RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FYI for those selling their bikes.....

I have found 2 '01 7S's brand new in the Chicago area. Both listed at $4800. I called both of the dealers and they said they aren't moving them so that price is out the door (includes destination, prep, etc)...So if you add on tax, title and license, your staying under $5500. Brand new, full warranty. With these prices, those selling on their own may want to rethink their asking prices.

·
Gold Member/Community Dad
5,742 Posts
Ethan,

I'm curious. Were they actively advertising @ that price or you just happened to call and ask? These dealers in the Atlanta area just won't budge, even on a leftover 01' I saw yesterday. Maybe I have the wrong approach to these sales people.

The most any would come down on an 02 was about 400 overall and the only dealer I found with an 01 (so far) wasn't willing to come down more than $300 - maybe they have room to store them a while!

The same dealer had a used 00 with 5800 miles, a tiny backrest looking thing and and little luggage rack and a D&D slipon. Didn't see a scratch on it either. Could use some tires in the next 1000-2000 miles. He wanted $3800 USD (about 4075 out the door). That deal was looking a lot better than any similar 00 private party bikes I've seen around Atlanta lately.

·
Wheelie for Safety
1,550 Posts
Hi Berto,

The prices will vary a great deal depending where you live. For example, I paid $6,500 OTD for mine 4 months ago. The dealer will charge what the market will bear.

In the SF Bay Area everything is expensive. Also we can ride almost year round. So the price will be more.

Andy

·
THE JUDGE
711 Posts
Yeah, that's why it's really not quite appropriate for someone to say that someone else across the country is charging too much or too little. My husband got his ZRX1200 for $7000 OTD and the listed price on those is $7999, so he got a good deal, but someone else maybe in CA might have to pay close to list....plus, our dealer is really good about giving us a break on freight, and the extra little stuff that can kill ya in the deal.

Of course, then he went and spent $900 the same night on after market stuff to make it more "his". I figure since he doesn't smoke, that can be his cigarette money! :) hehe....

Anyway....back on point.....my ZR7s sold for $4200 and it's a 2001 with 7000 miles in perfect condition. We just can't get much for bikes right now in Texas....(at least in Austin...even from city to city it's different).

·
Gold Member/Community Dad
5,742 Posts
Anyone,

I'm supposed to look at a private party low miles '01 tommorrow. The guy has it financed through his Credit Union. In my 30 various vehicles over the years I never attempted this type of transaction - has anyone out here gone through with this type deal and what should I look out for or attempt to do. Pretty sure the C.U. wouldn't be open on Saturday so I'd be hesitant to tie up any money on it this weekend. Period.

I asked him to check with his C.U. to verify what needs to happen. And hope to get some good advice here! Thanks.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Berto,

Andy is right, it depends on what the market will bear and your area. In the Chicago area there are two main factors (1) Wisconsin is next door so cruisers generally prevail and (2) most dealers here stock snowmobiles and atv's during the winter and are very agreeable to lower prices on past year cycles that are taking up floor space.

Many dealers will actually ship a bike anywhere in the country for $500-$700. You may find you can buy and have one shipped out of some other place in the country and still pay less than what you will locally.

Yes, they advertised at that price, and I called them also, I didn't try any haggling.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ZR7Chic (ZRXChic)

I am not saying someone is charging too much or too little. What I am saying is that many people are looking for the best deal, and more often these days, that better deal is quite a few miles away.

Take a look at CarMax. One of there main reasons for success is that they have a national database of vehicles. You can (I know people that have) bought a used car out of other parts of the country and had it shipped here by CarMax and still got it cheaper than a local price. I think their Max price for shipping, coast to coast is only $800.

I try to be thrifty, and if I can save even $200-$300 bucks waiting a few weeks for something to arrive form somewhere else in the country, then I am all for it. That few hundred can by me aftermarket stuff or diapers for my girls.

Just my thoughts

1 - 7 of 7 Posts