RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got the FSD Undertail from France, I started working on it and decided to pre fit it before painting. Doesnt want to fit in. Can anyone tell me how to fit it in. I hope I dont have to force it in as I think the fiberglass would crack.

Any Help would be great

Thanks
Mark:mad:

·
The Deer Slayer
7,382 Posts
That does not sound good. What did you have to disassemble to fit it ? I was thinking of the same part too. Hey, if you have a problem fitting now, it can only get worse when painted. Doesn't it just take the place of the whole underseat rear tray ? Where is the problem ?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Undertail

Hey Medzr7treker

The undertail that I got is unfinished and it takes place of the rear fender and the back storage area under the seat. I'm changing the color of the bike and dint want the blue paint. It just came primed and needed a lot of work. The cutouts for the tying hooks and grab rails were not in it. I dont know if they are done on the painted one. I tried to angle it in place but the sides were hitting the tying hooks. I think It will look good if I can ever get it in.

Med7ZRTreker do you go to the big show at Marcus Dairy in Conn. And if you do how is it?

Thanks
Mark

·
Registered
74 Posts
The undertail kit that I bought from FSD I had installed professionally. First you have to remove the entire stock fender, everything!! The entire plastic piece that follows the underside of the rear body must go for it to fit correctly. Then you have to cut small ovals in the new piece so that it tucks in smoothly with the steel hand grips that stick out the bottom and use the stock bolts to secure it in place. I am not the most mechanically inclined person, so I wasn't even going to try and do it myself. Luckily the dealer that I go to has a guy there who specializes in aftermarket body work and he did a fantastic job. I think you can get a pretty good idea of how it's supposed to look with the photos of my bike on ZR-7.com. Good luck, it's a great addition!

Matt Ream

·
Registered
74 Posts
Also,

I had my undertail painted Candy Lightning Blue to match the bike and I have to say that I would suggest a dark color instead. All the road grime that spits up there has to be cleaned all the time to keep it looking good. If I had to do it all over again I would have painted it black so that all the dirt could be hidden easier.

Matt Ream

·
The Deer Slayer
7,382 Posts
Hey Mark, sounds like you just have to make the right cuts. How easy did the old part come off once it was un-bolted ? I've yet to make the ride over to CT. Most go by ferry over the Sound. Where is it exactly from Bridgeport ? And when ? Now I'm in the reply board, I didn't note, are you near there ?

Hey Matt, how much did that job cost ? And I hear you on the paint thing, but doesn't black kind of negate the point of the kit ? Or would it still look great in black ? Flat or gloss? What do think about painting a hugger ? I thought, a custom job...Black on chaingaurd part, with the bike's color on the hugger part. Now that would cool ! What do you think ?

Tony.

·
The Deer Slayer
7,382 Posts
Oh Kay. I see you're both from Rhode Island. You must tell me about the Marcus Dairy event. No, my bad, you're from NJ, he's from RI. OK , I'm a little confused, normal for me

Tony:eek:

·
The Deer Slayer
7,382 Posts
What Am I...

Talkin' to myself here ? :laugh:

Looked it up myself anyway. I'm just so busy today ! Looks like a cruiser/Harley event. Is this the reason to buy a Harley, so you can go to these events and fit in ? I think so.

Tony again.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hey Tony,

It cost me around $100-150 for the fender eliminator installation. I'm not exactly sure because they installed the hugger too and it was all included in the labor cost. And speaking of the hugger, I had a slight problem with the hugger/fender elimator combination. Make sure you check the clearance between the two, I bottomed out while my fat *** brother (I just say that becaue he's younger, but bigger than me) was on the back and we hit a nice New England pothole. The two pieces made contact and I have since gotten ridden of the hugger. I didnt' like the look of the hugger anymore anyway, so it worked out, but beware.

Matt Ream

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got it

I'm From Toms River NJ

Well I finally put it in. In my haste to get it ready for paint, I removed the cutaway marks they had put in it. So I slowly ground out the spots until it fit in. You lose a bit of space in the trunk. oh well. Now I'm getting it ready for paint again. It comes kind of rough. The key to any work is preperation, so if it dont fit just keep on working on it. I'm thinking about painting it black also and am going to put some black laquor over the primer on it now to see what it would look like. I just finished painting my gass tank, and front fender came out great, and not very hard to take off. If anyone wants I will try to post a pic of what it will look like in black. My bikes almost done. and I hope to do the wheels next.

I thought Marcus dairy was all sportbike event?

Thanks
Mark

·
The Deer Slayer
7,382 Posts
Hey Mark, you say you've painted the tank ? What's that all about? Love to see the bike pics . The wheel painting sounds very cool. So, what is the Marcus Dairy event anyhow ?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
bike painting

Hey Med

Well, I wasnt a great fan of the color of the bike, so I decided to paint it. Having been in the auto business for to many years I decided to customize it a bit. I took the front fender and reshaped it to a more standard look. I had Devil shotgun pipes put on, jet kit, KN and the underseat, which Im in the process of doing. I will be painting the wheels in about a week it the weather stays cold, if not who knows when. The plastic panels I will either paint flat or semis gloss black, dont know yet. Ive decided the underseat will be red also. I took me a while to find a red I like. Marcus Dairy I hear is a great sportbike event. Im not sure of the date, A friend went every year, I know they meet there all the time but they have a big show every year.

Med, by the way are you going to Americade in Lake George. Hope we can hook up some time, I will be on a few cruises to North Jersey and NY this season. Hope some of the NY members can make it to south Jersey.

Cya
Mark

1 - 12 of 12 Posts