RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just changed the oil on my ZR-7 and I cannot seem to stop a slow drip from somewhere. I am guessing it is coming off of the drain plug. I don't have an motorcycle parts shops in the immediate area to me. Unfortunately looking on line this little guy is only $0.43. I can't find dimensions on it, but is this a rather universal piece I can find at an auto parts store?

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
You may be able to pick up an oil drain plug crush washer at the local Autozone or Pep Boys.
I think the zr-7 oil drain bolt is a 12mm plug/bolt. The socket size is 17mm but the actual bolt size is 12mm.

Unfortunately, if you've already put in the new oil...

·
Johnny Blue Lightnin'
12,141 Posts
Its been a while since i sold my ZR but I thought it was a 14mm crush washer. If you have a dealer nearby they will have one. Otherwise get one from a local auto parts store. Maybe a couple different sizes if no one knows the size for sure.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Try CheapCycleParts.com - Cheap Cycle Parts and list your ride...then go to the microfiche and get the part number and order at least 2. They can only be used once. You'll also want to torque it to specs..seen too many torque these way too tight. My ZL calls for 16 foot pounds..which aint much. Hope this helps.
I normally order from cheapcycle parts. They charge about $10 shipping though on any order and at ~$.50 a piece I would need to order quite a few to make it worth it.

My nearest dealer is about 30 miles away so not exactly a quick afternoon run.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
30 miles sounds like a nice afternoon jaunt to me..........
Right. I do have an autozone and an O'Reiley's up the street though so that is why I was wondering if this is a "standard" sized part I could pickup at an auto store, or if it was some weird japanese only motorcycle part.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So this turned into an infuriating adventure. So I decided to go after work, out of my way to the Kawai dealer. Asked for a drain plug gasket for a 2000 ZR-7 and he handed me one saying it would be $1.50. Sort of expensive but whatever, I was on my way. Considered buying more than one as I walked out the door but it is a good thing I didn't. The gasket they sold me didn't fit!!!!!

Slightly pissed I decided to run over to O'Reiley's which was nearby and the guy pointed me to an M14 aluminum gasket. inner diameter is the same, the outer seems a bit more (~1mm) and it is slightly thicker. Hopefully this does it.

To top it all off I kicked my oil pan full of oil all over my garage.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
pretty much standard equipment regardless of make model..its a mattaer of size....back when i was working tires we had a shelving system full of various sized crush washers for those cars that came in dripping

·
Registered
114 Posts
I've used the same washer for the last three oil changes. My washer doesn't seem to "crush" as the name suggests. No leaks so I'm not complaining; but I do wonder if the "one time use" thing is to sell more parts or if it's a real thing....

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
its not a 1 time use...ive got cars still running there washers from the 50s and 60s...they do crush a lil but it takes a long time before it gets to the point of replace..useualy from idiots over tightening

1 - 11 of 11 Posts