RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'll be getting a little extra cash very soon and I'm thinkin' 'bout throwin' it at the bike. I was thinking about the radiator shroud with the chin and the chome screen. Does anyone have this? I know I can get a can of '02 factory paint but I forget where - lil help? Anyone know how hard it is to paint and install these peices? Thanks. :alcy:

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
www.colorrite.com

Painting isn't that hard but I wasn't impressed with the paint match quality of the colorrite products when I touched up my frame. Maybe since your bike has a clearcoat you'll have better luck.

Check out the duplicolor website, they have a lot of how-to videos and info. A sample of it below:
* Always read specific can instructions to achieve maximum results.
* A clean, dry surface is important. Follow these preparation tips for best results: Remove dirt, wax, grease, rust and loose paint. Sand or scrape, if necessary. Sand rusted, glossy or hard surfaces to improve adhesion.
* Paint in good weather only. 55° to 75° F is ideal; 40 to 60% relative humidity is recommended. Avoid direct sunlight and hot, humid weather.
* Observe the proper re-coat opportunities. Read the products directions for suggestions on when to apply a second coat. Example: Dupli-Color® lacquers can be re-coated anytime. Dupli-Color® enamels re-coat within 1 hour or wait till after 5 days.
* Test a small surface area for paint compatibility.
* A smooth, even application is important. Use an even, side-to-side motion with each pass beginning and ending beyond the edge of the object. Use a fan spray vs. regular spray distance to the object.
* Take your time. Use 3 light coats vs. one thick coat. Always check recommended recoat time.
* Avoid over spraying. Mask exposed areas with drop cloths. Clean up with appropriate cleaner-paint thinner or soap and water.
* Ensure adequate ventilation.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
www.colorrite.com

Painting isn't that hard but I wasn't impressed with the paint match quality of the colorrite products when I touched up my frame. Maybe since your bike has a clearcoat you'll have better luck.

Check out the duplicolor website, they have a lot of how-to videos and info. A sample of it below:
* Always read specific can instructions to achieve maximum results.
* A clean, dry surface is important. Follow these preparation tips for best results: Remove dirt, wax, grease, rust and loose paint. Sand or scrape, if necessary. Sand rusted, glossy or hard surfaces to improve adhesion.
* Paint in good weather only. 55° to 75° F is ideal; 40 to 60% relative humidity is recommended. Avoid direct sunlight and hot, humid weather.
* Observe the proper re-coat opportunities. Read the products directions for suggestions on when to apply a second coat. Example: Dupli-Color® lacquers can be re-coated anytime. Dupli-Color® enamels re-coat within 1 hour or wait till after 5 days.
* Test a small surface area for paint compatibility.
* A smooth, even application is important. Use an even, side-to-side motion with each pass beginning and ending beyond the edge of the object. Use a fan spray vs. regular spray distance to the object.
* Take your time. Use 3 light coats vs. one thick coat. Always check recommended recoat time.
* Avoid over spraying. Mask exposed areas with drop cloths. Clean up with appropriate cleaner-paint thinner or soap and water.
* Ensure adequate ventilation.
I think the red on our se bikes must be the hardest color in the world to match!!

I used the colorite vulcan metallic blue for my dads saddle bags on his classic and it was really close (probablly could of been better but he cheaped out and wouldnt buy their clear coat)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts