RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My chain finally had got to the point where the shop guys said it should be replaced. I'd been finding the occasional o-ring inside my front sprocket cover...
No issues with the chain other than that, but it was time. The bike's stock chain lasted 7700 miles and the last one managed to go for almost 12,000 miles. Not sure of the brand, but it was a nice gold color.

I've always wanted to try to lower the rpms on my bike, as I do a lot of freeway riding, so I got new sprockets with the new chain. I went for the stock 15 in front and 44 in the rear. I had the shop save my old sprockets, which were in fair shape, just in case I didn't like the feeling.

I have to tell you, by the time I got home I knew I wouldn't be switching back to the stock 15/46 sprockets! The bike seems so much smoother now and I can go longer in the lower gears. I don't have to immediately shift up from 1st and 2nd, and cruising down the streets in 3rd is just fine, where before I would constantly be high revving in 3rd or low revving in 4th.

It has slowed the bike down a bit, because the ratio is different. If I were to have done a test, going from 60-80 in 6th gear, I know the old sprockets would have done it quicker, but just fractionally. There's certainly enough power in this bike to handle it. The change is not dramatically different.

In fact, as soon as I got on the freeway, I still tried to shift into 7th speed!
But on the street the bike just seems much more pleasant.
Thanks to all who have posted their experiences with changing the # of teeth on their bikes. It helped with my decision.

I'll be testing my mph with my GPS tonight and I'll see how far off the digital speedo is. It used to read about 1-2 mph higher than what the roadside radars would say when going about 50 mph.
Then it's time for another trip up to Santa Ynez for the night. Keeping my fingers crossed for an improvement in my mpg too!

·
Registered
10,327 Posts
Doesn't that change the odometer reading?
Yes it does.

Green Rocket,
Did you get a high tensile strength chain to go along with your sprocket change. For cruising like you want to do a high tensile strength chain will last many more miles than a pretty one, or a light one. Especially important if you have to pay a shop to change the chain.
Also, now you have to change your name to "Green MPG and smooth riding" to go along with your new found riding style. ;)

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
I'll be testing my mph with my GPS tonight and I'll see how far off the digital speedo is. It used to read about 1-2 mph higher than what the roadside radars would say when going about 50 mph.
those things are inaccurate in my humble opinion. on one particular hwy i often ride i pass two. without changing my own speed, they read differently.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
no, the ones out here in Malibu are very accurate, Steve. You know... cause it's Malibu!
I verify that all the time when I'm in my car going surfing, heading out there with the cruise control on.

The chain I got is heavy duty, not cheap at all. But the difference is not all that drastic enough for me to change my handle.

One thing I noticed today, when taking my usual way home from work, was that there seems to be slightly less engine braking. Does that make sense?

I didn't get a good reading with my portable GPS this morning, as it kept sliding around inside the clear map pocket of my tank bag. But it didn't seem too different from the previous speeds.
Is there a good app for an Android phone that shows MPH? Do any of the stock maps do that? I've never used my Galaxy S5 on the bike, but with the right apps I might install a case and a mount.

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
I have Racechrono on the S4 and that has MPH and is as accurate as my truck and GPS. There are other applications meant for MPH though. Racechrono is really meant for the track so will have junk you may not care about.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts