RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone out there experienced this - sometimes the transmission shifts really slick and totally silently and occasionally a change will be accompanied by a clunk. Is it normal for bike gearboxes to occasionally make a bit of a clacking or clunking noise or sometimes a sort of "snicking" noise when changing.

My dealer said he had received similar complaints of noisiness on changes and did something to the selector mechanism which made it better but still sometimes changes are audible although if a bit of noise is normal I'll stop worrying about it and just enjoy the ride.

Thanks for any thoughts you may have.

·
West Coast Moderator
12,996 Posts
Hey Glenn, I see you're riding a '99. I was reading some posts over on motorcyclenews.com and seen where some folks were experiencing something similar. But being on the site only once I didn't take the time to learn to navigate the site and didn't see everything on it. One thing that was touched on was cleaning and lubricating the linkage, but that may only solve the sticky linkage. If the dealer is getting complaints, hopefully it will turn into a warranty fix and they'll foot the bill.

·
The Commander
5,020 Posts
Glenn -
Lots of people have commented on the "noisy" transmission on the ZR-7. It does do a fair bit of "clunking" and "clanging" from time to time under certain conditions, but it seems to be a very solid transmission overall. Unless what you're experiencing is unusual, I doubt if it's anything to worry about. I can't think of a single person who's posted that they have actually had anything go wrong with the transmission which required repairs.

·
Wheelie for Safety
1,550 Posts
Hi Glenn,

The transmission can be clunky at times. However most of the time it shifts very quietly. Most likely you have nothing to worry about.

Regarding lubricating the shift mechanism, I have noticed on a friends ZR-7 which has 9K on it, that the post the shift lever pivots on was very sloppy. So I took mine apart (I have 1,500 miles on mine) and noticed it completly dry. The factory does not bother to lube it up very well.

I would suggest to everyone to take a minute and lube their shift lever post.

Andy

1 - 4 of 4 Posts