RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there anyone with a manual willing to look up something for me? I've never had a reason to get one, but after this little adventure I'm going to think real hard about it.

I was trying to figure out why my headlamp wasn't on (its not the bulb or the fuse) and got down to the point of tracing wires. There are three wires in the socket plug - red/black (from high beam switch), red/yellow (from low beam switch), and black/yellow (ground). From the switch there is a blue/yellow wire that runs back to the fuse block.

What I found was odd, with no lamp and the quick disconnect to the fuse block unplugged, there is a short between red/yellow and black/yellow.

So can anyone tell me if there is something else on this circuit that I am missing? please? It's the first nice weekend here in a long time and I can't go riding until the headlight is working.

Thanks for any help
-=kent

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I should add that I've also unplugged the quick-disconnect between the lamp and the hi-lo switch. The short is still there, so its not the switch.

-=kent

·
Silver Member
479 Posts
I don't have much to say. As you already figured out there are three wires, black/yellow - ground, red/black - high beam, red/yellow - low beam. There are three connectors on the way from headlamp to lo/hi switch - three-wire connector on the headlamp, six-wire connector under the windshield and eight-wire connector of the left handlebar switches, I don't know where it's located. Try to disconnect all of them and test each part separately.
Keep posting, I have wiring diagram handy.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Someone (really sorry, can't remember who just at the moment) emailed me a copy of the wiring diagram when I was having trouble installing my hooters.

Suggest you do a search on 'hooters' to bring up the topic.

·
Registered
990 Posts

·
Wheelie for Safety
1,550 Posts
klmason99 said:

What I found was odd, with no lamp and the quick disconnect to the fuse block unplugged, there is a short between red/yellow and black/yellow.

Hi Kent,

I tried the same test regarding continuity between BK/Y & R/Y and its the same on my bike.

You said that the fuse and bulb are OK. Did you look at the fuse very carefully?

Does your High Beam indicator work?

Andy

·
West Coast Moderator
12,994 Posts
Hey Kent, send me your e-mail address and I'll send you the
page(s) that cover the headlight, wires and switches.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks to Martin's help, I've found the problem. Turns out the lead into the hi-lo beam switch had broken, thus no power to the headlamp.

And as for the short (this is embarrassing), the hi-beam indicator light is connected in parallel with the headlamp so that they both get power when the switch is on hi-beam lamp - duh. I was simply measuring the resistance through the indicator light to ground. No mystery there, except why my brain didn't think of it.

My next bike purchase is gonna be a repair manual.

Again, thank you, Martin, Sott, Andy, and Alex. I'll be riding this weekend. Wahoo!

-=kent

1 - 9 of 9 Posts