RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
West Coast Moderator
12,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to be looking for another play bike sometime this year. I was looking at the XR250 , but I'm really starting to like the look of the KTM.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Martin- I'm not Chuck, but I gotta tell you that I happened across a KTM store the other day and I found the most awesomely awesome bike of my dreams. KTM LC4. Check out the KTM site at www.ktmusa.com. It's not a very informative site, but it does have some pics.

This bike makes the Japanese dual purpose bikes look like absolute junk. Forget what I said before about the Suzuki DRZ400S. It's Junk. The KTM LC4 the dealer has on the floor is a 2001 leftover. MSRP of $7000, on sale for $6000. Metallic silver and black. I'm trying to figure out how to get it but I have a few obstacles, like a wife, a mortgage, a ZR-7 payment, and a Honda Odyssey payment. :mad:

Go with the KTM!!! I'm definitely getting one when I can swing it.

kelly

·
The Deer Slayer
7,382 Posts
Enduro's are so great for pure raw grunt, mile wide smiles, wheelies, fast trails, great fun. Used to own an old Yamaha 500xt, Silver aluminum gas tank, very sweet. Loved this bike, almost to death. By the way, the link no workey...Think I'll just search to find it, sounds really cool.

tony

·
The Deer Slayer
7,382 Posts
Hey Kelly, that worked. Yeah, that's an enduro all right ! So, why are the Jap bikes junk in comparison ? Guess you've seen the KTM in the flesh ? KTM is Swedish ? Why don't I know this ?

·
MotoMacGyver
2,546 Posts
KTM is Austrian. And I want a Duke II. Bad.

Emrah

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
if you're looking for a duke you may want to be patient. KTM is working on a 900cc v-twin that they plan to put in a duke style super motard bike. here's a link to another bike of theirs that has a v-twin: http://www.motorcycle.com/mo/mcktm/00lc8.html
my friend who sold his ducati 916 and bought a duke is drooling. he says the duke is one of the best handling bikes he's ever been on but that he'd love to have his ducati engine in it.

scott :)

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
I don't know what specifically it is about the KTM, but just the overall package that seems so well thought out and so darn no-no-nonsense. The Jap bikes just seem like afterthoughts put together with cheap parts. Yes, I saw the KTM in the flesh, and they had to wipe the drool off the floor. My 16 year old daughter had to pull me away from the store.

I guess it's because KTM makes almost exclusively dirt bikes. It's just recently that they made some "street bikes", which are pretty much built on the enduro platform and made street legal. The Japanese seem content with their street bike and motocross sales, and don't take this market seriously.

If you didn't check out the details while on the KTM site, here's the shortcut-

http://www.ktmusa.com/modelle/features_3460.asp

But the kicker is... The bike is THE SAME PRICE as many "lesser" (in my opinion) Japanese products like the aged XL650.

kelly

·
The Deer Slayer
7,382 Posts
That does look well put together. You just gotta love a great enduro. Cool inner-city bike as well as fire trail bike.

Tony

1 - 11 of 11 Posts