RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got the bike serviced last week £350 sterling. The valves were adjusted and now I can hear them rattling under the cover. Is this normal? Also I'm sure the bike has lost some power. I think i'll start to do my own servicing now, all they did was set the valves change the rear pads, change the oil, change the air filter and give all the moving parts a general lube. I could have done that in a day. I'm going to buy a workshop manual now.

·
The Deer Slayer
7,382 Posts
That noise may be normal, everyone seems to have it on their ZR's. But yes, oil, filters and common stuff, always do it yourself, the book is a must. But why the loss of power ? That seems very odd.

Tony

·
Maintenance Overlord
5,609 Posts
That 350 pounds is exhortbitant.

Ask your dealer for an account and it should indicate the number and thickness of shims used. He should also tell you what the valve clearances are. You are also entiltled to keep the old shims, they can be used for future adjustments.

That rattling could be poorly adjusted valve clearances. Incorrectly adjusted clearances will also effect the valve timing and hence alter your power output

btw I have just bought a ZR-7 indirectly through this forum, it belonged to Glenn Darragh, it is immaculate and a credit to Glenn. I hope to be able to contribute more to this forum, now that I am having some hands on experience with this bike.

Graeme Gould at Byron Bay ...the most Easterly part of Australia

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think I jumped the gun a bit on the power loss. It was a very cold night when I first drove to work after the service and the bike has since got better as it's got a little warmer.
The valves are still a bit noisy, but iv'e had thoughts on that.
The bike was in for 4 days and I had'nt ridden the bike for a week prior to the service.
Probiably my hearing had made a small recovery from when I last rode and now i'm going deaf again so the valve noise is slowly going fainter.
The cost of the service Graeme was mainly labour. The cost was about £40 an hour (not that the mechanic saw much of that). He spent about 6 hours working on it. When parts and labour were totaled up then they add on vat (value added tax) at 17.5%. I'm not going back to the shop, not unless disaster strikes. I'm going to take a days leave from work when the next one is due and I'm going to learn the valves inside out. Thanks for the advice.

Z

·
0 Posts
:D ...well, I get my beautiful BLUE baby back from the shop! :D The total bill is $212.50 US for the 6,000 mile service (Valves, oil/filter, lube, etc..)...My mechanic, "Lester", said the bike runs like a raped ape! ..... I can't wait! :D The weather is going to be freezing cold, so I'll have to put on the ski pants and thermals for the ride home....i'll let everyone know if there really is a difference..

Ride Safe!

Pete
:cool:

·
Registered
76 Posts
valve noise

i asked my mechanic and he said you would never hear your valves...you just dont want them to get to tight

·
Maintenance Overlord
5,609 Posts
old thread, but appropriate

Hi anzore,

I did my valves about 6 months ago 6,000kms or 3,600miles to the unconverted, the valves were noisey for the 1st few months, but are quiter now.

I set the valves as close to the mid clearance position as the shim shuffle would allow, and I was a little disappointed at 1st.

I am looking forward to the next valve clearance check and I am hoping that is all that is required.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Shims and Noise

When you do a valve adjustment on a motorcycle engine the valves tend to tighten up with time. Unlike a car where they loosen.

Excessive noise after an adjustment is normal, and yes, you should hear it going away after a few hundred miles.

The reason I am doing my own is because they were going to charge me $400 US for my 6000 mile tune up.

R

·
0 Posts
As JediDan explained, motorcycle valves usually tighten over time. When you have them adjusted, the mechanic will make them looser by putting in slightly smaller shims. This could increase the valve noise you hear slightly. Putting in a smaller shim will also decrease the valve lift slightly. Assuming that the adjusted valve(s) were not much out of spec, there could be a very slight decrease in performance after a valve adjustment. If you waited too long to adjust them and had a valve with no clearance, performance could increase very noticeably after an adjustment.

·
Silver Member
4,960 Posts
WOW that's allot of money. I did the same service minus the air filter for $26, and that's using full synthetic oil.
Definitely start doing your own service work.

·
Registered
35 Posts
No joke!

Even though I ended up spending about $1000 building up my own garage full of tools (I pretty much had nothing to start with) I'll have it paid back in, well, about 2.5 x 6000 miles :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Serpentine said:
... ... ... using full synthetic oil. [/B]
DID U HAVE SYNTH in your baby !!!!!
cose I'v heard that ain't work becouse of viscosity and the clutch doesn't work smoothly
Is it wrong ?!?:Wow1:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Re: shu's bike paint

graeme gould said:
Hi shu,

Interesting paint job on your bike, or is that the light causing that effect.

ava good day
NO, is not the light, is thee original Kawasaki Red Met. color
... and I'm proud of it...LOL

by the way: if I want to paint the side cover in the same color too, it coste me 50 (fifty)US$
isn't that a shame ?!?

·
Registered
154 Posts
12,000 km service

Well, I just got my bike back from the 12,000 km service and I must say that the valves are tappy. I read somewhere else that tappy valves are happy valves, so I hope that's right!
I was really dissapointed with the job because they charged me $50 for 3.6l of oil (Motul 5100) when I could have bought 3.8l for $48 in their parts department. On the ride home I noticed the engine felt quite hot. When I checked the oil level later it was way over full - totally filled the oil window, so now I have to drain some out. I also asked them to check / adjust the idle mixture screws and all they did was adjust all the slack out of the throttle cable! All this for $370.
Needless to say I have rung the manager and told him what I thought!
Hopefully next service I will have the time to do it myself:yell:

·
Maintenance Overlord
5,609 Posts
Jenny's Service

Sorry to hear about your service.

How will you lower your oil level? looks like they poured in the 4litre container into the engine.

I would of asked the service manager for the clearances on each valve, and the size of shims he used and their location.

$370 is probabley a reasonable price for this service, 95% of the time goes into doing the valve check and at $50 or more an hour it doesn't take long to rack up century bucks.

As the bike is probabley still under warranty I guess you like to have the work done by a Kawa dealer, most of the work you could do yourself.

btw who is the dealer?

ava good day

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hey Essexman

Who did your service? Was it a main dealer? £40 Hr is damn expensive. I gave the main dealer a miss and now use a tuning outfit called TAGG Racing. I now only pay £10 an hour. And the service is really good. If your worried about service records, warrenties etc any dealer with a VAT No is usually authorised to stamp the record of services.
Dave.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts