RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone out there have a Givi rack (not the Givi monorack arm system) for panniers and top box fitted to their bike? Givi don't make them any more for the ZR-7, and I've just managed to buy one from ebay. Unfortunately there are no bolts that came with it (or instructions) and it looks like it mounts to the bottom of the rear foot peg mounting brackets. If you have one of these could you take a picture or two of how it mounts? I think I may have to get a bolt made up to replace the pin and circlip that currently hold the footpeg in place. If you know any different then please let me know!

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Did you buy the Givi-branded rack or the Kawasaki-branded (but made by Givi) rack? They're different and mount differently. I have the Givi-branded racks for a 3-case set-up on mine, although I usually don't have the top-case portion installed. I can shot specific pics of what you need if you have the same rack.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Doug. Thanks for the reply. Mine are givi branded. I'm quite surprised that they produced two different racks for the same pyrpose given the shirt timeframe they were available for. Do yours not mount to the bottom of the rear footpegs at all then? thats the tricky bit for me as it means I have to get a couple of bolts made up to fit.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Hi Doug. Thanks for the reply. Mine are givi branded. I'm quite surprised that they produced two different racks for the same pyrpose given the shirt timeframe they were available for. Do yours not mount to the bottom of the rear footpegs at all then? thats the tricky bit for me as it means I have to get a couple of bolts made up to fit.
Kawasaki sold one version as an OE option as a set that included Givi side cases with Kawi labels. The other version is strictly a Givi aftermarket product. The Kawasaki system included an integral tubular rear luggage rack; the Givi system required purchasing a separate top case mount plate and "wings" that tie the mount plate to the side racks, unless one just wanted the side cases. A little secret is Kawi never mentioned is that its tubular luggage rack has pre-drilled holes (plugged as new) for Givi "buttons" and the latch-thingie, allowing one to to mount a Givi top case simply by purchasing those mounting pieces from Givi. I'm at work now, I'll need to check the bike at home for mounting questions. I installed mine way back in 2004 so I don't recall exactly, but the original bolts may be long enough to use; I don't recall off-hand that Givi supplied new bolts for the lower mount points.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
OK, here ya go. Both lower mounts use the footpeg pivot bolt, nut and washer. Like I said, it's been so long I don't recall if Givi supplied longer bolts or if I used the stockers. If you can't use the stock bolts, it should be easy to source slightly longer ones.

This is the right-side. The rack mounts just forward of the muffler mount.
IMG_2430-XL.jpg

This is the left side; much easier to see.
IMG_2434-XL.jpg

Let me know if you need any further pics.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hey guys, sorry for butting in, but I am looking for panniers myself for the ZR as well. If not much trouble would you be able to let me know which specific set you have been using and works well with the kawa? thanks

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
ive got 3..all self made..couple other guys here have home made ones...the givi's seen abouve are pretty well made of unobtanium

·
Registered
5,189 Posts
ive got 3..all self made..couple other guys here have home made ones...the givi's seen abouve are pretty well made of unobtanium
But Kawazee is across the pond, so he might be able to find 'em easier. I'd say if you can find a set, givi or kawai, get them. The main difference I see is just the way they mount.

·
Registered
45 Posts
But Kawazee is across the pond, so he might be able to find 'em easier. I'd say if you can find a set, givi or kawai, get them. The main difference I see is just the way they mount.
well, maybe not so. Don't think for a second that selection here is so great. In contrary. My problem is that I do not know what series of Givi set to look for. There is no info on the Givi website and the Kawa dealer I called knows s***t about it. Thought the ZR7 was factory prepped for panniers. I think

·
Registered
5,189 Posts
well, maybe not so. Don't think for a second that selection here is so great. In contrary. My problem is that I do not know what series of Givi set to look for. There is no info on the Givi website and the Kawa dealer I called knows s***t about it. Thought the ZR7 was factory prepped for panniers. I think
Yes, there are mounting points on the rear. As for finding info, I've been able to google quite a bit. It just takes digging.

Maybe like this? http://www.motorbikesandparts.co.uk/hepco-becker-black-pannier-rack-kawasaki-zr7-or-s.html says it's 166 pounds.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
we are indeed prepped for them as there are bosses welded to both the rear hoops at the back and up neer the rear rests..we have the mounting points

·
Registered
5,189 Posts
we are indeed prepped for them as there are bosses welded to both the rear hoops at the back and up neer the rear rests..we have the mounting points
If no one hacked them off his bike.

·
Registered
5,189 Posts
Holy Mother of..that costs more than the whole bike. Thaks, I was thinking of the Givi ones though...
Think the site had Givi's, but only the top box and not the panniers. Price was cheaper too, in the 60 pound range I think.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Givi no longer make the pannier rack for the zr-7. The only one ive seen on ebay is thene I bought (see above) which is now stripped of old powder coating and covered in red oxide paint ready for painting and mounting. They still do monorack arms for a too box (which i have and may sell. only a year old, but now I have the full rack I have no need for it. I've got a kappa (same manufacturer as givi, but slightly cheaper branding) 48l top box and have givi e21 panniers. Will get three new locks for them so can use the same key on all. Are you in the uk kawazee?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Givi no longer make the pannier rack for the zr-7. The only one ive seen on ebay is thene I bought (see above) which is now stripped of old powder coating and covered in red oxide paint ready for painting and mounting. They still do monorack arms for a too box (which i have and may sell. only a year old, but now I have the full rack I have no need for it. I've got a kappa (same manufacturer as givi, but slightly cheaper branding) 48l top box and have givi e21 panniers. Will get three new locks for them so can use the same key on all. Are you in the uk kawazee?
I figured that is the case, all it brings up is a 36L reference? Kappa huh? Good info something I learned just now. Yeah, I'd like to get the full rack as well, two panniers and top box for touring, that is why I've asked about it. Indeed, currently in England SE.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
You can always make your own rack mounting system if you are handy and willing to invest the time
EXACTLY...and then you can make it to YOUR specs to do what YOU want it to do....i started with making a flat rack..2 or 3 of them before i got exactly what i wanted..then someone on here had a set of bags that i grabbed and made a new rack based on them...i use em for storage and quick runs ...my bc runs i toss my duffle bag on top and strap it down

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
EXACTLY...and then you can make it to YOUR specs to do what YOU want it to do....i started with making a flat rack..2 or 3 of them before i got exactly what i wanted..then someone on here had a set of bags that i grabbed and made a new rack based on them...i use em for storage and quick runs ...my bc runs i toss my duffle bag on top and strap it down
I wonder how difficult it would be to create a rack that uses the round steel tubes similar to the type that Givi uses. Almost all the DIY racks I've seen use square large tubing which are kinda ugly

1 - 20 of 53 Posts