RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently looking at replacing my HJC CS-R2 due to incorrect fitment. When purchasing this helmet initially, I knew HJC was a brand I liked because its the only brand helmet I've used on my four wheeler. However after riding for a couple of months and reading/researching a TON, I realize that this helmet does not fit me what-so-ever. At highway speeds, when checking my blind spot before changing lanes the helmet twists on my head, and I have to adjust it as I ride due to the movement. I fell in love with the design as it matches perfectly with my bike:

It matches even more so now that the wheels are white too:

But at the end of the day I'm getting annoyed with adjusting it while riding all the time, and I hate even thinking about what will happen if I ever spill on the bike. After watching a lot of videos on revzilla.com and learning that helmets don't only come in sizes, but different models are made for different head shapes. The HJC I have is for a Round Oval head shape, and I know that I am definitely an Intermediate Oval to potentially even a Long Oval head shape.

I've narrowed it down to two helmets that I really like. I have tried both on quickly and they both fit much better than my HJC. I plan to go and try them on again this weekend on see which one fits better and double check that they truly fit the way they are supposed to rather than just buying the one that I like and looks cool.

So now on to my questions for everyone here. I've narrowed it down to the Shark S700 and the Scorpion EXO-1100. My stipulations for a new helmet were that it was below $350 and had build in sun glasses. Other than that I just wanted the dang thing to fit right. I would like to keep the styling to match my bike (the rest of my gear is black and white so everything matches so far), but it is not a necessity.

I need help deciding between these two models assuming that they both fit just as well. On top of that, I don't know what style I like the best in the Scorpion.

So lets break it down to pro's and con's. If you own either of these models please let me know what you think of them!

Shark S700

Pro's:
  • Super Great Look With The Legion Graphic
  • Easy Access Sun Visor Switch
  • Nice Looking Aerodynamics
  • Hidden Switches For Vents
Con's:
  • Lacks Some Of the Neat Features Of The Scorpion
  • Lack Of A Chin Screen To Help Cut Down On Wind Noise

Scorpion EXO-1100

Pro's:
  • Cheek Pad Pump Feature
  • Chin Skirt
  • More Hidden Sun Visor Switch
  • Visor Crack Switch
Con's:
  • None Of The Designs/Colors Really Scream At Me
  • Logo And Visor Removal Spinners Are Too Noticeable/Ugly
  • Reviews Claim Noisy
  • Not Sure If Bluetooth Will Fit With Air Pump System

·
Registered
29 Posts
I've been looking at those same helmets as a replacement for my scorpion exo 700 and i have found another you may like as well. The AGV horizon helmet cost a little bit more has some nice features and gets good reviews on web bike world and sportbike track gear. Just food for thought.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've been looking at those same helmets as a replacement for my scorpion exo 700 and i have found another you may like as well. The AGV horizon helmet cost a little bit more has some nice features and gets good reviews on web bike world and sportbike track gear. Just food for thought.
Hmm, in the video review of that AGV helmet on revzilla he states it is more of a round oval than an intermediate oval, which is what my HJC is. Neat looking helmet though, I like the more pointed chin protection on it.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Those are 2 good choices. Shark and Scorpion have become my favorite helmets. I don't have the S700, but I have 2 other Sharks and I think they're excellent values; quality helmets for the price. I would imagine the S700 would be a good choice and have thought about getting one myself.

I do have a EXO-1000, and the 1100 is an upgraded 1000. A couple of things, I read the 1000 was loud too, but it's the quitest helmet I have out of it the Sharks and Bell's I own, but noise also depends on fit. I'm sorta a short oval and Sharks and Scorpion both fit me well. Also, the Scorpion won't fog, only helmet I've owned that won't fog. Now it is a bit heavy, but it's still my favorite helmet.

You might also check the new Nolan and AGV with a drop down visor, but you won't get much of a deal because they're new and not going to be on closeout. I tried the Shoei GT Air at a dealer and not only did it not fit me well, but it seemed like the padding was very thin. It didn't feel like it was the quality of the others at nearly double the cost. Doubt I'll ever buy a Shoei.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info! I went and tried then both on again this past weekend and the scorpion fits barely slightly better than my HJC does right now. Even using the air pump system, its better, but not quite right.

The shark on the other hand fit like a glove. I even wore it around the store for about 10 minutes and it was very comfortable. So I've decided on the shark this time.

The most interesting part is just how poorly the HJC fits me. The Shark doesn't move in me in almost any direction. The HJC rotates all the time on me. But, the biggest surprise is the HJC only a large fit me (medium the protective foam dug hard into my forehead), whereas with a properly fitting helmet such as the shark, I'm actually a Small.

Still amazes me how much the shape matters as well as the size, and just HOW different each helmet is.

·
Registered
10,327 Posts
webBikeWorld has listings of helmets shapes, weights, features, reviews etc. A good source when comparing helmets.

·
Registered
5,954 Posts
I chose Nolan N104 because it offered the most for peripheral vision. Makes a head check when changing lanes WAY easier..

Dont chince on quality to save a few bucks. Spend the extra it takes to get a good quality helmet that fits properly.

Online stores like Revzilla has a good assortment and offers no haggle exchanges for helmets.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I chose Nolan N104 because it offered the most for peripheral vision. Makes a head check when changing lanes WAY easier..

Dont chince on quality to save a few bucks. Spend the extra it takes to get a good quality helmet that fits properly.

Online stores like Revzilla has a good assortment and offers no haggle exchanges for helmets.
I'm quickly learning to adopt the buy nice not twice mentality.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Con's:
  • Not Sure If Bluetooth Will Fit With Air Pump System

I have a scorpion EXO900 modular and I use a chatterbox duo communicator on it for Wireless blutooth connectivity to the passenger as well as my cellphone for calls and music. As for noise, it is way better than my HJC snowmobile helmets, the GMAX modulars. I needed modular to get the helmet off due to hearing aids. I looked at ICON but the fit wasn't comfortable although I liked the graphics.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Check out Arai. I have a Vector 2 very comfy, good airflow and glasses will work with them. The chin vent is small enough to keep out bees. It is fairly quiet, I rode for two hundred miles on Friday and I wasn't deaf when I got where I was going. I use a fog city transitional insert and have no problems with fogging except on very cool damp nights and even then it is minor.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Micro,

Find the largest Helmet Dealer you can! Try on everything you think looks cool and has all the do-dads you want it to have. Grab a cell phone, snap the picture(s) of it and scan the barcode on your smart phone and find the best price within a 50 mile radius.

If you can hold out, do this over the course of a couple of weeks. Usually, last years models are almost half off! Unless it's the really big ones, like Shoei, Aria, Nolan, Shuberth, etc.etc. I like the mid ranges for most street like R1's, ICON's, and AGV's, and grab last years models on close outs!

Cheers

1 - 12 of 12 Posts