RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Fellas,
I know there are a lot of posts in regards to the header subject...so much that it's probably gaining notoriety as an oil thread. Well, maybe not *that* bad. But anyway, from the research that i've been doing, it appears that some 2012 ninja 650 owners have stated the headers are a direct swap with only the 08-11 models (2nd gen) only. I've also read that it's a direct swap regardless of what year the 650 is. So... what's the verdict?

-kg

Pardon my typing, I'm super sick with bronchitis, and am at work high as a kite on cough medicine with codeine. Sh*t is awesome.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
bueller... bueller... bueller...

anyone? I know someone here knows this. Beers on me to the people that answer.

-kg

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have an 06 motor and dying to know the answer too. If nothing turns up in the next few days I think I may just ebay a set of 2012 headers to try it out first hand.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
To keep the reply to this short and sweet if you want 1st or 2nd gen headers then you need to have the matching gen oil pan. If you want 3rd gen full exhaust system then you need to use a 3rd gen oil pan.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
To keep the reply to this short and sweet if you want 1st or 2nd gen headers then you need to have the matching gen oil pan. If you want 3rd gen full exhaust system then you need to use a 3rd gen oil pan.

Crap... I just pulled the trigger on oem headers. Why would we need the matching oil pan? Is it because the headers will block the drain plug?

-kg

Thanks for the reply man. Much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
If your engine is 12-current and you try to use 07-11 headers, they will fit but the headers block the drain plug so you won't be able to change the oil.

If your engine is 07-11 and you try to use 12- current exhaust, your oil pan will be to low and the exhaust and oil pan will be trying to occupy the same space.

The 12-current oil pan is a lower profile and has a different drain plug location than the 07-11 oil pans.

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
I was going to include this yesterday but figured it was clear. Since you described it more though, I figured I would add a picture. Left is 2012+, right is prior years.

oil_pan.jpg

·
Registered
13 Posts
2009 manifold on a 2013 bike is a perfect swap. No oil pan needed or anything. If you look at the above picture of the 2012+ pan, it drains to the side so is not in the way of the exhaust at all.

Just did this swap on my bike.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Does anyone know if 06-08 headers will fit or if anything changed regarding the exhaust side of the motor from 1st gen to 2nd? I'm not having much luck finding 09-11 headers for a decent price.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Should be. Parts lookup referencing the first two generation bikes call up the same part number on partzilla.com.

-kg

1 - 13 of 13 Posts