RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I've been looking at ZR-7S's for about 8 months now and finally bought a used 2001. This board was a great resource when I was researching bikes. The bike is still sitting in the gentleman's garage waiting for my check to clear (long story on why I wrote a check). It's not such a big deal because in the mean time, I need to find a helmet and jacket. I don't know what to look for or how to fit these two items and was hoping people might give some pointers. I will probably spend the next few days trying things on at the local shops and was hoping for some info beyond what the dealer will be throwing at me. If anyone has some tips or can point me to website with good info, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

Justin

·
Registered
373 Posts
Welcome Justin,

Right now is a great time for deals on jackets. Check out the link below there is another thread open about the sale.

http://www.buyakawasaki.com

Ride easy,
Dj

·
West Coast Moderator
12,996 Posts
Take the time (since you have some before the check clears) and go to a few of the local motorcycle shops. Look at the helmets, ask questions and try on the ones you like the looks of. You want a snug fitting helmet that's comfy for you, but not so snug that it hurts your noggin. There are many name brands and price ranges to choose from. The main things are comfort (if it ain't comfy, you won't wanna wear it) and protection (if you ain't wearing it, it won't protect ya).

I say go to different shops because it will give you a chance to meet the folks at the shops and see which one's are the most helpful and friendly, and it gives you a chance to go see the different prices and the products being offered. You can also go to the many different accessory dealers on the web and check out their selections and prices.......Welcome..:cool:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the information. I spent the day in four of the local shops. It was really convenient for me to shop as they are all within a half mile of each other.

So here's what I ended up with:

Shoei Candy Red TZ-1 Helmet-$259
Joe Rocket Black Ballistic Series Jacket-$239
Joe Rocket Black Meteor Gloves-$36

I bought the TZ-1 because nobody said anything bad about it and my glasses fit really well with it. I figured red would improve my visibility, too.

I ended up with the Ballistic Series jacket because that was the only thing that fit reasonably well. I'm 6'5" at about 200 lbs, which meant everything that had good arm length and shoulder space was to floppy in the arms and chest. It's a pretty hard to find any clothes that fit.

The Meteor gloves were kinda last minute. I haven't seen much about them. Does anyone have any experience with them? They seem fine, maybe light on the padding, but certainly look like they will keep the hands cool for the summer.

·
West Coast Moderator
12,996 Posts
That's good. I'd say you paid about average price for your gear. As long as it all fits good and you feel good about it. I know I hate to spend money, but when ya gotta...ya gotta.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I finally picked up the bike last night and got to test the gear out. The jacket and gloves were fine, but the helmet was killing me. I have a square jaw and it was getting into a pushing match with the helmet. I gotta say, the helmet won. I went back to the shop and the guy said I could try more helmets on and see if any fit better. Turns out they all did about the same, but then I discovered that sliding the strap forward relieved all the pressure on my jaw. I ended up keeping my helmet, which is great because it matches my bike. The shop owner was happier, too, I'm sure.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts