RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Gold Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who's got hard luggage for their ZR-7(S)? What kind? Why do you like it? Why do you hate it?

(If you hate it, can I have it? :D )

·
The Deer Slayer
7,382 Posts
It always looked so huge on the back. And it was the first addition to ZR I can remember, from the very first artical I read. They do look kinda cool, but....huge. Can't imagine those gigunda boxes on the back. And it is the last I think of. Yet, I always see them as part of the bike's personality. So. A tourer it is ?

Which brings us to another question, one that has been raised before...

How far have you gone on your ZR ? In one ride.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Checked out the hard luggage for the bike, but thought it was a little pricey. I went with the Teknic sport bike bags. They hold a fair amount, and weren't too expensive. Only thing, make sure you place them far back on the seat so that your rider has plenty of room for there feet on the pegs. You actually have to get the back strap out from under the seat and across the back.

I know this isin't what you were looking for on the hard bags, but I thought you might want to know about the soft also.

Rob B

·
Dirty Dawg
1,336 Posts
Re: Hard bags

I have the Kawasaki/Givi hard luggage kit. I love it. The bags are secure, waterproof, easy to get on and off, and big (although not quite big enough to swallow my XL Arai). Using some tips from a fellow on the Yahoo! board, I went to Sears and bought some bolts that will allow me to mount one of the bags on the luggage rack as a top case, which is very nice for commuting duty. I especially like the security aspect, as the bags allow me to go the track and put my camera, gloves, jacket, boots, etc in a safe place. Speaking of the track, anybody going to Road Atlanta this weekend for the WERA GNF? See you there on Sunday . . .
--Tim

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have ordered the tubular rack mount and the Traffic2 E32 top case direct from Givi . I don't want the side bags just yet, but definately want the option for them later, so I got the side mountings along with the top. The mounting kit is $202, and that top case was about $230 with the extras I wanted. (integrated brake light and backrest)

I orded it over two weeks ago and have yet to receive it, even though when I called Givi, they said it would only take about 3 days to get here. When the shop I ordered from called them about it, Givi said that they didn't actually send out the set until this past Monday, Oct 22. I had ordered them on the 11th, so that's not something that's making me happy at the moment. Hopefully, they'll come in today, and I can install them this weekend. I'll keep you updated.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I also have the Givi rack ($202), with E21 sidecases and an E36 topcase. The E21 sidecases look much slimmer than the 36's, and are only $153.50 a pair. I ride much more often with hard luggage, as I don' t have to worry about carrying things.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I have the Kawi hard bags too. I love them. Lockable, watertight, secure and big enough to easily hold a week's worth of traveling stuff. BTW, I am the guy from the Yahoo board. :)

So far, my longest trip with them has been a long weekend (Fri, Sat, Sun) to Vegas. They worked great. My bike was the pack mule for mine and my buddy's gear and there was even a bit of room to spare. Once you are moving down the road, you don't really notice that they are there. However, I would think hard about lane splitting with them (for those in CA). The total width of the bags is 40", quite wide. Realistically, Kawi/Five Stars could have pulled the mounts in about 1" on both sides and still had plenty of room to spare before bodywork contact.

Tip for those that would like to put their helmets in the Givi E36. You need to remove the red document holder from the inside of the lid. I have a large RF800, which uses the XL shell, that will fit with this piece removed.

Tip for those that think the Kawi gear is too expensive. You can save over $100 by purchasing the EXACT same parts from Riderhaus. You would need a pair of E36 cases, the top rack kit and the side case mounts. IIRC, the total is under $500 to your door in the US.

Good luck in your purchase decision. :)

·
Wheelie for Safety
1,550 Posts
Now here is a clever idea for hard luggage. :)

You just have to remember to grease the wheels every few miles...

Andy

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hard luggage

DOCTOMMY, I had thought about the exact same setup that you have on your bike. Any way we could coax you into posting a picture :)

Mike B

1 - 10 of 10 Posts