RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK as it states in the subject line.....

I needed to replace the gasket on the valve cover or what ever its called on the top of the engine and after done so i now have some kind of sputtering when throttling up to around 2-3000rpms. after that it runs like there is little power and sounds rough. Any help or suggestions??

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OK maybe i should be little more specific.....

03 Z1000 with approximately 13000mi. I do not run a PC3 and the only thing i have is a muzzy 4 to 1.

It was running fine before the gasket change out just leaking oil along the front of the head of the engine. I decided to change out the valve cover gasket taking all the necessary steps as per the manual and then (thought) i returned it all back to normal. Well at least there were no bolts or nuts left behind. So i wanted to let the RTV settle in a bit before i actually rode it. I let it sit over night and drive it to work today and it was running pretty rough(sputtering):wtf: up to around 3000 rpm then it would hit like a turbo charger and take off. It also stalled on me a couple times at stop signs. So now i am at a loss of what to do. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Did you use the proper sealant for the gasket? Did you apply enough sealant for the gasket to create a proper seal with the valve cover? Are your bolts tightened to spec? These are the only things I can think of as of right now...good luck though!

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks. I am pretty sure the bolts are tight. it seems like a fuel, vacuum or spark issue. I looked at it again tonight and its sounds like its flooding. I am not too sure where to go from there.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i think we found the cause of the sputtering. A buddy and i were trouble shooting the issue and as i was pulling the spark plug coils the number 3 coil sounded like something was rattling around on the inside of it. SO i think that this might be the cause of it not getting spark at low RPMs. I will be ordering a new one and see if this corrects it.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Is your gas tank vent line pinched?

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
evilbologna: Im not sure about the emissions stuff your talking about. I went back over all the bolts and made sure they were tight.

ZR1Kawi: that was one of my thoughts but I made sure there were no kinks or pinches with any of the lines especially the ones that have to do with the fuel.

like i said i will be getting a new coil to see if that is the cause. I will have to trouble shoot some more if the coil isn't the issue.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hey "AKSnowman" how difficult would you say the job was?
I need to replace mine as it leaks in the left corner, just wondering how long it took you and where did you buy the gasket kit? Thanks.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
it wasnt as difficult as i thought it was going to be. i can say one thing though, make sure you engine is completely clean before starting your fix. mine had some dirt and salt caught between the engine and the front rad guard that i didn't know was even there..... Also be careful taking out spark plug coil #3 its kind of tricky trying to maneuver it out. I think i broke mine by accident trying to remove it. they are not cheap. Over all it took me about a couple hours or so.

i bought my gasket from bike bandit for around 11.00 or so.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts