RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Time to flush/change the coolant.

I have the shop manual and it seems to make an awful lot out of removing the tank.

Anyone got a couple three four step method they'd like to share?

Jon

·
Registered
227 Posts
If you make sure that the tank is almost empty it's really a piece of cake. Just follow the manual and take care to not scuff it up. Only thing I can think of that might help is a 2x4 to wedge under the tank as you un-hook the fuel lines. But, I've had mine off 3 times now with little problem.

·
Registered
975 Posts
It does sound daunting, but after watching ecoli take his off and reinstall, its really no big deal.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you make sure that the tank is almost empty it's really a piece of cake. Just follow the manual and take care to not scuff it up. Only thing I can think of that might help is a 2x4 to wedge under the tank as you un-hook the fuel lines. But, I've had mine off 3 times now with little problem.
I'm sure there's less than a gallon in there now so probably a good time for the task. My concern with the shop manual instructions is all the fuel lines they talk about. On my 750, I can pull the tank in 5 minutes and not a drop of fuel comes out as the petcock needs vacuum to flow. Same kind of deal on the Meanie?

Jon

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
You won't loose more than a couple drops. Its a bit of a pain trying to pinch the little clamps on the fuel line but its just a few bolts, disconnect a couple hoses, lift off. I always put a towel on the handlebars to ensure I don't ding the tank on them while lifting it off.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You won't loose more than a couple drops. Its a bit of a pain trying to pinch the little clamps on the fuel line but its just a few bolts, disconnect a couple hoses, lift off. I always put a towel on the handlebars to ensure I don't ding the tank on them while lifting it off.
This is some good advice, thanks!

Jon

·
Registered
861 Posts
The most difficult part of the whole antifreeze change part is actually the tank removal. As Streak07 indicated, it's fairly simple just a slower process so you don't damage or scratch it.

·
Registered
9,019 Posts
did not remove my tank at all. I just slid it back far enough to get to the filler cap, that way I could run the engine and purge it with out any problems. I use water wetter and water with no coolant. this works great and the bike runs a lot cooler.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts