RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had 2 other Kawasakis and always noticed a whistle/whine when the gas tank was venting. So far I've never heard this on my 2010 Z1000. Do any of you hear a whistle/whine with the tanks on your 2010 Z1000's?

Reason I'm asking is because my tank has developed rust in the area of the filler neck. I've never had a rust problem with any previous Kawasaki, so needless to say I'm not very happy. Since my tank isn't whistling/whining I'm wondering if it could have anything to do with the tank not sealing properly. If it's not sealing properly, could that be a reason for rust developing?

The dealer just attributed the rust in the tank to running E10 Premium, and said there was nothing they could do. Excuse me, the manual says the Z1000 is approved for E10 use. Besides, it's nearly impossible to find straight, unblended Premium in this state!

·
Registered
164 Posts
I haven't heard mine whistle yet, but I only have 125 miles on my bike. I do wonder if your filler neck area isn't sealed right, allowing moisture in. I do not see E10 causing rust. If it does, then mine will be rusting soon since I don't much want to pay 30-40c/gal more for the straight stuff.

Rob

·
Registered
321 Posts
E10 is blended with 10% ethanol;

“As a solvent, ethanol attacks both the metallic and rubber based fuels lines, and other fuel system components.
Ethanol also has an affinity to water that can result in corrosion of fuel tanks and fuel lines. Rust resulting from this corrosion can ultimately block the fuel supply rendering the engine inoperable. Water in the fuel system can also result in the engine hesitating and running roughly.”

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here's the official reply that I received from Kawasaki.

"Ethanol blended fuel has been a common feature of fuel in the U.S., we have not seen any fuel tank rust issues related to the use of this fuel. Any rust that developed in your tank would most likely be the result of fuel contamination or improper storage."

Fuel contamination: possibly, but I always get my gas at the same station and have never had a problem.

Storage: If a few days of sitting idle constitutes storage, then I'm guilty! LOL.

·
Registered
220 Posts
My 03 whistles. I notice it more on hot days, when the tank is less than 1/4 full. You can actually hear air "whoosh" into the tank, once you lift up the fuel cap. Not a big deal, but it's just one of those quirky things.

Bad news about the rust in the 2010's tank. I take a Q-tip and wipe out the tank's neck area when I do a good cleaning. Get a little road dust, etc... in there, but nothing a quick swab won't clean up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts