RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a bunch of mods to my bike and realized I was getting really really crappy MPG. Started calculating and its about 23 mpg. I've done Exhaust, TB JBP, Airbox Mod, IAP mod, Pair Valve, 14T sprocket, Just did a tune up, & Clutch Springs. My JBP has a stripped out dial so I'm not sure which map I was running, but now I've put chdrummerdude's map (Thank you again) on all slots, so I'm deff. running that now. Going to calc. the milage continuing on, but I was wondering If that mpg is fairly standard with the mods etc. I am running 91 octane and I do drive a bit quickly, mostly stop and go city driving. Not that I really mind the low milage, but wondering if it's running too rich or if there is a problem.

Reactions: chdrummerdude

·
Registered
10,328 Posts
Did any of those mods change the compression ratio requiring you to run 91? Might be burning some of that fuel in the exhaust.

·
Banned
3,123 Posts
Not that I really mind the low milage, but wondering if it's running too rich or if there is a problem.
Yes it is probably too rich.......and now it's geared too low also.
You can't have your cake and eat it too.

Properly trimmed fuel settings probably would help but there is a BIG trade off for all the changes that you made.......especially if you ride it like you stole it.

·
Super Moderator
2,398 Posts
There must be something wrong somewhere - I have a stock 2015 650 and according to the on-board gauge I get 18k per litre - approx 44 mpg and I gas it every chance I get (I always run 95+ - a service station here offers 98% and for a few extra pesos per litre, I will fill up there when ever I can, I never run the lowest octane rating in any vehicle - that is the MINIMUM required for it to actually run, maybe that is contributing to the poor mpg).

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
I averaged 45 on my 2013 stock, and have gotten mpg in the 50s. After mods I went down to an average 40-43 i think? I dont see how those mods would bring you to 23. Even with a 14t which is only 1 down, you should not get that low. In a different sprocket thread someone mentioned their mpgs going down but it was pretty minimal, and definitely not a ~50% decrease. Go run a zero map for a while ( burn a tank of gas on a zero map) and see if that changes back to normal mpgs.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
Yes it is probably too rich.......and now it's geared too low also.
You can't have your cake and eat it too.

Properly trimmed fuel settings probably would help but there is a BIG trade off for all the changes that you made.......especially if you ride it like you stole it.
That trade off for me wasnt big. 2-5 mpg different, and I dont exactly pu55yfoot my bike.

·
Super Moderator
2,398 Posts
I averaged 45 on my 2013 stock, and have gotten mpg in the 50s.
50mpg? that must be when you rode it like a Lolo (granddad)...joke amigo ;)

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
50mpg? that must be when you rode it like a Lolo (granddad)...joke amigo ;)
Oddly no lol! On the I5, when I went on a short 30 minute ride to see a shock for sale, I was going around 85 mph. What I think caused the really good mpg was the fact that I got to speed and maintained it for most of the ride. The ride is flat with elevation consistent for the most part, and minimal turning.

·
Registered
93 Posts
My 2014 Ninja 650 gets 50-62 MPG on the highway...it depends on speed, 55-60-65-70-75. I might drop to 48-49 MPG if the speed limit is 75 mph, but the "ECO" mode kicks in & brings it back up slowly to 50 MPG'ish. I have to say, 55 overall. But again, I have the '14 which has the "ECO" function...that really is hard to beat with a 3.5 s 0-60 mph. I don't stare at my gauges the entire time, but the "ECO" will flash/solid. I'm like whatever, good enough.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I agree with the above posts. I get about 40 mpg in city, but my last trip to Cali and back i got between 50 and 60 mpg and i cruised most of the way between 70-80mph. I did get on it a lot down there since i was feeling a lot more power being 50 feet above sea level, but the bike does get good gas mileage for highway.

·
Registered
334 Posts
My 2014 Ninja 650 gets 50-62 MPG on the highway...it depends on speed, 55-60-65-70-75. I might drop to 48-49 MPG if the speed limit is 75 mph, but the "ECO" mode kicks in & brings it back up slowly to 50 MPG'ish. I have to say, 55 overall. But again, I have the '14 which has the "ECO" function...that really is hard to beat with a 3.5 s 0-60 mph. I don't stare at my gauges the entire time, but the "ECO" will flash/solid. I'm like whatever, good enough.
Just for clarification there isn't actually an ECO 'mode'. The ECO light lights up when you are riding the bike in an economical way (light acceleration etc.) It's just lighting up that 'light' when it senses that YOU are riding in a fuel efficient manner. The bike itself doesn't do anything different - it's just telling you when you are riding economically.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I'd say your running rich. Is there a chance that the dial thats stripped is in a rich condition. To my knowledge you can run a base map and those dials allow you to make adjustments to the map. Good chance your map is a bit fudged if that dial is turned up too much. Of the mods stated I didn't have the gearing or airbox mod. What is your elevation for where you live? That map was created at about 400-700ft above sea level depending where I rode too. And there is no need to run anything more than 87 octane with those mods. Anything higher and you actually can hinder performance more than help. These bikes are tuned to run on 87. And I always got 45+mpg. Don't let people fool you and say higher octane fuel will make your bike run better. Run what it was designed to run and you will be able to pull out every bit of performance the ninja 650 has to offer. Oh and 87 octane has the best performance per gram compared to anything with higher octane. All the higher octane rating means is the gas is less likely to cause pre-ignition or detonation because it doesn't combust as easily and can withstand higher cylinder temps.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Not to hijack but its related. How do you guys stay in gear do you always stay in 4th or 5th gear? Me and my buddies have 650s and I dunno if they just telling me bs claims they go 26-30km/l co'z I am averaging at 22km/l and if I give her a good spank it goes low at 13km/l. So I ask them how they do it and their reply was "the bike is happy at 5th gear" and so I tried staying there which is absolutely no fun at all and there was no difference in gas mileage! My bike is stock btw 2013.

In my experience, higher octane fuel is a waste and the bike consumes it faster than the standard required octane fuel for our bike.

·
Super Moderator
2,398 Posts
I get 18kpl riding around town. 5th gear? Sounds like total BS to me (including the 26-30kpl) - if that were the case, there would be no need for the 6th one. I always run the highest octane, not especially for performance but because I believe the bike runs smoother and cleaner. The 650 is rated at 50mpg (21kpl) and that rating is combined city/country riding.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I get 18kpl riding around town. 5th gear? Sounds like total BS to me (including the 26-30kpl) - if that were the case, there would be no need for the 6th one. I always run the highest octane, not especially for performance but because I believe the bike runs smoother and cleaner. The 650 is rated at 50mpg (21kpl) and that rating is combined city/country riding.
I don't know the quality and regulations on the fuel in the Philippines but here in the US running anything higher than 87 is a waste of money on a bike that doesn't require higher octane. Higher octane doesn't burn cleaner or better but can actually hinder performance. The higher the number the harder it is for the fuel to actually ignite/combust.

·
Super Moderator
2,398 Posts
I don't know the quality and regulations on the fuel in the Philippines but here in the US running anything higher than 87 is a waste of money on a bike that doesn't require higher octane. Higher octane doesn't burn cleaner or better but can actually hinder performance. The higher the number the harder it is for the fuel to actually ignite/combust.
My Owners Manual (2015 650) states (for bikes sold in the Philippines) to use 91RON. The Regular petrol here is 81..the Premium is 95...so I kind of don't have much choice.

EDIT: Thanks for your post - I got reading about Premium (most articles are about cars), but it was an interesting read.

·
Registered
297 Posts
My Owners Manual (2015 650) states (for bikes sold in the Philippines) to use 91RON. The Regular petrol here is 81..the Premium is 95...so I kind of don't have much choice.

EDIT: Thanks for your post - I got reading about Premium (most articles are about cars), but it was an interesting read.
No problem at all. Sounds like 91RON would be your equivalent to our 87. Here in the US 85-95 octane is pretty much what I have found as our scale of fuel grades with 87,89,91,93 being the most common. I'm glad you went out and did your own research.

·
Registered
334 Posts
+1 on this. I hear lots of people talking about putting premium in and claiming they get better gas mileage, and/or the car (or bike) is more powerful. Unless the engine is specifically designed for premium, putting in higher grade is generally a waste of money. The higher the octane, the slower the fuel burns, and therefore potentially less efficient. The exceptions to this are the aforementioned cars/bikes designed for higher octane (like turbo/super charged engines etc.), and around here at least, many gas stations put up to 10% ethanol in the low and mid-grade fuels. Ethanol is bad for motorcycles, but particularly bad for older ones as ethanol is hygroscopic (meaning is absorbs water from the air), and ethanol is bad for certain components, unless the vehicle was designed with ethanol use in mind (see: EPA Admits Ethanol Damages Engines). So on some older bikes I've owned, I put premium in just to help 'preserve' them and keep rust out of the tank etc.

·
Super Moderator
2,398 Posts
+1 on this. I hear lots of people talking about putting premium in and claiming they get better gas mileage, and/or the car (or bike) is more powerful. Unless the engine is specifically designed for premium, putting in higher grade is generally a waste of money. The higher the octane, the slower the fuel burns, and therefore potentially less efficient. The exceptions to this are the aforementioned cars/bikes designed for higher octane (like turbo/super charged engines etc.), and around here at least, many gas stations put up to 10% ethanol in the low and mid-grade fuels. Ethanol is bad for motorcycles, but particularly bad for older ones as ethanol is hygroscopic (meaning is absorbs water from the air), and ethanol is bad for certain components, unless the vehicle was designed with ethanol use in mind (see: EPA Admits Ethanol Damages Engines). So on some older bikes I've owned, I put premium in just to help 'preserve' them and keep rust out of the tank etc.
That's pretty much what I read. In all honesty, I can't claim that I have noticed a difference between Regular and Premium...simply because I have never run Regular in any vehicle for all the time I have been riding/driving. When I started riding I was told "Use Super, it's better for your bike." I didn't know any different so I always used Super (Premium) thinking, I guess, that because it is higher priced, it must be better. I never did any research about fuel - I always thought: higher octane must be better...so I dutifully filled up every time with the higher octane fuel. I think that that was the general thinking of the time - kind of like an urban myth. The last four new cars that I bought all stated in their manuals that Premium should be used, and in many bike Owner's Manuals they list a MINIMUM octane rated fuel - which kind of implies that a higher rated fuel might be better...so I guess, in the final analysis, that over 40 years I have made various petroleum companies just that much richer...

Thanks to you guys for making me look at something that I have taken for granted for so long. Good posts and good thread.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts