RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Ninja 650 that I’ve owned since 2013. It’s a great bike and I pretty much learned on this bike (after riding a 250 on/off road bike). I have not been riding that much but I am looking for something different. I’m about 6”1 so I am not interested in a small track bike.. I like to do long rides (but probably not long-distance touring). Will likely use it to commute to work on occasion. Definitely not into the cruiser riding position…I tried my brother’s Harley and it was like riding a “big wheel”. lol . I have not looked at new bikes in a long time. What should I check out ?

·
Super Moderator
2,515 Posts
Hi. Welcome onboard. Motorcycles are a very personal thing, so you might get a lot of differing replies. If you like the 650 - and you must if you've kept it for 8 years, why not just upgrade to a newer model?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Hi. Welcome onboard. Motorcycles are a very personal thing, so you might get a lot of differing replies. If you like the 650 - and you must if you've kept it for 8 years, why not just upgrade to a newer model?
I don’t mind getting different opinions. The current model 650 is actually very similar to the 2013 model I have. They have not really changed it much . it doesn’t make sense for me to get another one . The one I have is actually perfect . I’m just looking to move up .I’ve thought about the new 900 . The 650 is kind of a journeyman’s bike. It does everything well but it’s not terribly exciting. It’s kind of the Honda Accord of motorcycles .it’s the perfect commuter bike , but it’s time for a change .

·
Super Moderator
2,515 Posts
The current model 650 is actually very similar to the 2013 model I have. They have not really changed it much
I think the latest generation have a better handling frame and pretty good looks - but a pity about the pedestrian front forks and the lack of HP.

The 650 is kind of a journeyman’s bike. It does everything well but it’s not terribly exciting.
Agreed. That's why I sold my 2015 after only two years. I once posted that while I liked the bike a lot, I couldn't walk into the garage and say to myself/others; I love that bike.

Keep us posted on what bike/s you are thinking off. Do you want V Twin, vertical twin, 3, 4 cyclinders? CC size? Naked, faired? There are just so many options out there.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think the latest generation have a better handling frame and pretty good looks - but a pity about the pedestrian front forks and the lack of HP.

Agreed. That's why I sold my 2015 after only two years. I once posted that while I liked the bike a lot, I couldn't walk into the garage and say to myself/others; I love that bike.

Keep us posted on what bike/s you are thinking off. Do you want V Twin, vertical twin, 3, 4 cyclinders? CC size? Naked, faired? There are just so many options out there.
I like double head lights , but it appears I can get auxiliary lights on a single light setup ( like on an adventure bike ), but the double lights would tend to favor a faired design I guess . Ducati was making a sports touring bike for a while ( faired ) but I no longer see it on their site . I’ve considered a larger super sport ( only because the 600 super sports are too small for me ) but I don’t think I would utilize the power and I’m not really interested in the track . I ride pretty conservatively .

·
Super Moderator
2,515 Posts
Ducati was making a sports touring bike for a while ( faired ) but I no longer see it on their site.
Have a read of this. you can convert The Ducati Super Sport to a tourer - then you have the best of both worlds - sports bike - touring bike.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Have a read of this. you can convert The Ducati Super Sport to a tourer - then you have the best of both worlds - sports bike - touring bike.

I really like the super sport 950 but I thought they weren’t making it anymore (?) I’ll have to check it out . There is a Ducati dealer not too far away . I could almost replace my white ninja 650 with the white Ducati while my wife is away and she wouldn’t know the difference. ( maybe just cover the Ducati logo with a jacket .

·
Super Moderator
2,515 Posts
I really like the super sport 950 but I thought they weren’t making it anymore (?) I’ll have to check it out . There is a Ducati dealer not too far away . I could almost replace my white ninja 650 with the white Ducati while my wife is away and she wouldn’t know the difference. ( maybe just cover the Ducati logo with a jacket .
:LOL: The old jacket trick....

Honestly mate, if you buy a Ducati, you will never look at Japanese bikes again. They are a whole other world - as they say.

Reactions: 964racer

·
Registered
5,435 Posts
Hi @964racer and welcome to the forum. Are you set on something new or will something used work too?

I have a Honda ST1300 and it's a nice mix of sport and tour. It has a very decent tank, good mileage, and once in motion you'd never know it was a 730lb (wet) bike.

It'll wheelie too if you're so inclined.

It was my "upgrade" from my Kawasaki ZR7S that I had setup for touring & daily commutes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I would go for a bike with plenty suspension adjustments available (front and rear).
Triumph 765rs
Ninja zx6r
Suzuki gsx-s 750
Honda cbr 600rr

I realized a well adjusted suspension for each use is more important than power.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have a Ninja 650 that I’ve owned since 2013. It’s a great bike and I pretty much learned on this bike (after riding a 250 on/off road bike). I have not been riding that much but I am looking for something different. I’m about 6”1 so I am not interested in a small track bike.. I like to do long rides (but probably not long-distance touring). Will likely use it to commute to work on occasion. Definitely not into the cruiser riding position…I tried my brother’s Harley and it was like riding a “big wheel”. lol . I have not looked at new bikes in a long time. What should I check out ?
Ninja 1000 is a nice bike: reliable, good performance, and comfortable. Yamaha MT-10 is faster and handles better than the N1K but is not as comfortable. I am partial to Japanese bikes since they have better reliability than the European brands

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have had 2 Ninja 650's and currently have a Z650, which is alot lighter than the old Ninja's and definitely more fun! However if you want something different then you could try the Z900. Definitely some excitement to be had, or maybe an MT-07. Super light with more power than the Ninja.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts