RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I ended up getting the bag I'd asked about in this post:

http://www.riderforums.com/ninja-650r-accessories/87842-does-anyone-have-tail-bag.html

I'm pretty happy with it. It's well made, has nice details (such as little hoods for the zipper pulls to prevent them from flapping in the wind), and can hold a lot if you expand the sides. You can find lots of reviews of it online, but no info about how it would mount/look on a Ninja 650, so here's how it sits on my 2015:

IMG_4127 (1).jpg IMG_4129 (1).jpg IMG_4126 (1).jpg IMG_4128 (1).jpg

The bag comes with four straps (two for the front, and two for the back) to attach it to your bike, but they're all really long–nearly three feet each. This would be great if you want your bike to look like a WW I biplane, but I wanted the thing to look sleek and hug the rear seat, which required a little playing around.

Each strap ends in a sewn loop (about two inches in diameter), so, not wanting to cut any of the straps (in case I screwed up or changed my mind), I joined two of them (for the front strap) together underneath the seat, simply by using an old key ring:

IMG_4130 (1).jpg

The long leftover ends are hidden between the bag and the pad it sits on. And this way, when the seat is attached to the bike, the tail bag is locked to the bike, similar to the way the Kawi-made bag attaches. I used the same trick to shorten the rear strap, and it simply loops under the the tail in front of the fender. It's secure and compact.

Anyway, I thought you guys (and gals) might find this info interesting, if you were considering getting one of these things and were curious (as I had been) about how the thing mounts atop the Ninja 650.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Just picked that tail bag up while it was on sale as well to go along with the Cortech saddle bags. Very well built as far as soft bags go.

And to answer your question Green, Yes, anyone can just walk up and take them... at least in my case. probably a bit more secure routing it under the pillion though. I usually unbuckle them if leaving the bike unattended.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
With the front straps running under the seat (as I have it set up), it's kind of "theft-deterrent," but not "theft-proof." The bag mounts to a pad underneath it (included with the bag), which sits atop the seat. So if you were a thief, you could make off with part of it (i.e., the bag part without the pad), or you could cut the straps with a knife, but then you've got a mucked-up bag. Security-wise, the bigger issue is that the bag's compartments aren't set up to be lockable; i.e., there's no double zipper which you could lock by threading a little luggage padlock through the pulls. But I don't find that an issue for my usage.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts