RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys
I live in Australia and am a newbie to this forum. About three weeks ago I switched from a 2005 GSXR1000 to a shiny new black 2010 Z1000, as a partner to my 2008 Busa. I have just clocked up my first 500 km and have loved every second of it, poor Busa!
I am keen to carry out a few minor mods, mainly of a cosmetic nature to broaden my smile, if that is at all possible.
Levers have already been replaced from http://www.rideitmoto.com and they look and feel fantastic. Other mods will be taillight/indicator combo, customised fender eliminator, bar-end mirrors, radiator screen, saddle mod and a customised pillion seat box.
I am also very interested in a gear indicator and was wondering if anyone here has fitted or researched options about this add-on and where it could be seamlessly fitted. All input welcome.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Welcome to the family. Glad you like the bike. Sounds like you are planning a lot of the same mods most everyone does upon getting a Z. Keep us updated with pics.

Oh, might as well put a for sale add out for the Busa.

·
Registered
33 Posts
You can try the Healtech GIPro, can be found in the link below, there should be a dealer in Australia.

http://www.healtech-electronics.com/

Been using it on a few bikes already and found no complaints about the product. Gear Display changes quite fast but you need to release the clutch before it changes. Good things is, its Plug and Play, just plug it into the ECU and ride, that simple.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys...
Well today my new my bar-end mirrors arrived from (ebay) http://stores.ebay.com.au/carpluz delivered to my door for around $100 au and I rushed to fit them... BUT... and there's always a but...

Firstly, after careful examination of all the photo-documentation that I could find on them, I decided to purchase the cheaper variety as with the levers, instead of paying around $180 au for the more expensive ones (which looked identical) listed by another ebay shop... and let me just say that just as I expected the ones I bought are excellent quality and look fantastic.. and now for the BUT...

The bar ends on the bike are mounted on a rubber bush and therefore not rigid, one would think that the mirrors will vibrate like hell and will be unusable under riding conditions. I ran out of time to complete the job so I haven’t yet tested them on the road, but I am concerned and will test them tomorrow. If my fears are realised then the most obvious theoretical solution would be to get some solid bar ends but will that prevent the mirrors from magnifying the inherent extremity vibration? Does anyone have the answer? :help:

Anyway the next step was to remove and plug off the existing ugly-as-sin OEM mirrors. Believe it or not I could not undo the mirrors they are so tightly screwed down (probably with locktite) that I was afraid that I might crack the housing they are screwed into. So I thought I better leave that job for now. The final problem is that I still haven’t been able to locate a suitable plug for the old mirrors (if I ever get them out). I noticed a black dome nut in a photo somewhere on the net but there was no link to discover the source, so again ... does anyone know of a suitable plugging device? :help: (now now no rude comments please)....... :eek: I'll be back............

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hiya and welcome.

You will need new bar-ends, I tried the standard rubber mounts and its a waste of time - no visibility at all. I got some bar-ends off E-Bay but then had to get them turned down to fit the mirrors over. Its all fun.
Those mirror plugs above are the same ones I used and the work great.

Good luck

·
Registered
22 Posts
The Healtech GIPro works fine, been using it on my ride for the past 3 months...no problems and it's plug and play...

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thank you guys i'm following through on all your inputs and have already made contact with spengineeringltd about the mirror blanking plugs and they have them in stock.. as far as the gear indicator is concerned i'm keen to know where it can be mounted so it doesn't look like an unwanted pimple, anyone got photos ?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks robhor for taking the time to post the photo but unfortunately it is not clear enough to provide any real detail of your installation

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi laci, some 3M double sided tape and the dispaly sticks real strong to the speedo...

·
Registered
22 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
hi guys
thanks for the input... still haven't come to terms with the installation of the gear indicator, i'm extremely fussy about integration so the jury remains out on this detail for now... i have plenty of other things i want to change on the bike which are perplexing me... mirrors, tail tidy, integrated tail light, indicators, saddle, cowl and mini luggage box.... but in the meantime i'm loving the bike more and more each day, poor busa hasn't been started since the z arrived... oh and can anyone tell me how i can keep the front wheel on the ground....:sweat:

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
live in caulfield near north rd, always happy to meet other riders, berwick is the gateway to many of the rides we often do with a few friends definitely have to meet up next time we head off in that direction, surely you must know some great rides up that way....

·
Registered
57 Posts
I installed my Gipro Gear Indicator under the windscreen mounting frame with the double sided tape.
For my body size it's perfect there, and invisible when the bike is turned off.
In my normal riding position a can look through the split between Speedo and wind shield.

I'll take a picture to show you the mounted GIpro next time.

That is my view when riding (@night :silly:):

·
Registered
131 Posts
I think these gear indicators are really cool and being an old fart have no idea how they work. Tell me were does the Gipro connect to get its information and power from, is it easy to connect… Basically how does it know what gear I am in??? :dunno::dunno:

·
Registered
78 Posts
Shake I've read up on these indicators-hope to have one soon. As far as install I believe its plug and play. On my CBR it plugs into a harness near the battery. I'm not sure with my Z but I can't imagine it is much different. I've read that once installed you place the bike in each gear and get the RPMs up to 3,000. At that point it is programmed and you move on to the next gear 1-6. Once complete the indicator is capable of reading gears as long as the clutch lever is not being pulled. According to their website some Kawi model have software installed that makes the indicator capable of reading gears with the clutch pulled but they did not indicate if the 2010 is one of them.

·
Registered
57 Posts
The GIpro is connected to the diagnose socket of the ECU, it's located under the passengers seat (1 wire, 4 strands, 2x2 organised). The GIpro is preprogrammed to your bikes gear setup, so it's plug'n'play (if you buy the model for your bike), otherwise you can program it manually (jmpk explained it already).

The basics: The ECU knows the engine rpm and the speed (front sprocket rpm) of your bike. The used gear is just a function over speed and rpm, so simply measure the 2 values and calculate them together. Then take a look in your gear ratio table and you know which gear you're in. It's that easy. The GIpro is doing that continuously and displays it.

For the GIpro the gear ratio table is already programmed, otherwise the indicator has to learn it, by giving a constant engine rpm and counting the sprocket rpm for all gears. That's the manual program mode.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts