RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
You expecting the apocalypse anytime soon? I'm curious as to why people think that gold will be a good thing to have if modern society should collapse. Gold won't fill your stomach, keep you warm, or load your gun. And if I had all those things, I wouldn't want a shiny chunk of metal for trade.

·
Premium Member
6,456 Posts
The market seems a bit high right now to me, but I am not a trader so I dunno. I see a lot of places advertise, but I am not sure who I'd trust.

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
You expecting the apocalypse anytime soon? I'm curious as to why people think that gold will be a good thing to have if modern society should collapse. Gold won't fill your stomach, keep you warm, or load your gun. And if I had all those things, I wouldn't want a shiny chunk of metal for trade.
It has nothing to do with collapse of society, it has to do with a wise investing strategy which you don't seem to know about. Its about diversification of your assets and putting some of your funds in commodities.

Personally gold is way too high to consider purchasing anytime soon. When the economy more fully recovers gold should go down and then I'd buy. You'd get a marginal return right now and then when the economy recovers people will be selling like crazy and you'll lose a ton unless you have perfect timing.

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
Gold is a good hedge. And while it may not fill your stomach, fire out of your firearms and so on....

A gold ingot, depending on size, is heavy to really heavy weightwise. You can hit someone with it. People want it, will want it and have wanted it for thousands of years. They will do just about anything for it, including trading you their frist born. If civilization does crash, people want tangibles, gold was and will be that. And you can literally shave or cut off pieces, sell/trade/barter with it for something such as a firearm and ammo....then shoot the guy you traded with, take back your gold and repeat with the next fool.

As for where to get it...I believe that federal law stipulates you can only own so much gold privately. I'd suggest gold coins. Try krugerrands or British gold sovereigns, coin shops. Do your homework on them first, serious homework.

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
It has nothing to do with collapse of society, it has to do with a wise investing strategy which you don't seem to know about. Its about diversification of your assets and putting some of your funds in commodities.

Personally gold is way too high to consider purchasing anytime soon. When the economy more fully recovers gold should go down and then I'd buy. You'd get a marginal return right now and then when the economy recovers people will be selling like crazy and you'll lose a ton unless you have perfect timing.
Well I'm sure I would know about it if I had any fundage to invest... I've got an IRA, but haven't contributed to it since the economy tanked. Living paycheck to paycheck sucks, but I'm treading water until I can reach the bottom again!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts