RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Silver Member
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had incident today. Forgot to take off disk lock. broke speedo cable and bent left rotor.
Dealer wants $227 for rotor(guess same part # for both sides)
Does anyone know where i can get one cheaper?
Also i need left side turn signals and barend weight.

Is there anything else i should look out for. bike seems to be ok, forks don't seem to be effected at all. at speed i get vibration in the front but then the caliper is shaking like crazy.
:mecry:

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
first, don't feel too bad. i've pulled off with a disk lock still attached a few times too :)

second, get one of these:
http://www.kryptonitelock.com/inetisscripts/abtinetis.exe/[email protected]?artid=2697&atf=products_item&pgrp=20
so it doesnt happen again ;) you can also use this to lock up your jacket. i do.

sounds like the disk is toast. remove the pads and check to see if they're bent. lay them metal side down on a glass plate and see if they sit flat. if not get new ones. also examine the braking surface. you can do a minor resurfacing with sandpaper. you'll also want to remove and examine the little plate that has two pins running through it that guides the pads. and all mounting hardware. if any pieces are bent straighten them or get a new ones. basically examine everything you can. if it looks bent get a new one.

scott :)

·
Silver Member
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks scott. i didn't even think about checking the pads. should i worry about the forks or anything like that? the caliper seems to be fine didn't bend or at least it seems to have the same clearence as the other side. when it happened the front wheel skidded about 3inches and of course i laid the bike down on the left side since i wasn't expecting this to happen.

I scratched the mirror and turn signals, does anyone have these for sale cheap:mecry:

·
Registered
373 Posts
I still have both sets of my turn signals (stock). I don't plan on using them again and will probably end up trashing them. Make me an offer I can't refuse. I will have stock mirrors for sale in about a week also. Waiting for my new bar-ends to arrive. Same deal on those. Sorry to hear about your mishap. My philosophy is if someone wants to steal my bike bad enough they will. So why bother with locks and chains? That is what my insurance is for.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
i wouldn't worry too much about the caliper itself. check the mounting bolts, where they go into the caliper and where they go into the fork leg. a new unbent bolt should thread in easily if nothing is bent. if those spots look ok then you should be alright. don't think you could bend the fork legs but at least give them a good lookover.

i don't know if you'll be able to get parts at a salvage yard since the bike is pretty new and rare but ansy'd right about checking with cycle-parts.com

scott :)

·
MotoMacGyver
2,546 Posts
Hey Luvchild,

If Boxsky doesn't want both of the front signals, I'd like the other one. I need to replace my left front one also, but I think they're interchangeable, so a right side one will do.

Let me know,

Emrah

·
Registered
373 Posts
Boxsky and EM,

I will check here to see how much they cost and then ship them to you for 50% + shipping cost. How's that? I have no use for them anymore. Em, the mirror I have to keep until my new handle bar and mirrors arrive.

·
Silver Member
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i canceled my order today for the disk and cable with local dealer, they wantd 260 fo them. instead a bought off a guy from ebay both disk and cable for $40. the dealer said instead of 227 they could sell the disk for 183. that's a 40 mark up. i have bought very few items (oil,filter) from the dealer at msrp i always haggle and they always have reduced the price

·
MotoMacGyver
2,546 Posts
Luvchild,

I only want the turn signal if Boxsky doesn't want both. I need the left front one, but I think the left and right sides are interchangeable, so the right side one should do. Let me know how much.

Thanks,

Emrah

·
Maintenance Overlord
5,609 Posts
disc locks with cords

For those who use disc locks, I have seen them with a bright irredescent spiral cord attached to disc lock, the other end of the cord is attached to the handle bar grips and in this way the rider hopefully removes the disc lock before starting off.

It is a simple reminder for the rider to remove the disc lock.

Graeme Gould at Byron Bay the most Easterly part of Australia.

·
West Coast Moderator
12,996 Posts
I have the perfect "reminder" for ya. E-mail me an address and I'll send it to you. No joke. You'll love it.

·
West Coast Moderator
12,996 Posts
Enjoy!.....does it fit the grip?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts