small holes that bb's wouldn't fit through.

you may be able to remove the controls and pass bb's in through the locator holes which i think are larger.

will it help? dunno but i think it might rattle a helluva lot ;)

scott

·
Wheelie for Safety
1,550 Posts
I'm with Jarel, just don't hold the grip too tight. Also wear gloves that have good padding.

But if you insist on adding weight to your bike try adding some extra big dumbbells like I did.

Now when I ride my bike there are three dumbbells.

Andy

·
Wheelie for Safety
1,550 Posts
Tom,

I just couldn't resist... Now when I go around corners both my peg extenders and bar ends scrape. You should see the sparks fly!

Andy

·
The Commander
5,020 Posts
emrah said:
Before I try the Bar Snake, though, do you think a regular rubber hose would also do the job? Is the Bar Snake solid inside?

Emrah
Yes Emrah, the Bar Snake is just a solid rubber tube. It's quite heavy rubber, in fact. I think the value is that it's designed to fit perfectly inside a 7/8" handlebar. You'd probably have a hard time finding a piece of regular rubber that fits perfectly like that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts