RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i said to heck with it and ordered a 195/45/17 car tire to put on my 2008 meanstreak should get it next week and will try to take some pics and post them of the before and after shots =-=- has a flat tire now so i will have to check the files for older pics and i am stock except for a homeade plate mod so it should work and if it dont it will work before i am done =-= hehe =--=

by the way i am ok with the possibilty of handling changing my motto in life is =-=- form before funtion

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
:righton:

Lemme know how it goes! I'm planning the same for the spring. :smokin:

·
Registered
724 Posts
What benefit do you expect to see from this over a bike tire?

Jon

·
Registered
376 Posts
I'm gonna darkside with a set of snow tires so I can ride all winter :)
I have always thought ill of the 'Dark Side', but that is awesome!! a nice set of blizaks!!

I can only imagine the howl they will give on the freeway.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
to be honest like i said form over function i like the way it looks on the ones i have seen and having just had a 3000 mile tire dumped because you cant repair a motorcycle tire and that tire was half gone at that extended tire life will be nice as well ,,,, but once again i am more about the looks

as soon as i do this i will look into lowering the rear ----

oh and gig i mention the tire was half the price of a good 190 m/c tire

·
Registered
217 Posts
Interesting , please post pictures once the project is finish.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
What benefit do you expect to see from this over a bike tire?

Jon
Except the mentioned looks, I can add the real benefit with a CT: economy, economy and some additional economy. :glassesti
The CT is half the price and will last 3-6 times longer. You do the math... :swink:

·
Registered
780 Posts
a couple questions

1. Do you need to modify anything in the rear of the bike to accommodate the tire?

2. What tire style do you use ? Just a plain all season or do you get the rice boy tires that all the 20 somethings have on their civics

3. How much of a handling decrease can you expect?

4. Anyone have any pictures of this mod already done?

·
Registered
975 Posts
a couple questions

1. Do you need to modify anything in the rear of the bike to accommodate the tire?

2. What tire style do you use ? Just a plain all season or do you get the rice boy tires that all the 20 somethings have on their civics

3. How much of a handling decrease can you expect?

4. Anyone have any pictures of this mod already done?

1. Not if you get the correct size.

2. With other bikes I see them use all seasons usually, as you'll see below, specialK used a Yokohoma S.Drive which is more on the performance end.

3. I haven't tried yet, so cant answer. But specialK says: Corners just fine. Can't really tell it's a car tire.

4. See below.

Nope. I have the S.Drive 195/40R17 on mine. Fits with no mods.
$79

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
regnaston, I haven't tried CT myself, but I have read a lot about guys that have.
With the 195 tire no mods are needed (but the low aspect is adding more error to the already existing speedo error), but with a 205 you need to carve some in the swing (or in the plates on the inside of the swing).

You can read about the mod and also about handling here (it's a meanie with a 205):
http://www.kawasakimotorcycle.org/forum/kawasaki-cruisers/112251-meanstreak-darkside.html

And here's a text in general about CT and handling:
http://lifeisaroad.com/stories/2004/10/27/theDarkSide.html

·
Registered
780 Posts
Thanks guys...

since I am in the market for two new tires, I may try this option...

How badly does it kick out the speedo? And does the speedo record a lower speed that you are actually driving or a higher speed?

·
Registered
780 Posts
last question...

With the mounting of the tire on the rim, is there a specific way for the tread

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Thanks guys...

since I am in the market for two new tires, I may try this option...

How badly does it kick out the speedo? And does the speedo record a lower speed that you are actually driving or a higher speed?
The speedo as stock usually shows around +10% of real speed. The 195/45 tire (as far as i Know there is no higher aspect on 195's) is another +5% on that according to: http://www.csgnetwork.com/tireinfo4calc.html

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
last question...

With the mounting of the tire on the rim, is there a specific way for the tread
As it is on a car?
Haven't heard any particular opinions in this matter.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Has anyone ridden a bike than has been darksided? I am very curious what the handling is like without the rounded tire sides. Seems like it will go up on the edge of the tire and perhaps be unstable.

Jon

·
Registered
228 Posts
Has anyone ridden a bike than has been darksided? I am very curious what the handling is like without the rounded tire sides. Seems like it will go up on the edge of the tire and perhaps be unstable.
um... did you not read through the thread before posting this? :nono:

You can read about the mod and also about handling here (it's a meanie with a 205):
http://www.kawasakimotorcycle.org/forum/kawasaki-cruisers/112251-meanstreak-darkside.html

And here's a text in general about CT and handling:
http://lifeisaroad.com/stories/2004/10/27/theDarkSide.html

·
Registered
780 Posts
I have been calling around in Toronto and it seems that the 195 40 17 tire size is not really common.. Yokohama Canada does not even carry the Sdrive in that size (US Site does).

The only tire I have been able to find so far is the Continental Sport Contact III (I will have to research that tire)

1 - 20 of 52 Posts