RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 ninja 500r that I took for a 125 mile ride yesterday. Everything went fine, ran like a top, parked for the night and when I went to start up this morning it was having an issue starting, got it running and two blocks down the road it started to leak fuel. I pulled over and it was leaking fuel most definitely. With the petcock in the on position it was sputtering and idling really low with black smoke pouring out of the exhaust, which lead me to belive running rich, possibly flooded carbs. I thought it may have been a stuck float so I drained the carbs with the Allen screw on the bottom of the bowl. I was told to just try to start it with the petcock in the on position but it won't start. So what could be causing the leak? And how do I fix it? Any way to fix it that would not require me to take the whole damn thing apart? I don't have the tools where I'm at currently. Sorry about the potato quality of the picture, but it appears to be leaking from the space between the two carbs. image.jpg photo.jpg

·
Banned
4,318 Posts
Look down into the fuel tank, do you see any rust in the bottom of the tank? I mean any...

Really hard to help without being there.

I cannot remember if the Ex500's had a vacuum petcock or not, I do not believe they do. If it has an "OFF" position you should turn it to the off position until you figure out the problem.

If you manage to get it started again and it does the same thing, use the plastic end of a screwdriver or something similar and smack the float bowls about 10-15 times each. You dont have to be super soft.

There is a chance a piece of crud or rust has stuck a float open and often tapping on the float bowl will dislodge it.

Wish I could be of more help.

·
Banned
2,525 Posts
I recommend checking to make sure your oil isn't contaminated with fuel too. If it's been leaking badly this is definitely possible.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello. I am new to the biking community and really need help. I have kawasaki zr750 and Was riding and suddenly the engine noise changes like I have misfire. Then notice it started guzzling fuel like crazy. When i stopped I saw some fuel leaking but not sure where from. When i accelerated up a hill,it left a small puddle of fuel. I suspect it is a Carb leak. Help?

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
Hello. I am new to the biking community and really need help. I have kawasaki zr750 and Was riding and suddenly the engine noise changes like I have misfire. Then notice it started guzzling fuel like crazy. When i stopped I saw some fuel leaking but not sure where from. When i accelerated up a hill,it left a small puddle of fuel. I suspect it is a Carb leak. Help?
Sounds like a stuck float caused by trash in the carbs. Probably just needs a good cleaning.

·
Banned
3,123 Posts
And fresh oil.
You should NOT be riding it or even running the engine for more than a short test until it's fixed.

I'm constantly amazed at the number of riders who keep going on a bike that is leaking fuel.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts