RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Following my original post on gear shifting problems I have done a couple of things which have improved the shift action to the point where it is no longer an issue for me.
First.
The cover on the side of the transmission (over the front sprocket) is not just for decoration, it actually supports the outer end of the gear change shaft. There seems to be little grease applied at this point even though the factory workshop manual specifies grease to be applied here.
When I took the cover off I also noticed paint overspray in the bore that the shaft runs in. It seems that insufficient lubrication combined with the paint could cause some binding on the shaft.
I used some wet and dry paper to clean up the bore and reassembled the cover on the shaft with a good dose of moly grease.

Second. This is a bit difficult to describe without a picture but there is a good diagram and instructions in the workshop manual.
The angle between the link rod on the shift lever and the short arm on the gear shift shaft should be 90 deg. Mine was out and I had to move the arm on the splines of the shaft to get the correct angle. If you do this you have to adjust the length of the link rod to bring the foot pedal back to it's correct position relative to the foot peg. Be aware that the locknut on one end of the shaft is regular thread (RH) and the other end is reverse (LH)
This angle seems to be important as it dictates the amount of force and length of throw applied to the rotation of the shaft relative to the movement of the foot lever.
As someone else noted also grease the pivot bolt at the foot lever while you are at it as grease seems to be a scarse commodity at the Big K.

These couple of items made a huge difference in the feel of the gear shift action - a lot slicker and generally quieter. Good luck.

·
Wheelie for Safety
1,550 Posts
Hi Glenn,

Glad to hear your gear shifting problem is resolved.

I greased my shift lever pivot a few days ago and took it out for a ride today. What a difference a little grease makes.

I'm going to do what you suggest and remove the side cover so I can grease the shaft as well.

Thanks for the feedback.

Happy riding.

Andy

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Andy
I think you will find the job worth doing. When you take the cover off there are two dowels that locate the cover the rear one could fall from the cover and be lost, keep a watch out for it.
Good luck, safe riding.
Glenn.

·
Wheelie for Safety
1,550 Posts
Hi Glenn,

That sure was easy, just four bolts. It was completely dry in there.
I only noticed one dowel. Thanks for the warning. :)

Andy

·
Registered
706 Posts
Pictures..?

Best regards Team:

Please. Can anyone post some pictures related to the procedures mentioned above? or the exact part name to look for at the "Parts Diagrams" web site? Thanks.

·
Registered
706 Posts
My web site

Thanks Andy. I'm glad you enjoyed! The site is always under construction. I updated some pages like two nights ago but I still need to update some links, also I'm planning some links related to my home town (Mexico City). Did you click the purple Hipopotamus? Enjoy.! :D

Itztli

1 - 10 of 10 Posts