RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
That just looks like a halo kit. You won't be upgrading the headlight performance with this kit.

·
Registered
285 Posts
The Ninja 650 isn't a particularly great candidate for headlight upgrades, regrettably. The only correct upgrade is a projector retrofit, and it's both complicated and expensive. Personally, I'd stick to upgraded halogen bulbs. It's far from ideal, but the grief it'll save you or others is well worth it.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Sylvania and PIAA both make excellent H4 replacement bulbs I use the brightest of both and buy them when they are on sale. Because of the design of your headlight the only thing the bright bulb will give you is a "whiter" light but no increase of range. That is controlled by the lamps reflector but I have found that my eyes work well with this "Color" of light. I personally use the Sylvania Silverstar ZXE and the PIAA Extreme White anti vibration H4 bulbs. Either one of these will give you good service. Always be careful to only handle the bulb without touching the glass because the oils from your skin will cause a "hot spot" reducing your bulbs life drastically.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Sylvania and PIAA both make excellent H4 replacement bulbs I use the brightest of both and buy them when they are on sale. Because of the design of your headlight the only thing the bright bulb will give you is a "whiter" light but no increase of range. That is controlled by the lamps reflector but I have found that my eyes work well with this "Color" of light. I personally use the Sylvania Silverstar ZXE and the PIAA Extreme White anti vibration H4 bulbs. Either one of these will give you good service. Always be careful to only handle the bulb without touching the glass because the oils from your skin will cause a "hot spot" reducing your bulbs life drastically.
Ninja 650 uses H7 bulbs.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Want to upgrade my headlights. Saw these on Ebay. Is this a good deal? Any suggestions on upgrading headlights?
As others have said - this isn't an upgrade, it's a styling mod. A mate who bought my Ninja 300 installed these on his bike - now he's looking for somewhere to fit an LED light because the angel eyes/halos are useless for night riding. Bear in mind that to fit these lights you have to split the headlight assembly and modify the housing - so, if you decide one day that you want to revert to the original lights - you will have to buy the complete headlight assembly. Fitting these requires permanent alteration to the rear housing of the assembly.

There is a company in the US that will install their kits into your headlights. A couple of years ago it was around $300US (when I was interested in doing this). I believe that they claim that they are bright enough for night riding.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
I personally prefer the Osram Night Breaker bulbs. Significantly brighter and whiter than stock bulbs without the PIAA price.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Regardless of the "size" bulb the brands I said are good "upgrades.
Yeah and I pointed out that the Ninja 650 takes H7s because some newbie might have gone out and bought H4s based on your post. This IS the Ninja 650 forum - thus my comment.

·
Registered
853 Posts
No problem Oz, I was just commenting what I do personally. I just hope I don't come across as bossy I'm just trying to help. My cage uses H7 and H1 bulbs and I use the Sylvania ZXE bulbs in it because I was able to score on really good deal so I bought a huge amount of H4, H7 and H1 bulbs for my car. I always get the twin packs when I buy. Did you and yours make it through the recent beg storm OK ?

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
It's all good. I know that cruisers and lurkers here don't know a lot but hope to learn - so I like having the right info available. Your recommendation is solid. Re: the storm - I live a fair way away from where that bagio (typhoon/storm) hit - but we do get our fair share here. Just google 'sendong' - 2011, 3000+ people washed out to sea. Fortunately - this time we just got a lot of heavy rain. Have a great week.

·
Registered
285 Posts
If you want an upgrade kit, take a look at KT Moto.

Personally, I would love to try this kit.
I absolutely hate it when people yell "hey!! one of your headlight bulb is out!"

This is an upgrade since it will turn single reflector headlight into dual projector headlight.
I'm waiting for an aftermarket headlight housing before taking on that project. Kawasaki's OEM glue is notorious for being a PITA, and the headlight assembly is valuable enough to be worth not screwing up.

I did that projector retrofit install on a Ninja 300. There isn't really a need to buy that overpriced kit. It's just a generic parts kit you can source on your own for less than 50% of what that site is asking. I'd much rather choose the components myself, such as making sure the angel/devil eye ballasts are waterproof and going with some quality OPT7 HID ballasts. Also, keep in mind that with so many components there's a lot that can go wrong, and anything that does virtually requires taking off the front fairings or disassembling the headlight.

All in all, it's a great upgrade. Just don't underestimate how involved of a project it is.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I'm waiting for an aftermarket headlight housing before taking on that project. Kawasaki's OEM glue is notorious for being a PITA, and the headlight assembly is valuable enough to be worth not screwing up.

I did that projector retrofit install on a Ninja 300. There isn't really a need to buy that overpriced kit. It's just a generic parts kit you can source on your own for less than 50% of what that site is asking. I'd much rather choose the components myself, such as making sure the angel/devil eye ballasts are waterproof and going with some quality OPT7 HID ballasts. Also, keep in mind that with so many components there's a lot that can go wrong, and anything that does virtually requires taking off the front fairings or disassembling the headlight.

All in all, it's a great upgrade. Just don't underestimate how involved of a project it is.
I did not realize that this was not a complete kit til you told me.

Here's the kit with housing.. way too expensive, kind of a deal breaker in my opinion.

https://www.ktmoto.com/fit-for-kawasaki-ninja-650-2017-kt-led-angel-eye-headlight-assembly/

·
Registered
71 Posts

oh, and you're saying that the KT kit wasn't really meant for the Ninja 650, but it's more like a universal kit you can buy off eBay?

If that's the case, it does make sense they do not have real photo of product..because they look like photoshopped Ninja 650.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Actually, the Ninja 400 has dual LED headlights.

The ZX-6R just got updated to dual LED headlights...

I have a feeling the Ninja 650 might get updated to dual LED headlights too.. and if they do upgrade it, I think it will be swappable considering the 2019 ZX-6R is pretty much the same thing as 2018 ZX-6R with upgraded headlights & fairings.

·
Registered
285 Posts
@Timpo The actual projector part - the HID projector assembly including bulb, angel/devil eyes and everything else - is generic. You buy them by size and they are universal for cars and motorcycles alike. They get screwed into the reflector housing instead of the bulb. It's just another universal generic overseas part. You could buy the HID kit piece by piece just like you can buy a desktop computer. Doing it that way it's cheaper and you can get better components. But since no one tells you this upfront, you won't realize it until you buy a complete kit yourself and some part goes bad...so yeah, guess how I know.

What makes the kit you linked Ninja 650 specific is simply the black sheet metal plate the projector housing is screwed on to. Normally you would have had to just trim the reflector slightly and mounted it directly to that. You don't really need the reflector plate. If it wasn't so overpriced it wouldn't be a terrible idea, but I'm not going to pay 4 times the price just for a stamped metal plate

Yeah, the Ninja 400 has dual LED headlights. I sooo wish it were compatible with the 650. If the 650 would have came out one year later, it probably would have used it, too. Making it the perfect little street bike. You can be sure that the 2023 Ninja 650 will have LED headlights, but that does little good for us now. I'm counting on the aftermarket to bring out an aftermarket housing to make the projector retrofit less of a hassle, though I don't know if I'm too optimistic about it anymore.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I absolutely hate it when people yell "hey!! one of your headlight bulb is out!"
I solved this problem with a DoubleTronics unit--it allows both lights to be on full time, with the high beam at partial power when the switch is on low so that you don't blind oncoming traffic.

https://www.doubletronics.com/english.html

Here's some comments about installing it: https://www.riderforums.com/general-ninja-650r/85091-what-did-you-do-buy-you-your-bike-today-59.html#post1105818

I had looked at some of these full replacement products like the units being discussed before buying the DoubleTronics just to solve the Popeye appearance issue.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I solved this problem with a DoubleTronics unit
Interesting solution, though it is definitely a sub-optimal solution compared to HIDs. Mainly because it's a pity that it doesn't really work as far as providing the true benefit of dual headlight output, but I can see why one would do it. And the cyclop look definitely annoys me.

Thinking about it...instead of paying full price, one easy way to do that would simply be using a tiny PWM Controller and a 99 cent 5-pin relay. Plus it would be adjustable. The PWM controller simply turns the bulb on and off a few hundred times a second, so it would work perfectly with halogen bulbs. And it works at up to 10amps (a 55w bulb is about 5 amps). I almost feel like doing it as an interesting project. Plus, it's pretty trivial to wire up - it's probably easier to wire than it is to remove the fairings. I don't really think it's the ideal solution at all, but hey, at least it makes for a cool mod.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts