RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello out there in zr 7 land, well heres the deal,if I put my tank on the bike with all hoses connected to tank,the bike wont even start,its appears no fuel,I have an aftermaret pitcock,on/off,capped carb where old pitcock vac hose was.
the new pitcock is flowing fuel when in the on position,if I hook up aux tank above the bike starts right up, can the vent lines that are in the tank get plugged ? is there somthing else I can look for,I have also tried with cap open
no differance.any thoughts,any help would be great.
Please and Thank You
Bob in Burbank

PS the same thing happened with old pitcock with vac line connected,it would flow in the prime position,no start,again appears no fuel.

·
Registered
413 Posts
The engine does not run from fuel from the tank. It runs from fuel in the carbs bowls. Even without a tank at all, the bike should run for a few minutes from fuel in the bowls alone. The tank only refills the bowls when the carb valve float opens due to low level in the bowls.

Yes, I can say is possible connecting the tank creates vacuum rather than allow fuel to flow....still find it difficult to believe the engine will not start for a few...…..also wonder about the fuel filter supposed to be on top of the petcock...at least the stock one.

On thing that helps greatly in this situation is a clear fuel filter between the petcock and carbs. I have it and can tell through the plastic when fuel is flowing, and can I also tell, when I remove the tank, there is still fuel on the engine side, and engine will start with no tank at all.

·
Registered
5,233 Posts
Did you hook the fuel line from the new petcock up to the correct place? If you connected it to where the vent lines were it would not run. It needs to go into the fuel rail at the rear between carbs 2 & 3. If you put it into one of the vent spigots on one carb it will not work.

I too would suspect the inline fuel filter at the fuel rail, however if it runs with an aux tank, that filter is likely fine.
Here's the filter slightly pulled out of the fuel rail "T" hose connector, and fully removed.

It's not likely a vent issue as you tested for that though by leaving with the fuel filler cap open.

I'm guessing if it works with a aux tank, but not with the oem tank and aftermarket petcock it's a petcock, dirty tank clogging a filter or a small diameter / blocked hose issue.

So you installed the aftermarket petock because the OEM was giving you the issues about not working except on prime?

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
As the above folks said. Also, what happens if you open the fuel cap? Does it then run? If so, tank venting could be an issue.

·
Registered
5,233 Posts
The only other wild idea I have is if it will run with an aux fuel tank, but not with the real tank on the bike, perhaps it's not a fuel issue, but a spark issue. When you install the tank could it be shorting any wires around the coils etc?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts