RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This may be a stupid question, but if i found the right diameter pipe it seems like I could have a really cheap set of straight bars. I haven't ever removed the bars before so I could be looking at the parts diagram wrong however.
Anyone have any thoughts on ghetto bars? If that would work, any thoughts on a starting length? On the other hand I found a set of 32" drag bars for about 30 bucks. I guess I could sand the chrome and then paint.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work, but it's not going to be comfortable to ride. There is a reason the bars are angled back towards you.

Now if you just bend said straight bar back towards you a little then it should work fine. But without the proper equipment it'll be hard to get that bend exactly the same on both sides.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I'd just buy drag bars if that's what your into. BUT, they will probably hit the tank and be uncomfortable so not that practical. I'm not a fan of how they look but for $30 its worth giving a shot to see how you like them.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think I may do some measuring for the clearance. I figure I can keep the flat bars for around town and then if i wanna do a little road tripping it's only an hour to go back to stock.
I saw your bars after I initially posted and now I really want to do this. Did you flip the clamp around because the bar hit the tank? Sounds like you moved the bars forward an inch if i read right. I was hoping not to have to trim the fairing if I did this.
Do you have a website for those bars by the way?

·
Registered
80 Posts
yea it's a real tight fit. you are right, i flipped the clamp for tank clearance, also because i wanted a more forward riding position. there's unfortunately no way around the fairing (not that i know of!). but once the cutting is over and the crying stops you wont miss the extra plastic.

the bars are dirt cheap so if you dont like it there's no big loss.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/4/68/15396/ITEM/Bikemaster-Drag-Bar-Handlebar.aspx

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds like i may have to warm up the dremel

·
Registered
806 Posts
the drag bars i had hit the tank, the fairing, and my levers were angled up in the air. I hated them.

but I did what you are thinking(sort of) and made my own bars. I used .120" wall DOM steel tubing. Much thicker than any aftermarket bars, so bar ends wont fit without lots of dremelling, but I got them to work

and on the bike

sorry for the crap ton of pics, just trying to inspire you to make your own bar. Its fun, and not too hard, even for the compound bends that i wanted. My bars have about the overall height of drag bars, but angle towards the rear about 15 degrees and down about 7 degrees. Im really happy with the position. There is no rise if measured through the center of the grip area.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
looks good man. did you heat the bars to bend them. i saw a propane bottle in the background

1 - 9 of 9 Posts