RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
MotoMacGyver
2,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. Well, I just couldn't wait any longer, so I bought myself a full one-piece leather suit and boots. The suit is the "Silverstone" model by Teknic. That was $650 with tax. The boots are Sidi Vertebra 2. They were about $250 with tax.

And, many of you will be happy to know that I did comparison shop online, then went to my dealer and asked if they would match prices. They said they would. The prices were within a few dollars anyway (given tax, shipping, etc.), so I bought them at the dealer.

Just rode home with them. Man they feel good! It's not something I'll wear everyday (as I commute on my bike almost daily), but for really spirited twisty riding, like I've been doing for the past 2 days now - even scraping pegs a few times; no "chicken strips on my rear tire any more either. I'm also going to make it so some track days hopefully within the next few months. I'm still looking to buy that cheapie Ninja 250 or 500 as a "track bike"; one that I can go down on and not feel too bad.

Anyway just thought I'd inform the board of my new toys. Plus I look sooooo cool in them :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Ok, ok, I think I'll take them off now. It's getting hot in this thing.

Emrah

·
Registered
988 Posts
Pictures please.

·
MotoMacGyver
2,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After reading Andy Bajka's description on how to post pictures on this forum.... er... no. :( As much as I would love to do my best Supermodel-in-leathers pose for everybody, I think it's too big a hassle to post them here. I'm still trying to work on getting a personal website developed (one of the low-budget ones where people can just see pics I've posted and such).

However, I'm sure there are pics on the Web. I know www.parts411.com has the pics (not great ones) of the suit, as this is where I was comparison shopping. I'm not sure if it has the Vertebra 2 boots on there or not. Those are pretty common and they're in magazines all the time. They'll most likely be in stock at a local dealer as well.

Maybe when I take a track day, I'll get someone to take a pic of me leaned way over. Or at least have them hold the camera on an angle, so my lean looks like I actually know what I'm doing! :laugh:

Emrah

·
Wheelie for Safety
1,550 Posts
Emrah asked that I post a picture for him.

He wanted to stress that he went through the whole rack to find leather that came from the best part of the cow. He is utterly certain he has found the best pair... :D

Andy

·
MotoMacGyver
2,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok folks, that is NOT what they look like. I'll have you know mine are blue and black. :D

Emrah

P.S. Those extra "appendages" would be great for a passenger to hold on to, wouldn't they? :laugh: :laugh:

·
MotoMacGyver
2,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh, forgot to mention that they'd also be great for an on-the-go visor cleaner. Just point upwards, squirt and wipe! No need to stop.

Emrah:laugh:

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
congrats emrah! so it's not just me who wears brand new gear around the house? sometimes i'll even clothespin a beach towel around my neck for the total super hero effect :laugh:

i got my boots the day before our last ride together and i hope to be getting some pants to go with my jacket in the next month or so. can't wait!

scott :)

·
Silver Member
881 Posts
If you get them made from Brahman hide you get that neat hump on the back like Max Biaggi :D:D:D:D

Did you get knee scrapers, built-in back protector etc ? No doubt in full leathers they do give you the confidence to go faster.

:)

·
Registered
988 Posts
Email a photo to one of us and we'll post it for you (seriously). It's easy when you know how, but I would be first to admit that it took a little while to work it out.

[Someone has to control Andy - he's getting far too cocky :) :) ]

·
MotoMacGyver
2,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's got protection, but does not have knee sliders with it. It
does have the little velcro patches where knee sliders attach to. Didn't buy the sliders though. Not leaning over that far yet. The knees themselves are hard plastic, while the shoulders, elbows and back have that really hard foam. I think I can probably shell out for a separate back protector and wear it under the suit if I need to. I compared a few of the higher-priced models (like the Alpinestars and Dainese and such), and they were all similar in what they offered as far as hard/soft protection. I'm sure the price differences are in the stitching, the quality of leather and it's thickness. This is a very nice suit, but not the top of the line. I went for a middle of the road one. I figured if I'm going to drop a ton of cash, don't buy the cheapest one. They had one for $400 or something, but it was sheepskin and not cowhide. This one seems to have good quality and the build and stitching are nice. It's also got Kevlar on the shoulders and chest area. Pretty neat. Now I just nead a "spank me on a track day" bike.

I'll try and get a pic taken and send it to one of you guys. It'll be a little weird though. Can you imagine asking your roomate, "Hey, will you take a picture of me in a tight leather suit so I can post it on the Internet?" !!!:eek:

Emrah

·
West Coast Moderator
12,996 Posts
Next time you come down this way we can post it here if you want.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Scott A. needs pants

Dude,

You must get some pants before we go riding! Hate to see you riding around bare-assed:laugh: on the ZR-7. It could drop your resell value of the stock seat!

Philip

·
Registered
304 Posts
What do you wear under leathers?

Emrah,

Do you wear your regular clothes under the leathers or what...? Do they offer something like a thermal long-johns for the summer months?

Philip

·
MotoMacGyver
2,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I only rode back from the dealer (Bert's) so I've only worn them once. I won't wear them everyday. When I did wear them though, I had on my boxers and a T-shirt underneath. They're not super tight or anything, but I don't think I could fit in them with pants on. Long Johns would be perfect on a cold day though.

Emrah

·
MotoMacGyver
2,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Scotty (scottymac). I'll try to take a pic of them soon and email it to you. What's your email? I know it seems I'm pretty computer illiterate, but I'm really not. However, I've had problems trying to send stuf to people on this board through the "email" here. Can you email me your email address so I can send the pic to you?

[email protected]

Thanks,

Emrah

1 - 17 of 17 Posts