RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered a new set of bars today. I wanted to raise mine an inch and get a little more pullback than the stock bars. After much measurement, I picked the Pro Taper Contour Raptor bend. That should be about an inch taller.

Anyway... after the swap, what do I need to do/buy to get the bar weights to reattach to the new bars? Are the inserts in the stock bars removable?

Thanks!

Rob

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
If it's like the 07-09's, the threaded part is welded into the bar. To use the stock bar ends, you'll probably have to buy a cheap set of bar end mirrors and take the expansion plug and bolt from them to mount them.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I ordered a new set of bars today. I wanted to raise mine an inch and get a little more pullback than the stock bars. After much measurement, I picked the Pro Taper Contour Raptor bend. That should be about an inch taller.

Anyway... after the swap, what do I need to do/buy to get the bar weights to reattach to the new bars? Are the inserts in the stock bars removable?

Thanks!

Rob
Rob...Why do you want to re-attach weights, I have the Pro Taper and like the feel without and don’t suffer with any wobble. Besides the bars have rolled in ends which makes the hole very small.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The purpose of the weights is twofold -- first, it reduces vibration, and second, they act as sliders in case you lay it down.

Plus, I use the RH weight when riding as a place to put my hand and better modulate the throttle, since I have a fixed surface to grasp with part of my hand, while the rest of it turns the grip.

Rob

·
Registered
133 Posts
I am thinking of getting bars that are slightly lower than stock , would also like to replace the bar ends . could find some aftermarket bar ends with exspansion plugs (or) find somone to weld a nut into the bars for you

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The answer might be a cheap set of aftermarket bar ends, and steal the pieces off of them. I saw a couple sets at CycleGear today.

Rob

·
Registered
32 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
zriderguy those are exactly the ones i'm talking about. They'll push you a little bit forward and a bit lower. gives a slightly more aggresive stance.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Still waiting for my 2011 z1000 to deliver. That said, I am researching upgrades etc.. and I have notice that some 2010s seem to have 22mm bars and others have the 27mm bars already installed. If I remember right the white/orange one at the dealer had 22mm bars. What's the deal with the 2 size variations? I have also read the clamps are all the same and there are size shims or adapter blocks inside the ones with 22mm bars? More info please. TIA.

·
Registered
78 Posts
There are shims in the oem bar clamp. Removing those allows the use of the larger bar. I just installed the Rizoma bar, it's larger in diameter but similar bends to the oem. When installing you remove two shims in the clamp. Not that it makes much of a difference but the oem bar is a tank. It weighs about 3x what the Rizoma weighs. Also be careful when ordering with what rise you get. Anything lower may hit the tank when turned side to side unless you rotate them up at a weird angle. Be aware that you SHOULD drill small holes in an aftermarket bar for small plastic pins in the throttle assembly and left bar controls so they sit flush and don't rotate on the bar. The oem bar has slots for the pins.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts

Hey Transistorkc,
I have those too but they aren't on the bike yet. it's still in the shop.
how do they feel in comparison to the stock ones? higher lower?
I went nuts and have the grips, barends, 812 mirrors, brake fluid res and the clamp too! woohoo.

by the way thanks for recommending Pj's parts. They have been my best online shopping experience in 9yrs!
back with more on that... I emailed them this comment to add to their site.

"Friendly prompt service. Way over and above the call of duty and the best online shopping service and experience that I have had in the last 9 years.
They even took the time and called me long distance to tell me they could save me $10 on priority shipping if I made an adjustment! WOW!!
All of my parts showed up packed with extreme care and on time. "

·
Registered
50 Posts
The geometry feels close to stock, but they feel much better.

I'm currently running with OEM grips and no bar ends. It feels like I have less vibration than I had with the OEM bars and those giant bar ends.

I've got the OEM bar ends in my garage now. Those things are a freaking joke! They feel more like a weapon than handlebars.

I'm planning on ordering the Rizoma sportline grips and conical bar ends shortly. I didn't do it right away, as I was still debating what I wanted to do for mirrors.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Cool I like the stock height anyway. I didn't want to go lower.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Any updates on this topic? I want to get some lower handlebars, though I like how wide the stock bars are..

Sounds like the Protaper Evolution bars will fit this bill no?

·
Registered
32 Posts
They're what i use. Only thing is if you want the stock width on the bars you'll have to cut them down about an inch or so. I wanted mine a little wider so i left them alone. The hardest part about the swap for me was getting the locator pin slots drilled.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts