RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I'm looking to buy a Ninja 1000, but because I commute in temps down to -5C/23F, I need to be able to run my heated gear, which all works fine on my FJR1300.
Does anyone have experience running heated grips/vest/gloves with the stock Ninja 1000 battery without any issues? Thanks!

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
Hi Banest and welcome to the forum.

What you need to do is check the alternator output on whatever bike you are looking at and see if that has the excess will handle the load depending on what extra gear you add. It should handle at least 2 of the 3 depending on how much the apparel draws. It also matters what else may be on the bike... aux lighting adds more load, LED/HID replacement bulbs may lessen the load (if there are not load balancing resistors installed.)

The Powelet website should be able to calculate what you can draw on a bike... Kawasaki Ninja ZX-10R (ZX1000) 2008 - Present - Powerlet Products The zx10r should be comparable to the 1000.

There's also a post here Available power for heated gear? - Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum of someone running multiple gear along with their notes / caveats. (such as running a voltage meter...)

Sorry that's not a straight yes / no answer.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hi,
I'm looking to buy a Ninja 1000, but because I commute in temps down to -5C/23F, I need to be able to run my heated gear, which all works fine on my FJR1300.
Does anyone have experience running heated grips/vest/gloves with the stock Ninja 1000 battery without any issues? Thanks!
I have no problem running heated grips/vest/gloves on my Ninja 1000, but the heated seat was too much. A good investment for $59 is the CLEARWATER VOLTAGE SENTRY: Clearwater Voltage Sentry
It will tell you if your gear is drawing more power than your bike can supply

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi,
Heated grips alone shouldn't have any issues if you buy Kawasakit OEM heated grips. Also, you can get Seargent heated seat now (Sargent Seats - Heat Options), they have that option, as far as I know, that shouldn't have any issues either if you only running Heated grips and seat and nothing else. Also depends what level you have it turned up, I would definitely run fuse thru both of them.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I hope Kawasaki heated grips have improved. I bought a pair in 2013 and they were only lukewarm at the highest setting

1 - 5 of 5 Posts