RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2002 mean streak and it has broken turn signals. I purchased 4 bullet LED turn signals to replace them. I pulled off the rear fender and removed the bulb after market light (broken) that was in there. The bulb light has a green or grey for left or right where the positive and ground were hooked up then a black/yellow strip as a separate wire? The LED only has 2 wires a red and black. do I need to splice wires together, buy a different flash relay? I have the load warning cancellers to correct the fast flash. Just not sure what to do here. can anyone help?

Cheers,
J

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
The black/yellow wire is the ground, the others are positive. So for the rear it should be:

black/yellow -> LED black
green -> left LED red
grey -> right LED red

turn_signal_schematic.png

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
If it's just a resistor, with a wire coming from each end, it doesn't matter. You should have two of them, one for each side.

If it's the kind that has 2 wires on one end and one on the other, then the one wire goes to ground (black/yellow) and one wire from the other end goes to each positive (grey and green). There will be diodes inside to prevent you from effectively connecting the two positives; that would give you hazard flashers instead of turn signals. Here's a simple diagram of how this type goes in.

Basically you're using the load equalizer to partially short-circuit the positive and negative terminals of the LED bulb.

Obviously, if there are any instructions at all, they supercede my rambling ;)

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
OK, then it's just a resistor, they're not directional. You should have one for each side, left & right. Just connect it to the positive and ground. You can use the black/yellow wire for ground, or some other frame ground, whatever's convenient.

One thing that you should know is that these get hot, so mount them accordingly. Here's what another forum member did, which is what I'll probably do.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok I was able to install the lights and as turn signals that work fine. However, they will not stay on as running lights. Is there anyway to get them to do this?

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
That's not standard for the rear signals on the MS. As I see you found a thread about this, that's one way to do it. I have a couple of extra front turns (1157-type) that I bought from a member here, my plan is to switch the sockets & wires and do it that way, no relay needed. Or with relays I should be able to get run-turn-brake (I'll have to dust off my brain for that).

There are aftermarket alternatives as well. The Dynamic Clusters from Custom Dynamics has been intriguing me for some time. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhecG5i3Y4I

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
lee thank you so much for all your help. I did the mod I found on the other thread and it worked great. Next question though if I use different LED for the front turn signals will have to do that same mod again? or can I tap into the existing mod? or just be able to wire in the new (2 wire led) into the existing stock plug and get running/turn lights? sorry for all the questions.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
It sounds like you need to to the mod there also. The MS has 3-wire front turns (unlike the rear) which are already run/turn lights. So if you're replacing them with 2-wire lights you'll have to do what you did for the rear. The schematic from the service manual that I posted above is actually for the signal cancelling function, so it doesn't seem to show the "run" positive wire for the front turns.

The good news is that, depending on how you hooked up the rear & where everything's mounted, it may be easier to tap the front turns into the rear and not have to install more relays. According to the schematic, the flasher has only one output per side and the front & rear are connected. I haven't verified that, but you might be halfway there already.

My personal preference would be to use dual-intensity front signals and wire them the same as stock.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Any suggestion on brands? Prefer bullet lights and black. I really want to mount them under my brake and clutch reservoirs so any help with mounts or suggestions would be grateful. It not
That suggestion for other mounting positions. Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
Sorry, for brands and mounts I have no good ideas. Most of the mounts I've seen are for the forks, not sure if you could get some kind of "L" bracket to mount under the reservoirs.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts