RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Wants to be "Fade"....
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered a new windscreen today from Gustafsson which is located in Florida. The screen I orderedwas a Yamaha FZ1 1000 `99-`04 SW 18" Tall 15 1/2" Wide. I got a light smoke and believe or not it was sent this afternoon. These people are on the ball when it comes to customer service. The gentleman also said if anything was wrong with it because of shipping just call and he would send a new one as soon as I called. It was 89.95 plus shipping and it should be here early next week.....a big
:righton: to this company Gustafsson and they have screens for almost every bike:glassesti

·
Wants to be "Fade"....
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I ordered the screen Friday about 10:30 am and today about 10:00 am it was delievered .......thats what I call service. The packaging was up to par....so now I have some Florida news print to read. Screen is almost 3/16 thick and very sturdy ....fit and finish gets a "A" in my book. The only problem I had was once I got it installed..........it started raining and couldn't take it for a test drive. .....but we all knew that was going to happen....according to Murphy's laws.:smokin:

·
Wants to be "Fade"....
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well Berto thanks for asking..................It seems there are quite a few screens for the FZ1 and from what I've been able to gather from a $hit load of posts [email protected] FZ1OA the Gustafsson Steve Wells model is a winner. This is the new model at 15.5in wide screen instead of the 13.5in model......and the height is the same on both screens @ 18in. The weather is supposed to be better tomorrow so I will let you know how functional it is. The ZG double bubble looks good but there's so much wind buffeting comming from the mirrors it makes that screen useless unless you tuck in behind it .......and you can't do that all day.:smokin:

·
Registered
221 Posts
That +5 in screen for the Z1000 looks good, but I would have to see a pic of it on a bike first. I bet it would do wonders for my commute though??? :sadpace:

·
Registered
551 Posts
fade said:
I ordered a new windscreen today from Gustafsson which is located in Florida. The screen I orderedwas a Yamaha FZ1 1000 `99-`04 SW 18" Tall 15 1/2" Wide. I got a light smoke and believe or not it was sent this afternoon. These people are on the ball when it comes to customer service. The gentleman also said if anything was wrong with it because of shipping just call and he would send a new one as soon as I called. It was 89.95 plus shipping and it should be here early next week.....a big
:righton: to this company Gustafsson and they have screens for almost every bike:glassesti
I guess they dont' consider the ZR 7S a bike worthy of their product line.

Tried using their search engine but no go. I could find ZZR or ZRX.

Guess I'll just have to go with the ZG screen.

·
Wants to be "Fade"....
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Call and tell them and they will work with you on making one for the ZR-7S................They worked with a guy out in Cali to make one of the FZ1 models..........shipping it back and forth. It would be worth giving them a call ...maybe you'll get the first one free........FREE!:cool:

·
Registered
5,326 Posts
fade said:
The ZG double bubble looks good but there's so much wind buffeting comming from the mirrors it makes that screen useless unless you tuck in behind it .......and you can't do that all day.:smokin:
I'll agree with that about the ZG-DB!!! That's what came with my bike and I'm ditching it this spring. I think I'm going to try the function over form route and get the MRA vario touring windscreen.

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/1726/363/

·
Wants to be "Fade"....
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I thought about that one to......but at $149.00 I wanted to try the Gustafsson first for $89.00 . At 6'1'' I need some wind protection and if this one doesn't work I might go for the MRA:cool:

·
Johnny Blue Lightnin'
12,151 Posts
I see they make one for the mighty KLR. Actually a few. I had terrible noise and buffeting from the stock KLR windshield. It started at about 30mph. At 70 it was so bad it blurred my vision.
I cut the "flip" off the top of the windshield and rounded the upper edges a bit and now it is fairly quite below 50mph and tolerable up to 90.

Sometimes less is more...

·
Registered
551 Posts
Chris Mundell said:

I'll agree with that about the ZG-DB!!! That's what came with my bike and I'm ditching it this spring. I think I'm going to try the function over form route and get the MRA vario touring windscreen.

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/1726/363/

Pardon my ignorance but it looks MRA screen looks like a stock screen with a Laminar Lip installed.

·
Registered
5,326 Posts
GerryPetrecca said:

Pardon my ignorance but it looks MRA screen looks like a stock screen with a Laminar Lip installed.
Sort of, the Laminar Lip isn't adjustable from what I can see on the web site.

www.laminarlip.com

And I don't care for the desing much for the one they have for the FZ1 either.

·
Johnny Blue Lightnin'
12,151 Posts
Chris Mundell said:

My question is which one provides the smoothest air flow around my head.
That sems to be the most important thing. The Laminar Lip and the MRA design are made to reduce the turbulance created by the air running off the top of the windshield. If you go to the Laminar Lip site I'm sure they explain it there.

·
Wants to be "Fade"....
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Friday was a beautiful day here in central Ky and I was about to take the bike for a spin around noon when my beer drinking buddy showed up.....so nix that idea. He had taken the day off from work so I took the day off from looking for employment......... so we drank a beer then hit the tennis courts at Centre College like the old days. The sun was shinning , the wind was warm and it felt like I was on center court at the US Open. That was an amazing time and before you knew it a hour and a half had just dissapered. Now I had only one thing on my mind ...to get on the bike and ride.......but if you know the weather in Ky all you have to do is turn around and it has changed. So by the time we got back to my house it started raining and this only lasted 15-20 minutes but it was enough to soak the roads. So all you have to do is turn around again and the sun was back out with not a cloud in the sky. I waited till about 4:30 before I ventured out and was quite amazed how the new screen had gotten rid of 90 percent of the wind buffeting. I finally know what clean air is. The wind off the shield hit me right at the chinbar of my helmet but it was smooth with less noise and a run up to 120 was not changed. The buffeting effect was about 75% better when following traffic ....mostly trucks in this area. I thought that it might cut all the wind off but I'm 6'1'' so I ride pretty high in the saddle.....so I don't really know what I was thinking. The real culprit is the damn mirrors which channel a disturbing airflow around the lower part of the shield to hit my chest. So I tried the mirrors bent down, bent up, level but nothing seemed to help. I might look for some that have a better aerodynamic shape to then.....like a cone that goes to a point. Now there's a mod where you can switch the mirrors with a little asistance from a dremel tool and make them lower and wider.(will post a pic)
But the shield is about 90% better that the ZGDB and makes the ride soooooooooo much nicer.

·
Johnny Blue Lightnin'
12,151 Posts
Want clean air? Get a totally naked ZR-7. Clean air is a beautiful thing. :D

·
Registered
5,326 Posts
JonF said:
Actually when my ZR-7 was totally naked I found it quite turbulent. That's why I had the Buel fly screen, which helped a LOT.

As for the mirrors, Fade's right. But I think I may try some bar end mounted mirrors if I can find someone who can turn my bar ends down so I have a place to mount them.

My MRA screen "should" be here this week (I hope) so I will have it mounted before I even get the bike out of storage.

I'm purchasing all my new mods with money orders and having them shipped to where I work. This helps keep my credit card $$$ under control and keeps anyone else (wife) from knowing just how much I've spent, or even if I spent anything at all :FIREdevil I'll be ordering the AIS removal form HoleShot on Monday :D

·
Wants to be "Fade"....
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
JonF said:
Jon........I had clean air when I had the Z1000.....but over 100mph the clean air tends to push you off the bike if you don't have a death grip on the handle bars. G-force is totally different on a liter bike vs a ZR7 when you wind it up.:smokin: Thats why I installed the ZG double bubble on the Z1000 that I had on the ZR-7S.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts