RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like to ride even when it is in the 30's and 40's. I have the right clothing to stay warm but my hands still get cold. I have a pair of warm gloves but the wind can still get thru them.

Has anyone installed hand guards to deflect the wind?

Or do I need to bite the bullet and buy a pair of Winter Driving gloves for around $60. I hate to do this because it is only cold for about 2 - 3 months in this part of Texas.

·
West Coast Moderator
12,996 Posts
Yes, but nothing that's on the market now. I've designed and built 2 sets for the '00 with one more set promised that I haven't gotten out yet for the '01 (and I feel really bad about that too. They are coming!!). I'm not going to advertise here without permission, but you can e-mail me and I'll tell you all about them.

·
MotoMacGyver
2,546 Posts
Here's an unabashed advertisement for Martin - as I've just ordered a set from him. I've seen his own set on his bike before, and they work pretty good. I have a set of winter gloves (they could double for snowmobile gloves actually) that I ride with almost all fall and winter long, but the wind still gets through. My gloves are some of the thickest I've seen, yet it's still not enough to block out all the wind. If you had the hand guards, you'd be toasty warm.

Emrah

·
Dirty Harry.... Moderator
9,816 Posts
emrah said:
Here's an unabashed advertisement for Martin - as I've just ordered a set from him. I've seen his own set on his bike before, and they work pretty good. I have a set of winter gloves (they could double for snowmobile gloves actually) that I ride with almost all fall and winter long, but the wind still gets through. My gloves are some of the thickest I've seen, yet it's still not enough to block out all the wind. If you had the hand guards, you'd be toasty warm.

Emrah
Stay tuned to this thread, I have a set of Martin's guards installed and plan on putting them to the test soon. Pics and opinions to follow. My initial reaction on just looking at these things, is well, Martin has a very good product. And I think you will all agree. Tom :cool:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Thin gloves, warm hands

Airostich (sp) has a heated grip kit with high output film which fit under the stock grips. The cost is low @ $37.00 US. I had heated grips on my last bike and it was nice being able to wear thin gloves and still have warm hands. I hope this helps.

·
West Coast Moderator
12,996 Posts
I have those also. They work really good, but with the wind ripping between your fingers, they weren't as effective as they are now. They are well the money though.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Cold Hands=> "Hot Grips"

GGG-ZR7S.... I live in Mi and got tired of the thick gloves required to keep the paws warm, not to mention the lack of feel that you have with thick gloves. I purchased a set of "Hot Grips" right from Hot Grips Co on the net. They bore the ends out for the weights and they come with a switch and wiring. They have low and high and man they work well. Hi will vaporize your skin even through gloves if left on for too long. Another benifit is that these replace the stock grips and are bigger in diameter. Much more comfortable on the hands. I purchased the optional Mini-Switch that mounts on the handle bar. It took me 1 hr to install and wire. Shoot some WD-40 under your stock grips and run a small screw drive around the inside and they will slide right off. The new ones go on with epoxy glue.

·
West Coast Moderator
12,996 Posts
Jarel is the master behind the page. The '00 is mine and the other 3 pics are the set I made for Tom.

·
9,816 Posts
Hey Guys and Gals, keep an eye open for this thread, as I have more photos of the guards to come. I sent Martin 3 of them off the bike and now I will send some on my bike also. I've ridden with them on and they do work. Tom

·
Wheelie for Safety
1,550 Posts
GGG-ZR7S said:
It looks like those attach to handlebar mounted mirrors. If so, they won't work on the 2001 models.
Yes they would. On the 2001 models we still have the handle bar mirror mounting holes. Just pop-off the little black plastic piece that covers the hole.

Andy

·
West Coast Moderator
12,996 Posts
I seen those before I decided to make my own, and they are part of the reason I made my own. Those are just a tad more elaborate than the mud guards the factories put on their dirt bikes. What makes them not so effective is they don't come back far enough to deflect the air around your hands. The air circulates around them and still gets to your hands.

·
9,816 Posts
I once thought of trying to adapt the Kaw KLR 650 guards to my bike, then quickly dismissed the idea after further thoughts on them. They are on the KLR for "knuckle protection" only, not cold wind protection. The National Cycle stuff looks good on cruisers, IMHO. Not sure I'd want to put them on my ZR-7, because they would end up on a shelf in my garage. Tom

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have had my Hand Guards that Martin made on the bike for a week now. The lowest temp that I have ridden with them so far has been about 38 Deg. I have been able to wear my regular weather gloves and not get frost on my hands. And I feel I have better control with the thinner gloves on. They were well worth the money. I would recommend them to anyone that wants to ride when it is below 55 Deg. :cool:

·
Registered
83 Posts
I also have a set of Martin's handguards. They do exactly what they are supposed to do very well, block the wind from your hands. I am able to wear my thickest gloves in them, but they allow me to wear my thinner gloves a lot more often, which I like because it gives me more control. I would suggest to any of you that have a problem with your hands getting cold to contact Martin and order your self a set.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts