RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All!

Any idea where can I get a set of ignition keys for '07 Vulcan Mean Steak SE? I lost both of my keys :(.

TIA

Jose

·
Registered
347 Posts
My buddy lost his keys to his R1 and paid a locksmith to come out and make him some new keys. It took about an hour or so and cost him around $90, but normal price was about $120.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Correct me if I am wrong,(I have been wrong many times) but I believe you can contact the dealer with the VIN and get the correct key already cut. I think they contact the mfr. for the key info.
The locksmith would be quicker.

·
Banned
3,123 Posts
I believe you can contact the dealer with the VIN and get the correct key already cut. I think they contact the mfr. for the key info.
Call a dealer or two and a locksmith or three.
The locksmith is usually the best option.
Either way, you are likely to need to prove ownership.
If you don't have a title in your name................

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
Correct me if I am wrong,(I have been wrong many times) but I believe you can contact the dealer with the VIN and get the correct key already cut. I think they contact the mfr. for the key info.
Nope. The only way to get a cut replacement that I've ever seen (as a Kawasaki dealer for many years) was if you had the cut key number. Without that...you need to get a locksmith to cut a key from the very overpriced factory blank!

Make sure you have proof of ownership (title or registration...insurance won't always work...anybody can get insurance on ANYTHING) in hand before you call them.

·
Registered
8,691 Posts
I cut a few keys for old hondas back in my parts guy days.

It could have worked. You'd look up the vin in your magic book...There were only 8-10, no, it was 12..... different "keys", so it was not as if you had millions to choose from. Then you grab the proper blank and pattern.

Problem was we cut 2-3 keys , per year, and you can imagine the level of care given to the key machine. It was a pos, and not accurate.

Let me describe it like this..

HBK, your dad owned the shop for many years. I'm guessing you were the guy who had to do anything and everything else, and cover for anyone who was not there. For decades.

How many keys did you cut?

Or, you find proper blank and call someoen who cuts keys....

·
Registered
10,325 Posts
If I had a dollar for every post about losing keys. ;)

I have yet to lose a key, but based on all the posts, I make sure I have an original key in my lock box, and a spare key that I carry in case I lose one on a trip. So, 3 keys for each bike. That way I never get below 2 keys. The never used original key is used to make a copy.

That is what I did when we had CD players in our cars. Bought a CD and made a copy to carry in the car.

I did buy a fuel tank off eBay that was locked shut. The locksmith took 5 seconds to open it.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Thanks for the corrections. Like I said, I've been wrong before. Not the first time, certainly won't be the last...

·
Registered
764 Posts
Thanks for the corrections. Like I said, I've been wrong before. Not the first time, certainly won't be the last...
I don't know about Kawasaki from experience, but the VIN got me the key for my old Honda Shadow. So you are not all wrong.

Locksmith would probably have been much cheaper.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Locksmith will have blanks for 1/4 the price of the dealers. Take a helmet lock to the locksmith and he can make the keys from that.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Exactly, i got keys at half price offered by the dealer from locksmith columbus firm. So, it's vital to get these keys from them if you don't have enough budget to get one from the dealer.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts