RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So according to the manual to take gas out, I need a pump to pump it out. I was wondering if there was a different way, like having it drain out from the bottom? I've never done this before so I don't know wtf to do.

·
Registered
10,327 Posts
You can get a little fuel pump that is plastic fuel line and a squeeze bulb. It is cheap and you put the receiving container on the floor. Once the fuel starts to flow gravity takes over and drains most of the fuel out as long as the hose is at the bottom of the tank.

If you are not sure how to use it, practice with a sink full of water and a bucket on the floor.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You can get a little fuel pump that is plastic fuel line and a squeeze bulb. It is cheap and you put the receiving container on the floor. Once the fuel starts to flow gravity takes over and drains most of the fuel out as long as the hose is at the bottom of the tank.

If you are not sure how to use it, practice with a sink full of water and a bucket on the floor.
I know how to use a pump :killingme. It's just that I was wondering if I could remove the gas without one. But since you said it should be cheap I guess i can just do it this way.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Well when I knew people who would siphon gas from other cars...they would take a tube/hose thing, suck up the gas til it got on their mouth and then place that end in a container and let nature take its course...

You'd be the pump!

·
Registered
10,327 Posts
I know how to use a pump :killingme. It's just that I was wondering if I could remove the gas without one. But since you said it should be cheap I guess i can just do it this way.
You would be surprised to know how many people can not figure one of these out, because they don't ahve a check valve in them. $3 for the one below. Just like sucking the gas out of a car without getting any in your mouth.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/we...tom-Accessories_9013229-P_N3243_T|GRP2035____

·
Registered
552 Posts
Turning the tank upside down and shaking will work,but you won't get the remaining small bit out.i replaced my fuel pump 3 weeks ago.

·
Registered
291 Posts
...not unless you shake it directly over your bike lol. Just let it sit over a big bucket and drain, place a towel or something soft around the rim if you're scared. Gas on the paint won't hurt as long as you wipe it off when it gets there. Ever have gas jump out of the tank while you're filling it? Notice how it evaporates rather quickly? :)

·
Registered
293 Posts
Why take fuel out? You dont drain your car when you dont drive for a few weeks?!?!

I add fuel stabilizer to my boat at the end of the season. Who knows if it does anything, adds peace of mind.
Even know of some that never use stabil in there fuel tank (100 gallons) and boat runs great the next spring.

·
Registered
291 Posts
There's plenty of reasons why one would remove the gas from their tank; removing it just for storage is obviously not required.
I always remove as much as possible when doing something with the fuel pump - makes life easier.

·
Registered
35 Posts
This is may sound really stupid but...
Since I've not done it myself I don't have any experience with it but the "How To" on a site I saw didn't mention draining the tank for removal. It just said that having a pre-emtied tank would be better since 4 gallons of gas could be heavy and make the job harder.
I just imagined that there was a check valve built into the clip on the fuel line.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Yah, if you're just trying to get under the tank, and have no reason to actually drain it... You can just pop that little red thing off plug, and yank the hose out. It'll drip a little before it seals up, but it's not a big deal if you have a shop rag handy.

What are you trying to do anyway? What's your reason for removing the tank?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Yah, if you're just trying to get under the tank, and have no reason to actually drain it... You can just pop that little red thing off plug, and yank the hose out. It'll drip a little before it seals up, but it's not a big deal if you have a shop rag handy.

What are you trying to do anyway? What's your reason for removing the tank?
+1, although I would caution you to be dainty while removing the hose from the fuel pump; make sure you get the red clip off, and work the fitting by spinning it as you apply pressure. The fitting on the fuel pump is plastic, and if it snaps you just bought yourself a new fuel pump :\

·
Registered
291 Posts
True - but you don't completely remove the red clip off the fuel hose. That can actually break off; you don't want that to happen. You only have to move it up enough until it clicks into it's up position. This allows you to move the fitting past the barb on the fuel pump.

Also, there isn't anything that "seals up" when you remove the fuel hose; you're just witnessing residual fuel in the line draining out.

Upon reinstallation of the line, if it's been off for awhile, I've always found it handy to lubricate the plastic barb on the pump with a bit of fuel. This lets the hose slip over into position alot easier than it would otherwise. A little lube makes everyone happier :p

1 - 19 of 19 Posts