1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
Whats funny? They're building a plant in an emerging market to avoid tariffs. Makes perfect sense from a business standpoint.

Whether or not they have the roads to support 800-1000lb cruisers is another story.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Whats funny? They're building a plant in an emerging market to avoid tariffs. Makes perfect sense from a business standpoint.

Whether or not they have the roads to support 800-1000lb cruisers is another story.
The American motorcycle...made in India. I'm sure there won't be any India-made parts coming over this side of the sea. Nah... Not for a Harley! Impossible!

I'm all for global marketing and economy, but those die-hard Harley folks (NOT all of them, mind you) may be disappointed to someday realize that their ride isn't completely domestic like they may believe.

·
Registered
717 Posts
umm... assembled. not made. they're just boltin them together for the nice folks of india. some of them want a stronger moped. all of the parts are shipped over, from what the artical says anyway

·
Banned
330 Posts
I'm posting this bad boy up everywhere I can today, laughing all the way... HA!!

http://articles.cnn.com/2010-11-04/...a-market-harley-davidsons-haryana?_s=PM:WORLD
:killingme:spit::silly::agree:
Did you not read the article or not understand it?

"Parts made in America will be put together for the Indian market in Haryana.
What we are doing is made in USA, assembled in India, which will have a positive job effect back home..India is the second fastest growing two-wheeler market in the world behind China. More than 10 million two-wheelers were sold in India in the 2009-2010 fiscal year. Beyond the obvious market potential there is another major reason Harley-Davidson is building an assembly plant in India -- to bring down India's import duties which right now are so high Indian consumers pay double for fully assembled imported vehicles. Exporting just the parts to India could lower the import duty tariffs by around 80 percent according to Prakash."

No idea how this is funny. Sounds like good business practices and a way to keep Harley's American workers working.

·
Registered
472 Posts
That's so funny. Many of the parts that are on Harley's are manufactured in Asia right now. Shipped here for assembly.

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
Yeah the buy american, and that only means a harley, schmucks fail to realize the majority of their bike is already manufactured overseas.

So really its an assembly of chinese, canadian, US, and mexican parts in India.

I'd caveat it with I buy american as often as possible but it has to make sense from an economic and durability standpoint. Hence my Kawasaki that costs half that of a harley with zero maintenance shaft drive and hydraulic lifters. But I have a US made vehicle that scored high in reliability and was similar in cost to overseas competition. I did it when it made sense; I can't follow the buy American mantra blindly because I'm too poor. But I take donations.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I agree with you Streak, it's your money that you work hard for. If we Americans want to really compete with the rest of the world, we need to start making products that are high quality at competitive prices. Sorry I got off topic.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I agree with you Streak, it's your money that you work hard for. If we Americans want to really compete with the rest of the world, we need to start making products that are high quality at competitive prices. Sorry I got off topic.
What?? High quality at "competitive prices"?? That's just not American.

Its "image-association" that really makes money.

Why charge a reasonable/competitive price for a high quality product when you can just as easily, if not more easily, get people to pay unreasonable prices for a product that (regardless of performance) gets them into the "cool crowd"..??

:silly:

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What?? High quality at "competitive prices"?? That's just not American.

Its "image-association" that really makes money.

Why charge a reasonable/competitive price for a high quality product when you can just as easily, if not more easily, get people to pay unreasonable prices for a product that (regardless of performance) gets them into the "cool crowd"..??

:silly:
Cool crowd aside, outsourcing is the American way of life these days. To claim that anything is truly 100% American-made makes me skeptical simply because there are too many variables. To be truly American, are we just talking the parts being manufactured and assembled to the final product? Or do we go deeper and source the raw materials from only native soils? Do American-made products get tainted if they are forged or otherwise created by machines that are made in China? Does it really end???

All I'm saying is that the Buy American mantra is always very noble, but unrealistic these days. Pride in one's country is a great thing to have, as it brings us together as a nation. But overdo that pride, and overdo it blindly, and it's just a tad on the foolish side.

Perhaps I guess the Harley crowd will be happy to spread the love to the good people of India. Good for the people of India, cause there sure are enough of them! What I find funny is the absolute die-hard fans who are shouting the American pride but fail to realize that American pride these days relies so much on globalization. Those are the folks that no matter what you tell them, they will never believe you unless they visit a plant in Mexico and follow their HD parts personally through the manufacturing process and walk it up to an assembly plant on US soils.

I won't lie, I did look at Harleys when I was going to get a bike. Since this is my first, I had no real brand loyalty. I looked at a few bikes, but didn't even sit on any because they just weren't what I was after. Perhaps if the Vrod were a larger bike, I might have been interested in it. But then I looked into my wallet, and the moths that flew out pretty much convinced me that I was in the wrong dealership. :)

·
Banned
330 Posts
I don't get it.

This is about an article that says Harley is sending unassembled bikes to India to be assembled there, for the Indian market, to be price competitive because of India's tariffs.

So what.

Same thing the Japanese manufacturers have done for the American market. It's not a new pratice.

I'm not reading much here but Harley and "Harley crowd" bashing.

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
Actually I think most people were defending their business move and called them smart. We just refuted the harley being a 100% american motorcycle since it's not.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Actually I think most people were defending their business move and called them smart. We just refuted the harley being a 100% american motorcycle since it's not.
^^^ This.

The only "bashing" was more of a justification of why it's silly that so many stand so firmly that they are 100% American made. That's all I was saying, and that's all I will say. I'm still going to waive, no matter what you're riding.

·
Registered
472 Posts
^^^ This.

The only "bashing" was more of a justification of why it's silly that so many stand so firmly that they are 100% American made. That's all I was saying, and that's all I will say. I'm still going to waive, no matter what you're riding.
Me too. I have nothing against HD or the people that ride them. Just please don't say they are MADE IN AMERICA.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Harley themselves will not say the percentage of American made. So guessing it is quite low. They say they are an American Tradition. Huge difference.

Why do cars, fresh produce, meat, poultry, fish, etc have to list country of origin but not motorcycles?

·
Registered
472 Posts
Nope. Not if most of the parts aren't made here. Goldwings had been assembled here for years, but I didn't say they were made in America either. In fact many Honda cars are assembled here, same deal.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Harley themselves will not say the percentage of American made. So guessing it is quite low.
Why do cars, fresh produce, meat, poultry, fish, etc have to list country of origin but not motorcycles? They say they are an American Tradition. Huge difference.
I'll bet if you look at individual parts on a Harley you'll see the country it was made somewhere on that part.
Years ago the CHP went from riding Kawasaki to Harley. The main reason sited in the news was the want to support America. When those bikes started to need service the mechanics were surprised to find that many of the parts they were removing to do the service weren't made in America.
I want to say again, I'm NOT Harley bashing. I like many of their models.
They say they are an American Tradition. Huge difference. Yep

·
Registered
406 Posts
^^^ This.

That's either Freudian or the most clever play on words I've ever seen. :D

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
Car window stickers have country of origin for parts as well as assembly due to legislation but it hasn't become a requirement for bikes. It was a way to try and force companies to increase their percentage of manufacture or assembly in a specific country (ours). It sprouted from the "made in america" lobbying efforts of all the suppliers and american unions.

Politicians care where cars are made/assembled but not where bikes are made. How many congressmen ride bikes? They probably consider it small potatoes and it's definitely a much smaller lobbying base. Motorcyclists only want to lobby over helmet and exhaust laws because thats what's REALLY important....

1 - 20 of 24 Posts