RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A pat on the back to the ZR7 techie who worked out the recalibration resistance for the fuel gauge mod.
The gauge needle now hits the redline at reserve instead of a half full tank :D

·
The Deer Slayer
7,382 Posts
Now I'm only using half as much gas as before.

Because I'm filling up half as much as before.

Because the gauge is showing half a tank at half a tank.

Now I'm using a full tank of gas when empty.

Who would have ever thunk a half a tank is empty.

My thanks to you too, who thunk half a tank was three quarts.

Next fill er up to get me past one eighth.

·
West Coast Moderator
12,996 Posts
I don't think you're not getting any better mileage than you were before you fixed your fuel gauge. Now the fuel gauge is more accurate. You're only filling up half as many times. 45 mpg is 45 mpg.
But now that it's "fixed", is it reading the correct level for the entire fuel tank, or is it just more accurate at the lower levels?

·
The Deer Slayer
7,382 Posts
Now wait a minute, I thought that resistor kept the engine from using so much gas. Are you telling me I'm still using the same amount of gas as before without the resistor. Why, I've even written Radio Shack, telling them they had the answer to the fuel crisis hanging on their parts wall. The .79 cents solution to the world's oil consumption. Damn, how could I have been decieved like this.:eek:

·
Silver Member
479 Posts
Obviously, you use more gas with this tiny resistor. You put more gas to the tank every time, do you? What could you expect from such a cheap mod? If you really really want to save gas you should try chromed wheels or clear taillight. Yeah, clear taillight and xenon bulb!

Martin, gauge won't became more accurate in the whole range. When you fill the tank full needle is far above the F mark. Sensor is unlinear, meter is unlinear and shape of the tank doesn't help also. Half of the tank - when the needle passed third of the scale. As I mentioned before, it's possible to calibrate this thing for two points - full and reserve or half and reserve, but mod won't be so simple and I don't think it worth it. If you interested, I can tell you how to do that.

·
West Coast Moderator
12,996 Posts
I was just seeing (on a wider scale now that a few have made the mod) what kind of readings (for accuracy) the folks were getting.

I've been using the tripmeter method for so long that the fuel gauge is just a conversation piece. About the only time I use the fuel gauge is when I accidently bump the tripmeter knob while cleaning and knock the mileage off, and that's only to give me an idea.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts