RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was Spliting lanes going North on the 57 in the car pool, the carpool is about to split away over a bridge so I slow down to let any cars that need to move over do so. The bridge is coming up and the double yellows are present again so I start to split lanes again. I guess this guy needs to make the next exit or something because as I am passing him he trys to cross double yellows just before the carpool lane splits away. He hits me then quickly goes back into his lane. Luckly I didn't fall over but at that moment my left hand was hurting.He was going around 10-20mph and I was going about 30-40mph when it happened. We pull over, check out the damage. My left hand, no redness or visual damage but a little bit of pain. My 09 650R, no visible damage except for the scratched and loose left frame slider (Thank you 650 shop for the cutless framesliders:notworthy). I got his info

I was thinking about just getting a new left frame slider puck or whatever (can I buy just one from the 650 shop?) and going to the doc to check my hand (got medical insurance) and sending him the bill. Or should I go the "get the insurance companies invovled" route which I am reluctant since I don't know if I'll get penalized for anything and have my rates go up for less than a hundred buck worth of damage.

(Damn... 10k miles and about 9 of them put on while lane splitting. I was starting to think it wouldn't happen to me)

·
Banned
679 Posts
I was thinking about just getting a new left frame slider puck or whatever (can I buy just one from the 650 shop?) and going to the doc to check my hand (got medical insurance) and sending him the bill. Or should I go the "get the insurance companies invovled" route which I am reluctant since I don't know if I'll get penalized for anything and have my rates go up for less than a hundred buck worth of damage.

(Damn... 10k miles and about 9 of them put on while lane splitting. I was starting to think it wouldn't happen to me)
Dk what to tell you bud, but just about everytime I've heard of a car accident where the victim was attempting to be nice it never works out. It's good to hear you had the peace of mind to get his info. I would most likely go the insurance route, but it would prob be good to get a little info. before that. 9k miles lane splitting...you need more days off.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I would get him to cover ur new puck and doctor visit. But won't your doctor visit just be a co-pay? So might not be that much money anyways. If he doesn't play ball then insurance. I doubt insurance would give you a hard time since it will be such a low pay out.

Glad you didn't get hurt.

·
Registered
543 Posts
First off, glad to hear you weren't more injured.... there isn't much you can do in some of those incidences(is that a word?) especially if the driver isn't paying attention.

we DO have replacement pucks for the frame sliders they are $29.99 per puck.

-Call us!

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
any deductible on your mc insurance? that would cover your expenses, perhaps?

lane-splitting is simutaneously a boon and a bane, isn't it? however, i NEVER split while in the carpool lane(s), even if the traffic is moving very slowly.

sometimes i waver whether to take the carpool lane; can't decide if traffic flow merits it. sometimes i can ride faster while splitting lanes 1/2 than riding in the carpool lane.

glad you and your bike are not worse off.

·
Registered
10,328 Posts
Without a witness, and without his admission of guilt in writing, the best you can hope for is that he pays for the puck and the doc. If you get the insurance companies involved you will probably have to file a police report, etc and then they will probably do your word against his.

You are very lucky. You have been given another day to ride.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Sounds like you got off lightly. Could have been soo much worse.

So in states where you are allowed to lane split, can you do it between any lane? Do riders tend to use one "ghost lane" more than another? Over here its the outside lanes.
Means that cagers are more likely to look for you there.

·
Registered
540 Posts
90% of your riding is lane splitting? Somethin' wrong there..

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Sounds like you got off lightly. Could have been soo much worse.

So in states where you are allowed to lane split, can you do it between any lane? Do riders tend to use one "ghost lane" more than another? Over here its the outside lanes.
Means that cagers are more likely to look for you there.
i usually split between lanes 1 and 2 (counting from left to right). if traffic is moving especially slowly, i may between 2 and 3 as well, and very rarely between 3 and 4. again, tho, never in the carpool lane(s). i have found myself splitting at up to 50 mph, too.

splitting is akin to riding on the dividing line. i tend to lane-change "creatively" - moving into smaller-than-car spaces - rather than clinging to the white stripes.

·
Registered
109 Posts
9K miles is really not a lot for commuting in a year. And I don't think he literally measured distances he's been splitting.

OP - You caught up with your luck. I came to a realization pretty soon and only split when traffic's on a standstill or barely moving. Then too I move very slowly.

See this - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PopcGzHUWmA

·
Registered
315 Posts
Check your hand to make sure it's not a serious injury. I find that many people get the minimum insurance required, so medical bills end up being more than the payout of the "at fault"'s insurance policy.

If you think it's going to cost more than $800, get the insurance company involved.

·
Registered
540 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Alright alright, you guys caught me. I actually split around 6-7k, just feels like more lately since I just graduated and finally working full time at my job which is 125 mile round trip (I've been working there before I got the bike and full time when ever school is out). I split like half of the way there and like three quarters of the way back.

This is kind of what happened except the guy tried to cross over when I was right next to him and I didn't fall

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GH8D2EqDZs

·
Registered
87 Posts
Without a witness, and without his admission of guilt in writing, the best you can hope for is that he pays for the puck and the doc. If you get the insurance companies involved you will probably have to file a police report, etc and then they will probably do your word against his.

You are very lucky. You have been given another day to ride.
+1

there is really not much you can do but hope he pays now. Maybe ask him to help with co-pay.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
I don't really understand what was happening when this accident occurred but it sounds like the OP has no case.
If you are passing cars while you're going well over the recommended 5 mph faster than the cars, and passing the cars in the carpool lane means passing on the right... Did you touch the double (or triple) yellow lines?

I think just be happy you weren't road kill. Most insurance policies won't pay until your personal insurance has maxed out anyway. Ask the driver to pay for your bike's repairs and keep your fingers crossed.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts