RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like the topic says. This is my first helmet. I ordered the Scorpion and received it today. The helmet looks pretty cool and it's light. I ordered the small based on the sizing chart @ Revzilla. The crown of the helmet fits really nice and snug. No pain, and I think it's the proper size. However the cheek area is pretty darn tight. I can close my teeth together but I have to make sure I move my cheeks out of the way to not bite them. Since there is a big sticker over the face shield, I took the shield off and went for about a 30 minute ride in my neighborhood. The helmet felt good for the most part, but I had a small bit of pain in my jaw when I returned. I'm afraid if I go to a larger size the crown portion of the helmet will be to big.

So here's the questions. Should I send this helmet back? Will it break in to fit well in the cheek area?

As I was thinking about sending the helmet back, the thought occurs to get the Bell Revolver EVO in Hi Vis. I don't specifically have to have modular but it seems like it could be useful. How do these two helmets compare in terms of fit and comfort? What about quality? Customer service?

The Bell also is a solid Hi Vis helmet and may be more visible.

I'm also open to other helmets in the $200 ish range. Let's here your thoughts.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I don't know about that particular helmet/brand, but many helmets have removable crowns and cheek pads. I have an Icon Alliance and got lucky that my tiny head is consistently small, but the guy at the store said he uses a small helmet and bought medium cheek pads for exactly what you're talking about. If you really like your helmet, see if the cheek pads pop out and if so I bet you can buy larger ones for about $20.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's a great idea. However I just checked and the size small helmet comes with the smallest cheekpads for this particular shell size. So that's a no go. :/

I don't know about that particular helmet/brand, but many helmets have removable crowns and cheek pads. I have an Icon Alliance and got lucky that my tiny head is consistently small, but the guy at the store said he uses a small helmet and bought medium cheek pads for exactly what you're talking about. If you really like your helmet, see if the cheek pads pop out and if so I bet you can buy larger ones for about $20.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
After researching a bit more it looks like the scorpion brand has a more narrow fit. I'm going to return the helmet. Just ordered the HJC syMax 3 in Hi Viz.

·
Registered
10,328 Posts
That is why it is better to try on helmets locally and get the dealer to match internet pricing. He still makes a little money, the local economy benefits, and you know you got a helmet that fits.

I really like my bell helmets. I had a bell revolver but the mechanism for the flip down sun shield was located where I wanted to put my SENA bluetooth headset, so I sold it to a friend.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There are no dealers in town that carry any real inventory. In fact all of the cycle shops in Mobile are owned by Halls. They are nice folks and can order anything I want, but hell so can I. They do carry the HJC brand, just not the SyMax 3 or any other helmet in Hi Vis. I called or visited every location in town. I did try on other HJC helmets when I visited a few weeks ago before getting a bike. I'm not ragging them, they seem like great folks, and have a wonderful selection of new bikes. I will probably buy gloves from them. They just don't have a large selection of helmets or jackets. No pants at all, and only 1 model of non-racing boots. Around here I rarely see anyone wearing gear at all. It's generally t-shirts and flip flops. I wonder if the low amount of inventory is a reaction to customers or the other way around.

That is why it is better to try on helmets locally and get the dealer to match internet pricing. He still makes a little money, the local economy benefits, and you know you got a helmet that fits.

I really like my bell helmets. I had a bell revolver but the mechanism for the flip down sun shield was located where I wanted to put my SENA bluetooth headset, so I sold it to a friend.

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
That's surprising considering the size of Mobile, but then again if gear isn't popular there or if people only buy their gear online, it would make sense. We have a couple "gear only" stores here, to include Cyclegear, which is nice. Also all the motorcycle dealers around here can outfit you with pretty much every piece of gear you might need, or at least have the brand you are looking for to try on. I won't buy a helmet without trying it on, too many different shapes and sizes.

·
Registered
10,328 Posts
go to webbikeworld.com They have reviews and sizing for all kind of helmets. Now that you have tried on one helmet you can see where they rank the helmet as far as fit and decide what shape helmet you need.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks. I'm gonna wait till the Symax 3 arrives and try it out as well before I make a final decision. I'm wearing the Scorpion as I type this. Trying to see if it will break in with some wear. I did go to the local dealer today and buy some gloves. They didn't have a lot of options. About 5 different Icon models and a couple Joe Rockets. I ended up with the Joe Rocket Phoenix 4.0. They fit pretty well and seemed to have good palm protection. I'll probably have to get a warmer glove when winter arrives though. I also tried on the HJC IS Max(they don't have the symax 3 there) and noticed it was felt cheaper and not as strong of a helmet as the scorpion EXO 500. But it's modular and that could be the difference. We'll see how the two compare when the Symax arrives. On a side note the dealer finally had a hi vis product in stock, a joe rocket textile jacket. Didn't have my size though.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
I have the same helmet, make sure the cheek pads are deflated if you have the ones that pump up to fit. Mine was a bit tight as well at first but got much better. I do still have some discomfort in my jaw though after long rides. But I'd rather have a little more discomfort and a little more safety than more comfort and less safety.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just an update. The Scorpion EXO 500 is breaking in nicely so far. Didn't even notice any cheek/jaw pain after wearing it today for over an hour. I receive the SyMax 3 tomorrow so I'll make a decision after trying it on. On another note, I don't care for the mesh jacket I ordered. And perhaps not the boots either. I'm certainly going to rack up some shipping charges exchanging all of this stuff. I REALLY wish my local dealership would carry some stuff.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok, I'm keeping the Scorpion. I went for a ride for a little over an hour yesterday. I did have a small amount of jaw pain when I returned, however I still like this helmet. The HJC SyMax 3 just feels huge and cheap in comparison. I'm not sure if it's like this with all modular helmets, but I wasn't convinced that it would take a very hard face first hit. Felt like it would break over time as well. And the sunshade deployment is very unnatural.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Modular helmets always feel cheap to me. I don't think I'll ever buy another one.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Modular helmets always feel cheap to me. I don't think I'll ever buy another one.
Agreed. I tried out HJCs new flagship RHPA Max helmet and even that still felt cheap - even though it is in the Arai price range. No thank you.

Helmet fit and shape descriptions (narrow round, etc) pertain to the crown of the helmet, not the lower padding. Padding breaks in, the shape of the shell doesn't. Stick with that Scorpion.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a scorpion exo-500, cheek pads were a bit tight but they broke in after a while. Maybe don't worry about it if it's not too tight. You should be able to tell if it's snug vs. too tight.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Something to keep in mind about hi viz paint - it fades much more quickly than other colors in sunlight. I thought about hi viz until I started reading up on it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
You should not return the helmet as there are certain helmet parts available that depend on the reputable store. You should wear the helmet on for about half an hour. If you still feel pain, it is best to opt for a slightly bigger size.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts