RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you may know, I ordered the Ermax undertail from the 650 shop and it took longer than expected to get to me. It arrived 2 weeks after I had left for school, school being 6 hours away I wasn't planning to put it on till next season. Well my father wanted to surprise me by having it put for me today. This morning I get a phone call at 10 am from my father "Hey, I was going to surprise you by having your undertail put on but I can't figure out how to start your bike. Is there some secret method?" Yeah dad...what you need to do is put in the keycode on the dash then stand on the pegs and use the clutch lever like a kickstart while shouting "GO!" Anyway...for the life of me, I couldn't figure out why it wouldn't start for him. First I had him check that the battery was connected properly (being that we had it on the trickle charger), then I had him check the idle (because the bike was showing life). No luck, so he decides to call the dealer for additional suggestions. They tell him to check the spark plugs...in which he told me he had to remove the gas tank. Then it dawned on me, he prob forgot to connect the power commander...which intercepts the bikes cpu therefor if thats not connected he wasnt going anywhere. Anyways, that turned out to be the problem...so hopefully well have some ermax undertail pics on the way.

On a side note, does anybody know if disconnecting the power commander V from the battery has any negative effects on the information stored? Such as erasing maps, reseting to factory or some thing like that?

·
Registered
586 Posts
no

nice misleading title...

·
Banned
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
384 Posts
Nick,

I didn't realize you were the son of a Harley rider. There is hope for you after all. And I promise not to be so hard on your choice of bike colors. :wink:

Me on my other bike, (black of course)
(and yes, I'm just a poser, well not even a poser. My family says I'm just a big biker wanna be dork)

·
Registered
10,328 Posts
Now Glen, Kawasaki's official color is LIME GREEN.

I was disapointed to find out Kawi put out the green one the year after I got mine. I do like the candy plasma blue though.

This is what I am thinking about doing to my Mean Streak.

Don't worry, it is just Duct tape that was only sticky at the ends.

·
Banned
357 Posts
Why do you disconnect your Power Commander? Once I install mine on my 650 I never did anything else but plug in the USB connector to change the mapping.

·
Banned
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Why do you disconnect your Power Commander? Once I install mine on my 650 I never did anything else but plug in the USB connector to change the mapping.
I don't have an outlet near enough my bike in the garage for the trickle charger to reach it. So the battery has to be removed. What happened is, my father forgot to reconnect the power commander to the battery when he went to start the bike up today; the power commander itself and its connections to the cpu have stayed connected in the bike.

·
Banned
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nice cruisers guys,

two wheel...my friend did a stripe on his VFR which I personally found very appealing. Maybe do something like that w/ the mean streak. Single stripe, offset starting on the fender, crawling up the windshield, over the tank and to the tail? Pic below.

gforrest, yeah he has an '05 heritage softtail classic in pearl white. I learned how to lean my group rides from riding w/ his club. All the guys there tease me saying all I need is a harley sticker to cover the kawi

·
Banned
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Forgot to add it above..

·
Banned
357 Posts
I don't have an outlet near enough my bike in the garage for the trickle charger to reach it. So the battery has to be removed. What happened is, my father forgot to reconnect the power commander to the battery when he went to start the bike up today; the power commander itself and its connections to the cpu have stayed connected in the bike.
How about an extension cord?

·
Banned
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
How about an extension cord?
Personally, I don't find taking the battery out to be all that much of a hassle. Good looks tho. Btw, hows the moped?

·
Registered
217 Posts
by the title of this thread I thought this was going to be a funny story about a guy that couldn't start the 650R because he couldn't find the kick start lever:thud:

·
Registered
230 Posts
I was hoping it would be about the harley rider who couldn't find the non-mega sized start button....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts