RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i have a gen 1 z1000 2003 with the flywheel mod..ie 50% lighter....goes gr8.....i was wondering if anybody here has tried same on gen 3 engine......they look very much the same/very similar

look forward to replys ...merry xmiss?

·
Registered
8,695 Posts
I know of at least 2 of us who did this on the 3rd and 4th gen ninja 1000's. It's a great mod. I bought a spare flywheel to modify. The thought being I could always switch it back, if needed. That was 2000 miles ago, and theres no way I'll switch it back. Heres the thread with details....I think we ended up measuring the difference as -6oz, not 10oz, but whatever..it will still rip your arms off.

I'm not sure I would do this with a stock ecu. You'll want to have Ivan flash the bike before you reduce flywheel weight. The stock fuel map sucks, especially at low rpm.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Had my friend loose about 45 % off o/s diameter off mine on his lathe..combined with quick throttle mod the bike rolls on sweet as
.many say the stock fueling sucks but mine is fine...i also have decat chinese pipe with sp engineering cans(always with inserts in)....NOISE is not always faster
blocked kleen system
bike not had ecu flashed but would be lean without inserts in..you have been warned

·
Registered
8,695 Posts
Tnarg, you lightened your flywheel and have not had an ecu reflash? I wasnt sure how well this wuld work with stock fueling. No issues?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi works fine...just under50% lighter....it actually helps roll on throttle as i decatted bike and have sp cans but always keep the db killers in ...i see you have pipe mods...have you had ecu flash...i look at a lot of forumz/chats and its is pretty good if you don,t open up too much as the bike will alter it so much via o2 sensor ..this may take 500miles .i have no glitchy throttle also i do no have a pc ...another mod i done was fit the inner clutch from versys1000 as its the slipper one and its as perfect swap and is super smooth

·
Registered
8,695 Posts
Yes, I have Ivan's reflash. I've had that since @2011. This flywheel thing was something I wanted to do, just for fun. He does the 11-13 ninja/z 1000 as well as the 14-16 machines.

The flash is amazing. I was shocked at how much better the bike felt/handled with this light flywheel. I'm surprised . I expected the bike to rev faster, but this handling thing really shocked me.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I might get mine flashed but its not running lean and has no flat spots.i also done a +1 front sprocket which made taller gearing which was gr8 on longer runs this also was complimented by the lighter flywheel.....my friend has just got a zh2 ...a might get one of those next money willing .....but i will keep the(fake zed) as they,re known here.:D:D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts