RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I've been out of commission for a while. Life got busy and had a back injury. Surgery seems to have largely solved my back pain so I pulled my bike out to start riding again.

What turned out to be a simple radiator flush has turned into something much more that I'm currently scratching my head about. A search through the forums has not returned any 'hits' that closely match the problem that I'm having.

After flushing the radiator and replacing the tank and all the lines I started it back up only to find a substantial amount of fuel dripping down onto the front cylinder. This was not happening prior to removing the tank so naturally, I assumed that I had not tightened something down good enough.

I busted the tank back out partially to try and figure out where the fuel leak is coming from. As best I can tell it's coming from the intake line to the fuel regulator or the regulator itself. I can clearly see fuel dripping from the bottom of the regulator. There is no fuel escaping from the vacuum hose end.

After taking the tank fully off again I removed the pipe injection (houses the fuel injectors) and separated the fuel regulator from it. I inspected all of the lines and the rubber washer that goes between the two as well as the little filter-strainer. Everything looked good. No loose fittings or wear marks. So, I put it all back together, tightened everything down, and fired it up again only to find that the leak is still there.

At this point, without being able to have much of a clear look directly at the area that the rubber hose connects to the regulator (while it's running) I'm left to assume one of a couple of things is wrong:

1. The fuel line has a crack in it that I'm just not seeing or the clamp is just not doing its job.
2. The Fuel regulator is broken 'for lack of a better term' and needs to be replaced. From what I've read there may be a 'diaphragm' in there?
3. The O-Ring in the Regulator is not sealing.

Anywhoo, here's a picture of the contraption out of the bike. If anyone has encountered a similar issue or is thinking of something I might have missed I would appreciate any input.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So, the problem turned out to be a cracked rubber fuel line (tube). I bought some replacement tubing at O'reily, cut it to fit and swapped it out. No more fuel leak AND my radiator fan is now working again which was the whole point of taking the tank off and changing the radiator fluid.!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Congratulations on solving the problem and even more so on solving your back issue. I've had mysteries like your fuel leak that have driven me nuts, and I find I often have to go back to the very beginning and go step by step through my troubleshooting process. I discovered that my biggest mistake was saying to myself, I've checked that before, so I KNOW that isn't the problem. After discovering I'd missed it on the first pass, I quit assuming anything, and work through the steps no matter how trivial. Fuel leaks can be tough because gas is such a thin fluid it can seep through the thinnest of gaps which aren't obvious visually.

Glad it was just a fuel line. It's always nice when a problem has a cheap fix.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Congratulations on solving the problem and even more so on solving your back issue. I've had mysteries like your fuel leak that have driven me nuts, and I find I often have to go back to the very beginning and go step by step through my troubleshooting process.
Thanks dude! It's good to be healthy again.

These types of forums are often a great place for information when troubleshooting a problem or just sharing whatever you are working on to help the next guy. With not being a professional mechanic sometimes the smallest suggestion or photo can immediately make the repair come into focus. It was, in fact, my youngest son who I helped learn to ride on my bike that gave me the idea that it was probably a fuel line. With a trip to O'Reily's and less than an hour later the problem is solved.

Now if I can just figure out this oil leak - haha! I've already fixed one oil leak by replacing the pushrod grommet but I have a smaller one near the cam chain tensioner on the rear cylinder. I've already replaced the gasket and the 2 O-rings so I'm pretty confident it's not the tensioner itself. Some of the forum posts suggest it could be the spark plug washers so I'll start there. There is a little weep hole on the engine cover just over the tensioner. It really looks like it's coming from there. It looks as if there should be a screw or plug that goes in there.

OH and then there is this. An extra part that was laying on the ground after I put everything back together. Looks like a bushing of some sort. Maybe for the tank? I'm kinda hoping that maybe it fell off my son's bike and not mine - LOL.

Anyway, when you have a bike, it's always one more thing - lol.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I went for a 4-hour ride with my son and cousin today and the bike did pretty well. What a beautiful day for a ride! Crossing the confluence of the Missouri and Illinois rivers at the Golden Eagle Ferry and then up to Hardin and back down to Pere Marquette was fantastic.

The bike now has 36,000 miles on it and the engine runs strong.

I've not yet found the culprit for the small oil leak so I'm putting that on the back burner while I work on fixing the slipping clutch. Lot's of good info out there about that. I have the 'beefier' Barnet clutch spring and I've emailed [email protected] to ask if he still sells the judge washers. I figure if I can get the washers I'll do both, if not The new spring should suffice.

I still don't know what that black bushing goes to. My son does not think that it came off of his bike so time will tell.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So, the problem turned out to be a cracked rubber fuel line (tube). I bought some replacement tubing at O'reily, cut it to fit and swapped it out. No more fuel leak AND my radiator fan is now working again which was the whole point of taking the tank off and changing the radiator fluid.!
Which hose exactly was cracked? The formed hose with the pressure/spring clamps on the ends and the webbed tubing taped around it with a band of grey/beige tape, the longer hose with the lock fittings on the ends, and an elbow between sections of the hose, or the short, stumpy hose with the screw hose clamps that you show in the picture?

Thanks, great post, helps a lot!!!

Jimmy

1 - 6 of 6 Posts