RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all!

In my epic journey of installing Woodcraft frame sliders (The post of which will soon be linked here), I had to remove the side/main/middle fender, cowling, whatever you want to call it- the main piece of plastic that sits at the side of your bike.
I couldn't see any post on how to remove this simply, and the service manual makes it sound like you have to take half the bike apart first (Removing other pieces of the body). It's actually very easy, and here's what I found worked best for me, in both text/picture and video format: (Note: This is done on the left side of the bike, but everything is the same on the right)

Also, there is another great post by kojiiro here: Fairing Removal He has both a video on fairing removal and re-installation, so be sure to check out his thread for more information.

VIDEO:::

TEXT/PICTURE:::
Required tools:
-4mm allen key/bit
-2 smallish screwdrivers (Semi-optional)
That's it!

Step 1:
Remove screws using your allen key/bit at the circled spots
GOPR0228_zps3df73230.jpg GOPR0230_zps0bbc6c96.jpg

Step 2:
Remove all of the quick rivets.
To do so: Use one of your screwdrivers to push on the middle part of the rivet until it pops in a bit, then pull it out with your fingers/screwdrivers
Note: Make sure to keep track of where each quick rivet goes! Each is different and annoying to figure out its home if you mix things up.
Right in front of the steering column:
GOPR0229_zps2e0105d1.jpg
On the inside of the fairing, towards the front of the bike:
GOPR0232_zps53433b1f.jpg
On the inside of the fairing, next to the radiator:
GOPR0234_zps92a2aeee.jpg
-----CONTINUED ON THE NEXT POST-----

Reactions: N00b_Jase

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
On the lower fender:
GOPR0235_zps6357be2b.jpg

Step 3:
With everything off, just pull the fender backwards and wiggle it around a bit. The small hooks, the slots for which pictured below, won't break unless you really mess things up, so don't worry too much about them.
GOPR0238_zps5dbb77f8.jpg

Step 4:
With the fender off, take off the wire connection for the turn signal (Push in on the tap and pull out):
GOPR0239_zps19762702.jpg

And there you have it! Your fender is off!

To put it back on, just do everything in the reverse order. Make sure the hooks are lined up with the fender before you start screwing things back in!
To put the rivets back in, just take out the middle piece, push in the outer piece where it needs to go, than push in the middle piece until it's flush.

I hope you found this useful, and let me know if you want anything added or changed.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
Cant watch the video right now cause I am at work but I made a similar video a few weeks ago on fairing removal. Took 4 minutes while still moving camera tripod and positioning it for the video. Hopefully this video gives people that have never removed theirs yet the confidence in doing so.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
It looks good.
The only other thing that might need mentioning is that three of the quick rivets are larger than the other ones. One goes on the inner side of each faring behind the blinkers and the other goes at the top dead center under the headlights. The only reason I mention it is because I imagine the well nuts/holes are larger in those locations and this might cause the smaller quick rivets to fall out or let the farings move some.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice Guide. How often does the blue bus get used :)
It's a 1979 Volkswagen bus, and it gets used a few times a week for random errands. Lots of fun and turned heads. ;)

Cant watch the video right now cause I am at work but I made a similar video a few weeks ago on fairing removal. Took 4 minutes while still moving camera tripod and positioning it for the video. Hopefully this video gives people that have never removed theirs yet the confidence in doing so.
That's the idea. I thought it would be much harder than it was, but since I made this post I took it off and on half a dozen times already (Frame slider install). I'm sure there's already stuff out there on this topic, but more is never worse when it comes to guide in my opinion. :) Where's your video at?

It looks good.
The only other thing that might need mentioning is that three of the quick rivets are larger than the other ones. One goes on the inner side of each fairing behind the blinkers and the other goes at the top dead center under the headlights. The only reason I mention it is because I imagine the well nuts/holes are larger in those locations and this might cause the smaller quick rivets to fall out or let the fairings move some.
Well the two you mentioned are bigger, and then the other two (one at the front top of the middle inner fairing, one at the back) are different lengths. I'll add a note mentioning to keep track of which rivet goes where.

Reactions: Lean It

·
Registered
3,014 Posts

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Reactions: kojiiro

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
Wow, I can't believe I missed your post! Sorry about stomping on your toes there, I will most certainly make a reference to you post with a link. :)
LOL dont feel bad, like I said this is great to get people confident. Plus your audio is better than mine cause I mumble lol.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts